PDA

View Full Version : Price of an srd item with no listed cost

CMagnum
2018-03-27, 12:08 AM
A player found the eye of the orc in the srd, but there is no price listed.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Eye_of_the_Orc

A +6 giants belt costs 36,000 gold. The eye of the orc would do the same but also with a +6 to Charisma for him (he is an orc). On top of that he gets true seeing just by holding it in front of him.

What would an appropriate cost for this item be? 172,000?

Thanks for the help

Ashtagon
2018-03-27, 12:24 AM
The SRD lists it as a major artifact. That means a) it is unique, b) it is beyond the scope of standard crafting rules, and c) the price is whatever anyone within the campaign is willing to pay for it.

Pricing it using the (extremely wonky) rules in the SRD for custom magic items...

This lump of rock has a marquis-cut black sapphire set in its center, making it appear similar to a large eye. If possessed by an orc, it grants a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength and Charisma, and the orc’s darkvision range is doubled. Nonorcs who possess the Eye gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength but take a -2 penalty to Intelligence and Charisma. Regardless of the owner’s race, any weapon wielded by the owner of the Eye is considered an elf bane weapon. Furthermore, by holding the Eye before the character, he or she can perceive things as if he or she had true seeing cast upon him or her. This can be activated only once per day but lasts as long as the character concentrates on it (requiring a standard action each round).

+6 enhancement bonus to Strength = (6^2) x1.5 (no affinity) x1000 = 54k
+6 enhancement bonus to Charisma = (6^2) x1.5 (no affinity) x1000 = 54k
x2 darkvision range (treated as continuous use darkvision spell) = CL 3 x 2 x1.5 (no affinity) x1000 = 9k
true seeing (use-activated, 1/day) = CL 11 x 6 x0.2 (1/day) x1 (affinity slot ok, as must be held in front of character for effect) = 13.2k

That comes to 130,200 gp so far.

bane weapon effect: +1 weapon bonus

Since the bane effect should be based on the weapon modifiers, it gets wonky. As this eye an epic magic item, we can assume the PC should have a +5 weapon by this point, so we can price it as the difference between +5 and +6, multiplied by 1.5 because affinity. That's an additional 33,000 gp.

Total: 163,200 gp.

Edit: Strictly speaking, the curse part should also be priced as two separate two-point enhancement modifiers. I decided to ignore them for pricing purposes though.

Venger
2018-03-27, 01:54 AM
in addition to what Ashtagon said, that isn't the srd, that's dandwiki. Never use that site for anything, it's full of terrible homebrew that claims to be ogl content. here (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm) is a link to the actual srd for future reference.

Arkhios
2018-03-27, 06:41 AM
in addition to what Ashtagon said, that isn't the srd, that's dandwiki. Never use that site for anything, it's full of terrible homebrew that claims to be ogl content. here (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm) is a link to the actual srd for future reference.

This. Another fairly good srd website (yet still as trustworthy as d20srd.org) is http://dndsrd.net.

I guess it boils down to which layout you prefer. I prefer the latter myself.

CMagnum
2018-03-27, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the info and clarification on the srd. I'll throw the dndwiki bookmark in the trash now

torrasque666
2018-03-27, 08:27 PM
I've yet to actually see anything on dandwiki tagged as SRD when its not.

Crake
2018-03-28, 01:03 AM
I've yet to actually see anything on dandwiki tagged as SRD when its not.

I agree, I wouldn't say it "claims" to be OGL, it just doesn't do a good job of immediately differentiating between homebrew and ogl, doubly so for a new user who doesn't know what signs to look out for.

Also, for the pricing calculations: The item is slotless, you merely need to possess it for the effects to be used, so it's price should be doubled for that. Additionally, each ability except the most expensive should have a 50% cost increase for multiple abilities.

