PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mechanics for Fighting Slavery?

Palanan
2018-03-26, 10:37 PM
Does Pathfinder have any specific mechanics that would help, say, a paladin of freedom be more effective at fighting slavery?

I know that any class can bring their own particular strengths to bear on a target, but I’m looking for mechanics that are specifically intended to be used against slavers, or for freeing slaves in general. I’m open to anything—feats, spells, traits, archetypes, etc.—from any official Paizo source.

And conversely, are there any mechanics that make evil creatures more effective at capturing and keeping slaves?

Yogibear41
2018-03-26, 10:52 PM
Once played in a low level game (we were all 1st level) we waited til some drunk commoners came out of an inn in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom in the alley or whatever, we knocked them out with saps, and then sold them into slavery, easy money.

As far as capturing slaves, low end stuff like saps work's great on 1d4 1st level commoners, going up the ladder a little bit, web is great for catching more than one as well as the non-lethal spells from PHB2, the whelm line if I recall, there is a mass version that is xd6 non-lethal damage, that would be pretty spiffy for knocking guys out, as well as deep slumber, sleep, etc.

Most effective tool depends on the situation, environment, and resources at hand really.

Some form of Mass Knock could be useful for unbinding a large number of held prisoners/slaves but without knowing a specific situation its hard to pick a winning strategy.

Palanan
2018-03-26, 10:59 PM
Let me clarify:

I am looking for any game mechanics intended as character options for PCs who are focused on fighting slavers and liberating slaves. I am interested in any feats, archetypes, prestige classes or other published game mechanics which would contribute to a character with this focus. I am open to any game mechanics from any official Paizo source.

Bucky
2018-03-27, 12:52 AM
The Steel Falcon prestige class gains effectively Favored Enemy: Slave Owners at first level. I don't think much of that particular prestige class, but it does do what you're asking for.

legomaster00156
2018-03-27, 08:22 AM
Pirates of the Inner Sea presents the Andoran privateers, with traits that make them more effective at fighting slavers on and off the high seas.

stack
2018-03-27, 09:12 AM
There is a trait:

Andoren Freedom Fighter
Source Inner Sea Primer pg. 4
Requirement(s) Andoran
You’ve dedicated your life to fighting against oppression, tyranny, and slavery. You gain a +1 trait bonus on attack and damage rolls against slavers or any creature holding someone against their will.

On the evil side, sap master on a rogue (or vivisectionist) can get some respectable non-lethal damage for capturing slaves. Believe there are items that may be of interest as well, can't recall what all off the top of my head.

Andor13
2018-03-27, 09:23 AM
Does Pathfinder have any specific mechanics that would help, say, a paladin of freedom be more effective at fighting slavery?

I know that any class can bring their own particular strengths to bear on a target, but I’m looking for mechanics that are specifically intended to be used against slavers, or for freeing slaves in general. I’m open to anything—feats, spells, traits, archetypes, etc.—from any official Paizo source.

And conversely, are there any mechanics that make evil creatures more effective at capturing and keeping slaves?

For fighting slavers, some options have been mentioned, you would probably also want some options for rapidly freeing people from cages/manacles/coffles whatever. Adamantine weapons or various freedom effects would serve.

Fighting slavery is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. That's either high level political/religious stuff where you're trying to change the culture that supports slavery, or high level economic stuff where you try to remove the economic incentives that make slavery practical/desirable.

Geddy2112
2018-03-27, 10:15 AM
There is an entire organization in Golarion called the Harvesters that are dedicated to fighting slavery.

They have two (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/vigilante/archetypes/vigilante-archetypes-paizo-inc/harvester-vigilante-archetype/) archetypes (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo-rogue-archetypes/irrigator-rogue-archetype/) and a prestige (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/harvester-tiller/) class.

Florian
2018-03-27, 10:27 AM
There is an entire organization in Golarion called the Harvesters

Oh, please, it´s the Bellflower Network and is covered pretty much in-depth, as are some parts of the Andoran (para)military. *Points towards Adventurer Guide*

stack
2018-03-27, 11:02 AM
There is an entire organization in Golarion called the Harvesters that are dedicated to fighting slavery.

They have two (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/vigilante/archetypes/vigilante-archetypes-paizo-inc/harvester-vigilante-archetype/) archetypes (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo-rogue-archetypes/irrigator-rogue-archetype/) and a prestige (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/harvester-tiller/) class.

Oh, please, it´s the Bellflower Network and is covered pretty much in-depth, as are some parts of the Andoran (para)military. *Points towards Adventurer Guide*

Note to Geddy, the PFSRD has to change the names of setting specific stuff. The Archives of Nethys lists the proper names.

legomaster00156
2018-03-27, 11:21 AM
Oh, and there is also the Liberator (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo-rogue-archetypes/liberator-rogue-archetype/) archetype for Rogues, which specializes in breaking slaves out by hiding among them.

RoboEmperor
2018-03-27, 11:22 AM
Tyranny and slavery is usually related to Law. Freedom is related to Chaos. So you can just grab a bunch of anti-law stuff.

hamishspence
2018-03-27, 11:41 AM
NE and CE villains do often keep slaves though. "Anti-law stuff" might come into play a bit more often than "anti-chaos" stuff - but not necessarily hugely more often.

