PDA

View Full Version : How to fight within the earth

solooize
2018-03-27, 12:51 AM
Hello good people, I'm going into a high power campaign and need help....I'm looking to fight/move in the earth ...playing a dummy character on the surface. I'm going to be a necropolitan ...I'm looking for feats, armor, transportation, or spells....??? All I've found is earth glide, burrow 20ft, burrowing feat

Bucky
2018-03-27, 01:02 AM
You really want to pick up an ability like mindsight to detect things while you're underground, and Mindlink to communicate with the rest of the party.

One really nasty thing you can do is make a safe little cave and summon incorporeal creatures and earth elementals to swarm your enemies on the surface.

And finally, if you do have a reliable means of detection and the ground above is bare rather than supporting plants, Brilliant Energy ammo becomes a cheesy way to inflict damage while being untouchable. This last trick makes an introductory tier 0.5 duelling build; lower tier enemies are completely shut down, as are high tier enemies who aren't prepared for it.

solooize
2018-03-27, 01:10 AM
Me likey I can clear a spot easy enough

Uncle Pine
2018-03-27, 01:41 AM
Magic of Eberron has the Tumbler, an elemental vessel you can use to travel both on and inside earth.

solooize
2018-03-27, 02:29 AM
That's perfect ...it gives 300 tremor Sense ...I think I need a little more then tremor ...but it's a perk ...I just need to extend my telepathic power...and spell range

Eldariel
2018-03-27, 03:36 AM
Just Polymorph with Assume Supernatural Ability/Metamorphic Transfer your familiar/psi crystal into Spell-Weaver/Thoon Elder Brain/etc. and Psychic Reformation it into having Mindsight. This gives you a 50 mile plus radar. 1000 miles in the case of Spell-Weaver. One of the better detection methods in the game.

Only really outdone by Elemental Weird and spamming their free action Contact Other Plane to literally know everything.

Darrin
2018-03-27, 07:24 AM
This Jonnie B. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22945891&postcount=36) build from the current Junkyard Wars competition is an anthropomorphic shark that "swims" through the ground. There are several interesting ideas in there.

The easiest way to move through the earth is to get yourself a Stone Flyer (FR Underdark p. 99) and train it as a mount.

Falontani
2018-03-27, 03:24 PM
Level

Class

Base Attack Bonus

Fort Save

Ref Save

Will Save

Skills

Feats

Class Features

1st

Sha段r

+0

+0

+0

+2

Skills

Heighten Spell

Summon Gen Familiar

2nd

Sha段r

+1

+0

+0

+3

Skills

3rd

Sha段r

+1

+1

+1

+3

Skills

Energy Subsitution (Acid)

Recognize Genie Works

4th

Geomancer

+1

+3

+1

+5

Skills

Drift 1, Spell Versatility 0

5th

Geomancer

+2

+4

+1

+6

Skills

Drift 1, Spell Versatility 1, Ley Lines +1

6th

Elemental Savant

+2

+4

+1

+8

Skills

Earth Sense

Elemental Specialty, Resistance to Acid 5

7th

Elemental Savant

+3

+4

+1

+9

Skills

Immunity to Sleep

8th

Elemental Savant

+3

+5

+2

+9

Skills

Energy Penetration +2

9th

Elemental Savant

+4

+5

+2

+10

Skills

Earth Spell

Resistance to Acid 10

10th

Elemental Savant

+4

+5

+2

+10

Skills

Energy Focus +1

11th

Elemental Savant

+5

+6

+3

+11

Skills

Darkvision

12th

Elemental Savant

+5

+6

+3

+11

Skills

Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightenment: Earth Domain

Resistance to Acid 20

13th

Elemental Savant

+6

+6

+3

+12

Skills

Energy Penetration +4

14th

Elemental Savant

+6

+7

+4

+12

Skills

Immunity to Poison and Paralysis

15th

Elemental Savant

+7

+7

+4

+13

Skills

Touchstone: City of the Dead

Elemental Perfection, Energy Focus +2, Immunity to Acid

16th

Sand Shaper

+7

+7

+4

+15

Skills

Desert Insight, Dust Magic, Sand Shape

17th

Earth Dreamer

+7

+9

+4

+17

Skills

Earth Friend

18th

Earth Dreamer

+8

+10

+4

+18

Skills

Practiced Spellcaster: Sha段r

Earth Dream

19th

Earth Dreamer

+8

+10

+5

+18

Skills

Lesser Tremorsense

20th

Earth Dreamer

+9

+11

+5

+19

Skills

Earth Sight

just a build I threw together, basically you turn into an earth elemental to gain all the earth gliding abilities of an earth elemental (along with their other stuff) while having a full spellcasting ability and the ability to Rebuke/Command [Earth] Creatures. many of which have access to burrowing abilities. Your caster level with [Earth] Spells is ~25 before using Earth Spell.

Yes you can still be a Necropolitan with this and actually will probably be stronger as one as according to the Monster Manual all CON based abilities of an undead that aren't removed upon becoming undead change to CHA abilities. Meaning you can use Earth Sight for 3+Cha Mod *4 minutes.

With Flaws you can do a lot of this earlier and better (like grabbing Life Sight)

You can visit the Catalogues with your Gen familiar as an emissary for you as all you need is an object from the Catalogues, and your familiar can do the knowledge checks for you. If you choose to take Leadership then I would suggest grouping up with a Walker in the Waste as they turn everything around them into a desert while their in the area, allowing you to use your Ley Line caster level and Dust Magic caster level whenever near the walker.

Jowgen
2018-03-27, 04:50 PM
A ring of X-Ray Vision (which a necropolitan can use without limit) might help? It lets you see through 3 ft of wood/dirt or 1 ft of stone, so if you're underground in a square adjacent to the surface, I think it should let you have line of sight to creatures above?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

What I am woefully unclear on line of effect stuff related to burrowing. Can the surface-adjacent burrower use their reach to make melee attacks? I suspect yes, but not sure. Can they use rays, touchspells and/or regular targeted spells? Answer unclear to me.

If someone could clear that rule-mess up for me, I'd really appreciate it.