PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Favourite Tactical or Weapon Style Feats

Thurbane
2018-03-27, 01:37 AM
Like it says on the tin.

What are some Tactical or Weapon Style feats you like or have used on a character?

The main one I see mentioned is Lightning Maces for adaptive kukri (ab)use. That and Shock Trooper for uber charger builds.

All suggestions and discussion welcome.

Cheers - T

Troacctid
2018-03-27, 01:45 AM
Does Dire Flail Smash count?

Venger
2018-03-27, 01:52 AM
Does Dire Flail Smash count?

dire flail smash is neither a style nor a tactical feat, but it is pretty in keeping with the kind of stuff style feats give you.

I'm a huge fan of confound the big folk. Expensive, but definitely worth it on a skulk build.

hammer and piton, and torch and weapon are both underwhelming in normal play, but they kill in e6 games, so are very popular there.

Nifft
2018-03-27, 01:53 AM
Stormguard Warrior [Tactical] from ToB has some fun abilities, especially in combo with any kind of debuff touch attacks.

Venger
2018-03-27, 01:57 AM
Stormguard Warrior [Tactical] from ToB has some fun abilities, especially in combo with any kind of debuff touch attacks.

it goes great on any aoo build.

Darrin
2018-03-27, 08:10 AM
I'm a big fan of Three Mountains Style (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18367975&postcount=68). Save vs. nausea is nasty.

I've futzed around a little with Spinning Halberd + Haft Strike (from Dragon Compendium), but haven't been able to put it into a proper build yet. Haft Strike requires TWF as a prereq but doesn't actually use the TWF rules or specify that the haft is an offhand attack, so... four arms + two halberds maybe? But then the penalties are -6 primary/-6 offhand/-7 haft, which is not so great.

I'd like to see someone put Dire Flail Smash to good use, as daze is nastier than nausea. Prereqs are... okay for a style-type feat, although Improved Sunder certainly rankles. Flying Tiger (Secrets of Sarlona) makes my head hurt, but Wind and Fire could be very interesting in a bleeding/wounding build.

Venger
2018-03-27, 08:40 AM
I'm a big fan of Three Mountains Style (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18367975&postcount=68). Save vs. nausea is nasty.

I've futzed around a little with Spinning Halberd + Haft Strike (from Dragon Compendium), but haven't been able to put it into a proper build yet. Haft Strike requires TWF as a prereq but doesn't actually use the TWF rules or specify that the haft is an offhand attack, so... four arms + two halberds maybe? But then the penalties are -6 primary/-6 offhand/-7 haft, which is not so great.

I'd like to see someone put Dire Flail Smash to good use, as daze is nastier than nausea. Prereqs are... okay for a style-type feat, although Improved Sunder certainly rankles. Flying Tiger (Secrets of Sarlona) makes my head hurt, but Wind and Fire could be very interesting in a bleeding/wounding build.

three mountains is a pretty good effect, but it is really expensive, even for a style feat.

flying tiger is egregiously useless. it would be great for daremetoidareyo's feat optimization thread.

wind and fire, even with a bunch of natural attacks, is pretty underwhelming on its own. if you could contrive a way to get it as a druid you could use it in tandem with decomposition, or cast it next to a bloodstar or something.

Eldariel
2018-03-27, 09:08 AM
Elusive Target is awesome and a lot of fun. Works vs. basically all melee brutes and adds some nice tricks to your toolbox. Quite feat intensive and as an anti-melee defense quite situational but particularly the free trip for tricking an enemy into trying an AoO can have a lot of use (though don't expect enemies to fall for it more than once per encounter, especially with Tumble being as easy as it is).

Woodland Archer is, obviously, awesome though much like Shock Trooper, you use it for one of the abilities 99% of the time (#2 wouldn't be worthless either though if only Seeking weren't so cheap and ridiculous). Sniping kinda blows so #3 is eh. Well, you can make it work but it's not a key part of your build then.

Other than that, Combat Brute has some interesting but only modestly powerful options, but it's interesting to play around with (of course, Sunder is only so good much of time; only works against armed enemies you can't one-shot whose weapons aren't valuable enough that you'd want them). Shock Trooper in a bull rush build is actually a cool all-rounder (but extremely high-powered comparatively; all 3 of the abilities are very strong if you're a Dungeoncrasher).

RaiKirah
2018-03-27, 01:07 PM
I'm a big fan of [URL="http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18367975&postcount=68"]I've futzed around a little with Spinning Halberd + Haft Strike (from Dragon Compendium), but haven't been able to put it into a proper build yet. Haft Strike requires TWF as a prereq but doesn't actually use the TWF rules or specify that the haft is an offhand attack, so... four arms + two halberds maybe? But then the penalties are -6 primary/-6 offhand/-7 haft, which is not so great.

If you use inappropriately sized halbers (small for a medium character) they'd count as one handed weapons and then with Spinning Halberd and TWF you'd get three attacks at -5. Of course, then you get the -2 for inappropriately sized weapons on top of TWF penalties. Can be offset with Oversize TWF, but would still be -4/-4.

The Viscount
2018-03-27, 04:45 PM
I really like Shards of Granite on Crusaders, since they can already benefit very well from stone power.

Thurbane
2018-03-28, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into those. :smallsmile:

Tryxx
2018-03-29, 08:55 PM
Haven't actually played it, but I love the style and I'd really like to know if a One-Handed Weapon Feint Sneak Attack build could work. Biggest problem is that it would take as much or more feat investment as Two-Weapon Fighting and can't really be brought online until higher levels. I see it being built around Combat Cloak Expert, Einhander, and Surprising Riposte - and that's a six feat investment when sneaky classes tend not to have much in the way of bonus feats!

darkdragoon
2018-03-30, 09:15 AM
High Sword Low Axe eats a ton of resources but it's very nasty when it works.

Tactical:

Awesome Smite is indeed awesome.

Clarion Commander for more AoO ops.

Gloom Razor: mostly Moving Shadows but the other bits can help for a sneaky stabby type.