PDA

View Full Version : Batman Wizard 5e

krunchyfrogg
2018-03-27, 06:51 AM
Now that our wizards can scribe scrolls in this edition, according to Xanathar’s Guide, is it time to bring back The Batman Wizard Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?104002-3-5e-The-Logic-Ninja-s-Guide-to-Wizards-Being-Batman)?

I just think the idea is really cool and fun, especially since it seamlessly blends with Treantmonk’s vision on The God Wizard (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?450158-Treantmonk-s-Guide-to-Wizards-5e).

Lombra
2018-03-27, 06:57 AM
Scribing spell scrolls was a thing even without XGtE...?

krunchyfrogg
2018-03-27, 11:35 AM
Scribing spell scrolls was a thing even without XGtE...?

Was it? I thought the rules were introduced in this new book.

theCourier
2018-03-27, 12:00 PM
I believe they were expanded upon in Xanathar's, such as the complications table.

krunchyfrogg
2018-03-27, 05:57 PM
I don’t remember ever seeing scribing scrolls addressed for player characters until Xanathars. Weird.

Davrix
2018-03-27, 06:28 PM
I don’t remember ever seeing scribing scrolls addressed for player characters until Xanathars. Weird.

It was under the DMG they listed the scrolls rarity by spell level and you could use the create magic item to generate one or something along those lines if I recall. It wasn't well defend hence the one in XGTE.

Lawful Good
2018-03-27, 09:08 PM
Yeah, the DMG rules were kinda vague and hard to follow, with a lot being dm fiat. Spell scribing is one of my favorite parts of XGtE.

I never played 3.5, but Batman Wizard sounds cool. It someone put up a Batman Wizard guide for 5e I would definitely read it.

spartan_ah
2018-03-28, 03:56 AM
my blade singer was pretty batmanish...

BrainFreeze
2018-03-29, 12:54 PM
Problem with Batman in 5th from what I have seen is that everything useful is concentration.

Greywander
2018-03-31, 08:55 PM
Problem with Batman in 5th from what I have seen is that everything useful is concentration.
But couldn't you give the scroll to an ally? One that doesn't need concentration for something else?

DMG gives conflicting info on casting from a scroll if you it's not on your class's spell list. Page 139 says, "Any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script and attempt to activate it [the scroll]." Page 200 says, "If the spell is on your class's spell list... Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible." My take away from this is that the party member wouldn't know what spell was on the scroll, but would still be able to try to cast it. Which isn't a problem if you tell them what spell is on the scroll.

The Arcana check could be a pain, but if you stick to lower level spells and your party doesn't dump INT, then it should be manageable.

ZorroGames
2018-04-01, 08:33 PM
Thinking of the old school things that went wrong when someone muffed a spell on a scroll... and shuddering.

Seems 5e has mellowed on that too. Not complaining!