PDA

View Full Version : Making a lv 10 Drunken master monk, thinking of dipping into rogue or revised ranger.

Davrix
2018-03-27, 02:52 PM
Kind of wondering which is better. I was thinking 2 levels so it would be a lv 8 DM monk and lv 2 of either ranger of rouge.

Having a fighting style and favored enemy would be good and Zephyr strike works really well for the mobile monk I have in mind with the Tabaxi racial feature.

Rogue however lets me save my ki points for flurry with cunning action being free, expertise is always nice with the ability to pick a rogue archetype in another level or two if I feel like it.

sophontteks
2018-03-27, 03:31 PM
Cunning action is not free. Its a bonus action, which means you have to sacrifice your bonus attack to do it. Same for Zyphyr strike. You cast it as a bonus action, which means you can't flurry of blows, nor can you use your single bonus unarmed attack on the turn you cast it.

The drunken Monk's main draw is that he can disengage and get +10 movement for free when he uses flurry of blows. Since you are losing ki points to get this multiclass, you aren't really saving ki here. In the two cases you provided it'd just be better to have more ki and use that ki to attack three times without provoking any attacks of opportunity.

That said, the UA ranger is very frontloaded. Its not really designed well for multiclassing right now IMO, but if you do multiclass into it, you do gain some pretty ridiculous stuff as a result.

Davrix
2018-03-27, 03:40 PM
Cunning action is not free. Its a bonus action, which means you have to sacrifice your bonus attack to do it. Same for Zyphyr strike. You cast it as a bonus action, which means you can't flurry of blows, nor can you use your single bonus unarmed attack on the turn you cast it.

The drunken Monk's main draw is that he can disengage and get +10 movement for free when he uses flurry of blows. Since you are losing ki points to get this multiclass, you aren't really saving ki here. In the two cases you provided it'd just be better to have more ki and use that ki to attack three times without provoking any attacks of opportunity.

That said, the UA ranger is very frontloaded. Its not really designed well for multiclassing right now IMO, but if you do multiclass into it, you do gain some pretty ridiculous stuff as a result.

Ah your right, was forgetting that part. Was trying to save ki for the disengage and doge action but i would already be using that on the flurry and it offers the same bonuses. The real draw of Zepher for me was the extra 30 ft of movement with the Tabxi's racial.

Lombra
2018-03-27, 05:33 PM
Poison immunity and wall-running are pretty cool... why not straight monk?

Davrix
2018-03-27, 06:01 PM
Poison immunity and wall-running are pretty cool... why not straight monk?

I think im going with lv 9 in monk and 1 in the revised ranger. Its really more for the Rp reason that he has the wander lust thing going for him. Travels around a lot. The fighting style isn't really needed and while Zephyr strike is nice the wall running is just to good to pass up to have from the start. So I'll just wait a little on picking up the other aspects.