PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge Cleric, Oghma and Candlekeep

marshmandr
2018-03-27, 05:40 AM
I'm new to playing dnd. For my first ever character I'm choosing a knowledge cleric. I'm really just reading up on stuff to flesh out the character A bit more.

I was reading about Candlekeep library. Why is it that a library dedicated to Oghma is so elitist about sharing knowledge? Shouldn't the library be open to everyone?

My character will be a bit of a rebellious cleric so maybe could have some fun in candlekeep. If I'm a cleric of Oghma I don't think I would agree with Candlekeep's admission criteria. I read that clerics of Oghma can gain free entry?

One last thing. I can't find much on what the daily life of a cleric involves. Are they their own agent? Do they just follow their God's ethics and are not beholden to anybody else?
I take it that the church funds their adventures and equips them?

Regards

Andy

Chugger
2018-03-27, 05:49 AM
You're not like a Medieval monk or priest - under the control of the Catholic Church and told what to do.

You're more a free agent loosely associated w/ the temple/god, in DnD. You're an adventurer, but your trusted to "do good" for the cause as you adventure. Or something like that.

I have no idea where you're getting this library stuff. When I DM my own world I make up my own rules and color. Have never encountered that library in Adventurer's League, either. What books is it in?

Unoriginal
2018-03-27, 06:17 AM
I'm new to playing dnd. For my first ever character I'm choosing a knowledge cleric. I'm really just reading up on stuff to flesh out the character A bit more.

I was reading about Candlekeep library. Why is it that a library dedicated to Oghma is so elitist about sharing knowledge? Shouldn't the library be open to everyone?

My character will be a bit of a rebellious cleric so maybe could have some fun in candlekeep. If I'm a cleric of Oghma I don't think I would agree with Candlekeep's admission criteria. I read that clerics of Oghma can gain free entry?

I don't know much about FR lore, but from what I read the library isn't dedicated to Oghma in particular, it's simply one of the deities some of the local priests and scholars follow.

The reason for the elitism is the same as all elitisms: controlling who has power. It's certainly understandable that the greatest library of the continent, home of many rare or unique texts, wouldn't want any wannabe dark lord or unwise newbie to show up and endanger its collection, or other people by using said collection. Plus it guarantees that it'll always be the greatest library of the continent.

One last thing. I can't find much on what the daily life of a cleric involves. Are they their own agent? Do they just follow their God's ethics and are not beholden to anybody else?

A Cleric is one of the the Chosen Ones of their deities. Literally so. Clerics can be in a formal church, from novices to ordained priests to pontiffs, or they can simply be persons the god granted their power to. Most of a church's priests and the like don't have to be Clerics, and in fact often are not. Of course, given that they have a direct link with the god, it'd be rare for a Cleric's word on what the god says would be ignored by said god's church, though of course it can be questioned (Clerics can be mistaken, too).

Basically, the god grants you power, and as long as you don't act against what the god is about and to further their cause, you keep the power. If you do displease the god too much, you can kiss your powers goodbye.

Other than that, how you're placed in the particular deity's religion is up to you and your DM.

I take it that the church funds their adventures and equips them?

No reason to assume that. Some Clerics' churches will do that, others won't.

Darth Ultron
2018-03-27, 06:30 AM
Candelkeep is more like an elitist vault of knowledge. THEY decide how and when and where to give out knowledge...they do NOT go for the idea that knowledge is FREE. THEY want to control the knowledge and make sure it does not fall into the WRONG HANDS.

Keep in my Candelkeep is a Religious place: and religions don't often go for the idea of ''freedom''. They go for: Our way is the Right Way.

You see this in the real world. The ''government'' and companies DO limit access to things that can be dangerous. It's hard to find real detailed knowledge of dangerous things.

I think clerics can get in for free...

A cleric can always be a free agent. Most free agents are things like teacher's, scholars and sages...though more the ''inndiana Jones'' type then the ''guy that sits at a desk all day''. A lot of adventuring clerics are doing the ''reporter thing'' or the ''going to write a book'' thing: They want to experience something 'for real' and then write about it.

If you work for a temple, then they will tell you what to do. Often lots of mundane tasks, but also still 'adventure missions'.

If you work for a temple and do what they say, you can expect some support.

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-27, 06:35 AM
I am betting that the history of Candlekeep and their policies used to feel a lot more liberal than they are in the current age. When they first got started, someone bringing a book that wasn't already in the library probably wasn't that hard to do. However, now since they have so many, it is much, much harder to get in, harder to maintain, and harder to protect. As such, the policies that used to be there to expand the knowledge of the library are now much more restrictive and limit the ability of information to be shared.

I could certainly see a 'rogue' cleric being cast out because they wanted some of these policies relaxed such that information would be freer.

marshmandr
2018-03-27, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the reply.
@Chugger

Candlekeep from Forgotten Realms. She (the DM) told me to look into that setting to get a gist of the world. I don't know if she is setting the campaign there or not. As I wanted to play a Cleric I was intrigued by this massive library.

Good to know Clerics are loose cannons.

Thanks

marshmandr
2018-03-27, 06:40 AM
@unoriginal

Clerics sound so cool. I'm glad you mentioned anybody could be potentially a Cleric - gives me a lot more freedom.

Unoriginal
2018-03-27, 06:53 AM
@unoriginal

Clerics sound so cool. I'm glad you mentioned anybody could be potentially a Cleric - gives me a lot more freedom.

Well, anybody the deity/pantheon/concept think it's a good investment to empower, in any case. It costs the god power to give Cleric power to mortals, and while some deities have enough worship and other power it's not too much, well none of them like to put their energy in a doomed venture.