PDA

View Full Version : Tool Proficiency: Gaming Set?

Nifft
2018-03-27, 12:41 PM
Tell me stories about when a gaming set tool proficiency was relevant to your game.

Thanks, -N

Naanomi
2018-03-27, 05:14 PM
Eh, as relevant as any tool (mostly to fill in background); but I ran a Hobgoblin Necromancer who played chess as a way to practice tactical skills and help (along with other things) justify complex skeleton minion maneuvers

Kane0
2018-03-27, 05:22 PM
One time as a warlock my goal was to become the city's new crime lord, so gaming and gambling proficiency came in handy when seizing control of the various dens scattered around town.

JackPhoenix
2018-03-27, 05:26 PM
Does betting the party rogue against an airship in a card game counts?

Unoriginal
2018-03-27, 05:33 PM
Might become relevant when one of the party's guide will try to make them bet the money they got from their quest, once it's finished.

The only one who has proficiency in gaming set is incredibly dumb and naive.

Avonar
2018-03-27, 07:44 PM
Games are a good way of getting on NPCs good side. Chess for the more nobler of them, dice or cards for others.

Kane0
2018-03-27, 07:48 PM
Games are a good way of getting on NPCs good side. Chess for the more nobler of them, dice or cards for others.

The gentleman's method of resolving disputes, without resorting to unsightly bloodshed.

redwizard007
2018-03-27, 08:41 PM
The gentleman's method of resolving disputes, without resorting to unsightly bloodshed.

Doc Holiday would beg to differ.

Kane0
2018-03-27, 08:44 PM
Perhaps my text should have been blue (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SmartPeoplePlayChess) :smallbiggrin:

ImproperJustice
2018-03-27, 10:49 PM
Different system, but in a Stars Without Number game, there was a retired space marine who made it a habit to set up a chess game at the local eatery at each new Starport.

Seemed to always lead to some interesting npc interactions and occasionally job leads.

I could see something similar working in d&d taverns.

In one of out games, we were going through the personal belongings of a major enemy PC, and based on the condition of his playing cards, a PC in our group made some assumptions about his play style and therefore his personality, and it gave us a heads up on his next destination.

Daithi
2018-03-28, 12:05 AM
One of my characters started out as a Skip Tracer that worked at a gambling house dealing cards. He listened to the players banter while gambling, so he knew who their girlfriends, family, and friends were. When they ran up gambling debts they couldn't pay, he used this info to track them down. But... it all started with the gaming set.

The gambling house was a base of operations for our party. One of the other players was also a barbarian who worked as a bouncer/enforcer. Another was a bard that worked as a singer.

sir_argo
2018-03-28, 12:23 AM
My gnome took Gaming Set (cards) and the background feature: By Popular Demand. Every tavern he goes into, he plays poker all night with the locals and it covers his meals and lodging.

pagnabros
2018-03-28, 12:00 PM
A friend of mine play a Changeling alcholic rogue who every night tries to smash everyone in taverns. You can guess how he uses her brewer's tool proficiency :tongue: