PDA

View Full Version : Help with UA Mystic rules interpretation

Daithi
2018-03-27, 05:43 PM
The first one I'm a little confused on--

"Chameleon (2 psi)
As an action, you can attempt to hide even if you fail to meet the requirements needed to do so. At the end of the current turn, you remain hidden only if you then meet the normal requirements for hiding."

How do you interpret this? And can you give an example of how you would use this?

The second one I'm a little confused on--

"Psionic Mastery
Beginning at 11th level, your mastery of psionic energy allows you to push your mind beyond its normal limits. As an action, you gain 9 special psi points that you can spend only on disciplines that require an action or a bonus action to use. You can use all 9 points on one discipline, or you can spread them across multiple disciplines. You can’t also spend your normal psi points on these disciplines; you can spend only the special points gained from this feature. When you finish a long rest, you lose any of these special points that you haven’t spent.

If more than one of the disciplines you activate with these points require concentration, you can concentrate on all of them. Activating one of them ends any effect you were already concentrating on, and if you begin concentrating on an effect that doesn’t use these special points, the disciplines end that you’re concentrating on.

At 15th level, the pool of psi points you gain from this feature increases to 11. You have one use of this feature, and you regain any expended use of it with a long rest. You gain one additional use of this feature at 13th, 15th, and 17th level."

How do you interpret this? And can you give an examples of how it is used?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-03-27, 05:59 PM
The first one I read as: you can attempt to hide even while being directly observed or make noise while doing so. At the end of the turn, you must be in conditions that would allow you to hide to remain hidden, and you cannot be being observed by the thing you are attempting to hide from. What those conditions are is up to your DM. Basically, you push the Stealth check to hide to the end of your action but get the benefits up front.

DivisibleByZero
2018-03-27, 06:02 PM

"Chameleon (2 psi)
As an action, you can attempt to hide even if you fail to meet the requirements needed to do so. At the end of the current turn, you remain hidden only if you then meet the normal requirements for hiding."

How do you interpret this? And can you give an example of how you would use this?
It allows you to attempt to hide even if you don't have cover or obscurement. It's basically Hide in Plain Sight, but at the end of the turn you're no longer hidden unless you would be normally.
You're changing your colors to camouflage yourself for a moment and try to hide.

"Psionic Mastery
Beginning at 11th level, your mastery of psionic energy allows you to push your mind beyond its normal limits. As an action, you gain 9 special psi points that you can spend only on disciplines that require an action or a bonus action to use. You can use all 9 points on one discipline, or you can spread them across multiple disciplines. You can’t also spend your normal psi points on these disciplines; you can spend only the special points gained from this feature. When you finish a long rest, you lose any of these special points that you haven’t spent.

If more than one of the disciplines you activate with these points require concentration, you can concentrate on all of them. Activating one of them ends any effect you were already concentrating on, and if you begin concentrating on an effect that doesn’t use these special points, the disciplines end that you’re concentrating on.

At 15th level, the pool of psi points you gain from this feature increases to 11. You have one use of this feature, and you regain any expended use of it with a long rest. You gain one additional use of this feature at 13th, 15th, and 17th level."

Instead of getting higher level "spells" they get this.
You spend an action to activate it, and it gives you a secondary pool of Psi Points. The Disciplines used with these Psi Points can be used concurrently with other Disciplines also used with these points, but you cannot use points from both this secondary pool and your normal one on the same Disciplines.

Activate this ability.
Activate Discipline A with these points.
Activate Discipline B with these points.
Activate Discipline C with these points.
Concentrate on all of the concurrently if needed.
If you activate a Discipline, and you do not use these points (because you don't have enough left, or whatever) all three of the former end if the newly activated Discipline coming from your primary pool of points requires concentration.

Basically, you get a second set of Psi to use, and you can do special things with these points, but you can only use those points to do it.
Does that explain it better for you?

druid91
2018-03-27, 06:04 PM
The second one, you gain nine free psi points above and beyond what you normally get, and can use them on your disciplines, ignoring the rule that only allows you to concentrate on one.

So for example, a Wu Jen could conjure Shadows using Mastery of Light and Darkness, and then also maintain concentration on the Mastery of Air power that allows flight. They cannot however, mix in 'normal' psi points while doing this, so suppose you use these special psi points to activate Radiant Beam. You could only dump up to nine in there, despite having plenty more normal psi points.

It's primary use is in activating various 'aura' abilities to let you evade Concentration.

Sinon
2018-03-27, 06:16 PM

"Chameleon (2 psi)

You can move at half speed and stay hidden with a Stealth check.
I assume that you'd use this to hide, then surreptitiously move to a place that granted concealment.

"Psionic Mastery

I think of this as analogous to the Warlock’s Mystic Arcanum.

If a 7-pt. power is analogous to fifth-level spell, these are your sixth, seventh, eighth, and ninth.

OK, so, I’m level 11. I have 64 power points.

But, I have a second pool of 9. Using these, I could use Animate Air (7pts.) to summon an air elemental, which requires my concentration. I could also create a Wall of Clouds (2 pts.) and concentrate on that as well.
(7 pts + 2 pts = 9)

I could not create and concentrate on a Wall of Wood, (3 pts.) even though I have plenty of points in that pool of 64.

That 64 is a separate pool, and I cannot draw from it and get the benefit of "double concentration."

DivisibleByZero
2018-03-27, 06:40 PM
You can move at half speed and stay hidden with a Stealth check.
I assume that you'd use this to hide, then surreptitiously move to a place that granted concealment.

You move at full speed. You just need to not break cover/concealment and place yourself in the open at any point, or you would immediately no longer be hidden (the power in question changes this, obviously, but those are the normal rules). The rules for moving half speed are for traveling, not for normal use (combat). There are no movement restrictions for normal use.
Stealth cuts your travel pace in half, not your movement speed. Two different things.

An individual DM might rule that your speed is reduced while stealthed, and there is an argument to be had there, but the rules have no such restriction.

edit:
Just look at Supreme Sneak, the 9th level Thief Rogue ability. He gains Advantage on his Stealth roll if he moves no more than half his speed. If he were already being forced to move half his speed, that ability would be useless.

Daithi
2018-03-27, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the answers!

I didn't want to put my interpretation in the question out of fear I'd sway answers (or provoke a fight), but my understanding is basically the same as your responses. I also think DivisibleByZero's explanation was really good --- certainly better than I would have worded it (not to slight anyone else's answers).

In regards to Chameleon, it takes an action, so I'd envision this as you kind of turning chameleon-like where you blend in with the background, and you aren't seen as you hopefully find somewhere to hide. It would also be stupid to use this if there wasn't somewhere you could hide. Any attacks this turn would have to be made with a bonus attack.