All in all, it should look more like this:
+6 bonus to str: 36,000 *2 (slotless) *1.5 (multiple abilities)*0.9(race specific limitation): 97,200gp
+6 bonus to cha: 36,000 *2 (slotless) *1.5 (multiple abilities)*0.9(race specific limitation): 97,200gp
Double darkvision range isn't the same as a simple darkvision spell, since a normal orc's darkvision range is 60ft, and the darkvision spell doesn't stack with that at all.
Deeper darkvision is a 3rd level spell that grants 90ft darkvision and ignores miss chance of magical darkness of shadowy illumination, superior darkvision is a 4th level spell that gives infinite range darkvision, but no benefits against magical darkness. I would price 120ft darkvision at halfway between those two, so
(3*5*2000gp+4*7*2000gp)/2 = 43,000 *2(slotless)*0.9(race specific limitation) = 77,400gp (no multiple abilities modifier here because it's the most expensive ability)
True seeing: 6*11*2000gp/5(once per day)*0.75(unique limitation: must concentrate)*1.5(multiple abilities)+(250*50 expensive material component, limited uses per day): 42,200gp

So without the elf bane ability which is hard to price, you're already looking at: 314,000gp

Celestia
2018-03-28, 01:14 AM
I agree, I wouldn't say it "claims" to be OGL, it just doesn't do a good job of immediately differentiating between homebrew and ogl, doubly so for a new user who doesn't know what signs to look out for.
Sure it does. All OGL content has a label right at the top of the page saying "This material is published under the OGL." Also, if you look at the bottom of the page, you can see clear labels of either OGL or Homebrew based on its location on the site. I have never understood why people are so adamantly opposed to dandwiki. It very obviously labels its stuff. Is everyone just so obliviously unobservant that they can't see it?

Crake
2018-03-28, 02:31 AM
Sure it does. All OGL content has a label right at the top of the page saying "This material is published under the OGL." Also, if you look at the bottom of the page, you can see clear labels of either OGL or Homebrew based on its location on the site. I have never understood why people are so adamantly opposed to dandwiki. It very obviously labels its stuff. Is everyone just so obliviously unobservant that they can't see it?

As I said in my post, those of us who have used the site for enough time will quickly learn to identify those things, but on the other hand, if your friend links you dand wiki, and says "here's the SRD" and you begin browsing it, your eyes aren't exactly drawn to those labels, and some people may not even know what those things mean. Many new users will see some official content, and assume that the site itself is nothing more than official concent, and not even think to look for signs that something is homebrew.

Celestia
2018-03-28, 03:14 AM
As I said in my post, those of us who have used the site for enough time will quickly learn to identify those things, but on the other hand, if your friend links you dand wiki, and says "here's the SRD" and you begin browsing it, your eyes aren't exactly drawn to those labels, and some people may not even know what those things mean. Many new users will see some official content, and assume that the site itself is nothing more than official concent, and not even think to look for signs that something is homebrew.
It sounds like you're just assuming that other people are stupid. Now, many are, but I still like to hope for the best.

Crake
2018-03-28, 04:31 AM
It sounds like you're just assuming that other people are stupid. Now, many are, but I still like to hope for the best.

Actually I'm speaking from personal experience, the anecdotal experience I've heard from others both in this site and real life, as well as having a player who works in user experience and design who's used the site before.

PersonMan
2018-03-28, 07:33 AM
Regarding dandwiki: The banner at the top pointing out whether the page is homebrew or an SRD page does a lot to help clarify things, I think.

InvisibleBison
2018-03-28, 08:33 AM
So... If dandwiki is so good at accurately labeling things as being homebrew or SRD, could someone tell me where the item that sparked this thread is from? Because I can't find it in any other SRD site that I look at.

Blue Jay
2018-03-28, 10:26 AM

The dandwiki's SRD is generally accurate, but it also takes a few liberties. For example, they calculated the stats and prices of weapons made out of special materials, and added them as a table on individual weapons' pages with the "Official 3.5e content" label on top of the page. One I came across last week was the mundane crystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/specialMaterials.htm#crystalMundane) special material from the psionics SRD (here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Quarterstaff) is the quarterstaff page, for example). There are some ambiguities in the SRD as to whether non-metal weapons and armor can be made of mundane crystal, or about whether a crystal item counts as metallic; but the dandwiki writer(s) made their own judgment call on these points and filled out their tables accordingly. Also note that the dandwiki writers gave the crystal weapons hardness based on their material, and hit points based on the "hp-per-inch-thickness" formula (by RAW, weapons have hardness and hit points that aren't dependent on their material, except when the specific material says otherwise, like adamantine does).