Palanan
2018-03-27, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Bucky
The Steel Falcon prestige class gains effectively Favored Enemy: Slave Owners at first level. I don't think much of that particular prestige class, but it does do what you're asking for.

This is exactly the sort of thing I’m looking for, thanks.

What don’t you like about this PrC?

Originally Posted by stack
Andoren Freedom Fighter

Originally Posted by Geddy2112

They have two archetypes and a prestige class.

Originally Posted by legomaster00156
Oh, and there is also the Liberator archetype for Rogues, which specializes in breaking slaves out by hiding among them.

These are all excellent for my needs, thanks.

Is there anything else along these lines?

Telonius
2018-03-27, 12:37 PM

Thrallherd (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/thrallherd/) comes to mind.

Palanan
2018-03-27, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by legomaster00156
Pirates of the Inner Sea presents the Andoran privateers, with traits that make them more effective at fighting slavers on and off the high seas.

I missed this one earlier. What exactly do the traits provide, and are there any feats, etc. to complement them?

Bucky
2018-03-27, 05:49 PM
This is exactly the sort of thing I’m looking for, thanks.

What don’t you like about this PrC?

As a prestige class, its features need to keep up with the base classes' higher level features. Steel Falcon's class features mostly don't:

Favored Enemy would scale slightly faster than a Ranger's, except for the Ranger's five level head start. (future entries here assume entering the prestige class at 6)

Their traps are those that a Ranger would get at level 1, but the Falcon gets them at 8. At least the save DC scales per the Falcon's actual level rather than their Falcon level. Ditto with favored enemy progression.

Aid Another is rarely a good use of combat actions by level 9, and their boost to it only works in combat.

The bard song and ability to share the favored enemy each do a fair imitation of a bard 4+ levels lower. Fortunately, they stack against susceptible enemies.

The Fear-spell effect is fixed at CL10, and is picked up at character level 12.

That leaves it with the following :
* A nice bonus against slave-owners, but it'd be useful only a minority of the time even in high slavery campaigns.
* Rerolls! These are fun.
* Extra resilience vs. charms and compulsion.
* Some pretty big but oddly specific skill bonuses that mostly come online at the tail end of when they're useful before spells completely take over the utility roles.

Aside from the skill bonuses, you can pick that all up with a 2-level dip and then you're probably better off back in your base class. Maybe it's worth sticking to if you entered from Fighter?

Psyren
2018-03-27, 06:25 PM
My suggestion (in a "teach a man to fish" sort of way) is that you broaden your search from just things that mention slavery specifically, to things that are designed to combat the kinds of tactics slavers are likely to use. For example, slavers probably routinely use charm and compulsion effects - even on a temporary basis, to apply their shackles in the first place. There are likely a ton of archetypes, feats, spells and items dedicated to battling such things. Similarly, slavers operate with tacit or at least implicit approval from their respective governments, so weeding those individuals who allow slavery to happen out of powerful positions would be useful too, and there are definitely archetypes out there geared toward exposing or undermining corruption in high places. Finally, there are several races and organizations known for their practice of slavery - drow, duergar, devils etc - and conversely, plenty of rules elements aimed at fighting them.

Palanan
2018-03-27, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Bucky
As a prestige class, its features need to keep up with the base classes' higher level features. Steel Falcon's class features mostly don't:

I appreciate your thorough critique, that’s extremely helpful.

Originally Posted by Psyren
My suggestion (in a "teach a man to fish" sort of way) is that you broaden your search from just things that mention slavery specifically, to things that are designed to combat the kinds of tactics slavers are likely to use.

I appreciate your suggestion as always, but it’s more helpful for my purposes to find character options targeted specifically on slavery.

Originally Posted by Psyren
…there are several races and organizations known for their practice of slavery - drow, duergar, devils etc - and conversely, plenty of rules elements aimed at fighting them.

No doubt true, but I expect those mechanics are based on fighting drow as a complete package, rather than slavers per se. Drow, duergar, etc. do keep slaves, but the mechanics would probably be just as effective if they didn’t, since they’re likely designed to deal with particular racial traits rather than cultural/economic practices.

That said, if you can point me towards rules elements targeting specific slaving groups, that could be worth a look.

Telonius
2018-03-27, 08:30 PM
I think part of the problem in giving that kind of advice is that "slavery" isn't just one thing. The institution is horrible all the time, but there's a spectrum from people who are technically slaves being in charge of a government department, to house servants, to laboring in the mines, to being captured and dominated by mind flayers. And just like "slavery" isn't just one thing, slavers aren't just one thing either. Are you going after people who own slaves, people who take slaves, people who transport slaves, sell slaves, preside over a society that allows slaves, all of the above?

Depending on how you answer that, there are going to be different things that could help you. Exactly how you go about freeing slaves will depend on how it is that they're being kept. If it's just a matter of "get them out of the chains," then anything that can slice chains is going to help you. But if it's more like, "Kill the wizard dominating them," that's going to need a whole other set of skills.

As far as I know there's not a sword that will give you +5 versus slavers, or something like that.