PDA

View Full Version : Is this Possible?

the_brazenburn
2018-03-27, 07:47 AM
I came up with an interesting way to use Mirror Image as an offensive spell. Would this technique work RAW?

1. Cast Mirror Image on yourself.
2. Use Mask of Many Faces invocation to disguise yourself as an enemy.
3. Move adjacent to the enemy who's appearance you've taken.

Now there are five identical people all standing next to each other. One of them is the true person, one is an enemy, and the other three are illusions. The allies of the person who's form you've stolen now have only a 20% chance of hitting you with an attack, equal to their chances of hitting their friend.

Would this work according to the rules, and would it be an effective tactic?

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-27, 07:52 AM
I came up with an interesting way to use Mirror Image as an offensive spell. Would this technique work RAW?

1. Cast Mirror Image on yourself.
2. Use Mask of Many Faces invocation to disguise yourself as an enemy.
3. Move adjacent to the enemy who's appearance you've taken.

Now there are five identical people all standing next to each other. One of them is the true person, one is an enemy, and the other three are illusions. The allies of the person who's form you've stolen now have only a 20% chance of hitting you with an attack, equal to their chances of hitting their friend.

The true enemy is still in a different space, so there's really no chance that the true enemy will get hit by RAW. Rule of Cool, maybe this could be allowed, but even then it would likely be easy enough to circumvent for the enemies: he just moves away before the other members of his group attack.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-27, 07:55 AM
The true enemy is still in a different space, so there's really no chance that the true enemy will get hit by RAW. Rule of Cool, maybe this could be allowed, but even then it would likely be easy enough to circumvent for the enemies: he just moves away before the other members of his group attack.

With this being said, it work better if people were blind right before.

So make sure to cast darkness.

In any case I’d let this work.

Unoriginal
2018-03-27, 08:07 AM

Unless you're fighting enemies who are too dumb to live or who don't mind hitting allies anyway (like some demons), the enemies aren't going to be much affected by this.

Firs, the enemy you're mimicking can easily differentiate themself from you and the illusions in most circumstances, not to mention get away from you or attack one of the double.

Second, the other enemies can see who is attacking them, and who isn't.

Third, at worse the enemies might decide to hit non-lethally, just to be safe.

It might cause confusion, sure, but I don't think it's worth the cost in ressources or the two turns you spend on setting it up. It's not that more confusing than just using Mirror Image.

If the Mirror Image changes to correspond to your new appearance is a DM-dependent ruling, too. I would probably go for it, but others might think differently.