None of this seems like terribly important detail to me, but it does set a bit of precedent that I think justifies skepticism towards dandwiki.

----

Of course, in this case, the Eye of the Orc is a perfectly legitimate SRD artifact, listed in the "Epic Magic Items" section of the two "legitimate" SRD sites (here (http://dndsrd.net/epicArtifacts.html) and here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/artifacts.htm#eyeoftheOrc)).

Nifft
2018-03-28, 12:42 PM
The dandwiki's SRD is generally accurate, but it also takes a few liberties. For example, they calculated the stats and prices of weapons made out of special materials, and added them as a table on individual weapons' pages with the "Official 3.5e content" label on top of the page. One I came across last week was the mundane crystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/specialMaterials.htm#crystalMundane) special material from the psionics SRD (here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Quarterstaff) is the quarterstaff page, for example). There are some ambiguities in the SRD as to whether non-metal weapons and armor can be made of mundane crystal, or about whether a crystal item counts as metallic; but the dandwiki writer(s) made their own judgment call on these points and filled out their tables accordingly. Also note that the dandwiki writers gave the crystal weapons hardness based on their material, and hit points based on the "hp-per-inch-thickness" formula (by RAW, weapons have hardness and hit points that aren't dependent on their material, except when the specific material says otherwise, like adamantine does).

None of this seems like terribly important detail to me, but it does set a bit of precedent that I think justifies skepticism towards dandwiki.

Agreed.

Additionally, the wiki nature of "dndwiki" means that any observed accuracy today is one prank user away from erroneous or malicious modification.

The bigger wikis rely on a motivated and active editorial community to ensure that content remains accurate over time. Is there any such community for "dndwiki"? What I see is mostly just a bunch of homebrewers who want to show off their own content.

PersonMan
2018-03-28, 02:53 PM
Additionally, the wiki nature of "dndwiki" means that any observed accuracy today is one prank user away from erroneous or malicious modification.

The bigger wikis rely on a motivated and active editorial community to ensure that content remains accurate over time. Is there any such community for "dndwiki"? What I see is mostly just a bunch of homebrewers who want to show off their own content.

The SRD pages can't be edited, at least not by normal users.

Blue Jay
2018-03-28, 03:05 PM
The SRD pages can't be edited, at least not by normal users.

You just tried, didn't you? :smallwink:

smetzger
2018-03-28, 03:16 PM
I think you are mixing up OGL and SRD.

OGL can be anything that anybody declares as OGL.
SRD - this is generally referred to as the rules that WOTC has released under the OGL. But, anyone can release a bunch of rules under the OGL and call them an SRD. For instance there is a Pathfinder SRD.

zergling.exe
2018-03-28, 03:23 PM
So... If dandwiki is so good at accurately labeling things as being homebrew or SRD, could someone tell me where the item that sparked this thread is from? Because I can't find it in any other SRD site that I look at.

Of course, in this case, the Eye of the Orc is a perfectly legitimate SRD artifact, listed in the "Epic Magic Items" section of the two "legitimate" SRD sites (here (http://dndsrd.net/epicArtifacts.html) and here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/artifacts.htm#eyeoftheOrc)).

If you have the Epic Level Handbook, it is known as the Eye of Gruumsh. The SRD just made it generic. Though I am confused that Google searches of 'Eye of the Orc' and 'Eye of Gruumsh' both turn up nothing except the d&dwiki link for the first, and the PrC for the second.

PersonMan
2018-03-28, 03:26 PM
You just tried, didn't you? :smallwink:

I checked, just to be sure, but already remembered seeing the "this page is part of the SRD, and cannot be edited. Try the Talk page if you have problems" notice in the past.