PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Telepathy with Mastery of Light and Darkness

Kotenkiri
2018-03-27, 07:40 AM
using the UA Mystic class, one of my PC wonders if he can use his telepathy to command his Shadows (the creature) from his Master of Light and Darkness Discipline. Im not sure about the answer.

ravencroft0
2018-03-27, 07:59 AM
By RAW, no. But it's your table. Another option is give a thematic reason why mystics shouldn't use telepathy. Shadows are undead creatures whose mindsets could break your PCs sanity. If you insist on RAW, have him make a wisdom or intelligence check to not only speak telepathically but maintain control of not only your own mind but also the shadow's.

dejarnjc
2018-03-27, 08:24 AM
If the player is using "Mind Meld" to communicate telepathically then YES they can. A shadow is a creature with an INT above 2.

Technically they can't command them though I guess. I'd allow it as a DM of course.

Daithi
2018-03-27, 05:19 PM
Edit: I actually changed my mind.

I would say No he can't with just the use of Telepathy (although, dejarnjc is right about "Mind Meld".). The rules for Mystic telepathy says you don't need to share a language with the creature but the creature needs to understand a language. The description for the Shadow does not list any languages. Shadows are created when slain by a Shadow, and the slain creature knew a language, but when it becomes a Shadow does it still know a language? Keep in mind that it is the shadow, and not the person. Your shadow doesn't actually know a language. I'd say that once someone becomes a shadow they lose the ability to both speak and understand language, otherwise the MM would say they can understand but not speak a language. However, other DMs may differ.

sightlessrealit
2018-03-27, 05:31 PM
I would say yes. You summoned them and you can speak commands to them. I see no reason why using Telepathy wouldn't count against this.

Daithi
2018-03-27, 06:29 PM
I would say yes. You summoned them and you can speak commands to them. I see no reason why using Telepathy wouldn't count against this.

That's a good point. If you can speak commands to them then they must understand a language.