PDA

View Full Version : Remembering the Three Archfiends

heavyfuel
2018-03-27, 07:08 PM
While they haven't appeared in many strips so far, I never now who is who.

Director Lee is the only I remember because he's Yellow (EL = Evil and Lawful)

Any tips on how to rember who is Nero and who is Cedrik?

Heksefatter
2018-03-27, 07:19 PM
According to Tv Tropes, Cedrik is the brown/orange one and Nero is the purple one.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/TheOrderOfTheStickDivineBeings

The best tip I can offer is that purple is sometimes considered the evil'est colour and Neutral Evil is sometimes considered the most pure evil alignment.

Fyraltari
2018-03-27, 07:30 PM
Speaking of which, if Lee is the Lawful one, how come he is the boss of Sabine and the one who provides Jephton's soul when both of them are chaotic?

Sienar
2018-03-27, 07:57 PM
While they haven't appeared in many strips so far, I never now who is who.

Director Lee is the only I remember because he's Yellow (EL = Evil and Lawful)

Any tips on how to rember who is Nero and who is Cedrik?

A mnemonic device i use to remember Nero is purple is by relating Emperor Nero with the association the color has with royalty. I realize Emperor Nero himself may not have worn purple but the connection to royalty in general helps me remember.

I used the same association for Lee that you note.

Cedrik is orange by process of elimination.

zimmerwald1915
2018-03-27, 07:57 PM
Speaking of which, if Lee is the Lawful one, how come he is the boss of Sabine and the one who provides Jephton's soul when both of them are chaotic?
Y'mean, besides the whole point of his organization, which is to break down alignment barriers between fiends? It's not much good if the mixing only happens at the top.

Fyraltari
2018-03-27, 08:03 PM
Y'mean, besides the whole point of his organization, which is to break down alignment barriers between fiends? It's not much good if the mixing only happens at the top.

The point is to ally them to fight a common goal (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EnemyMine), not merge them. They are still emodiment of their respective alignments. Yes they pool their resources together but I still find it odd that Sabine would work specifically for Lee or that he'd have custody of Jephton instead of Cedrik.

Sienar
2018-03-27, 08:05 PM

I always imagined that the IFCC as a cross-alignment organization could use any resources from the Lower Planes. And maybe Director Lee used Sabine to entice the CE Jephton with promises of satisfying his self-indulgent nature. Yes, I’m making a leap from the selfish nature of Chaotics in D&D to self-indulgent but it’s not a far leap.

ti'esar
2018-03-27, 08:15 PM
I use the punchline to this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0640.html) to remember that Cedric is the orange one - Rich commented that part of the joke was that a demon went to college with a couple of devils.

heavyfuel
2018-03-27, 08:23 PM
A mnemonic device i use to remember Nero is purple is by relating Emperor Nero with the association the color has with royalty. I realize Emperor Nero himself may not have worn purple but the connection to royalty in general helps me remember.

I used the same association for Lee that you note.

Cedrik is orange by process of elimination.

That was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-03-27, 09:02 PM
I realize Emperor Nero himself may not have worn purple

Why do you say that? The purple toga was pretty much the equivalent of the crown of the Emperor of Rome. I cannot imagine that Nero would have managed to avoid wearing the purple toga. Heck, he passed a law punishing with the death penalty anyone other than him wearing purple (don't ask what Caligula did to a king that dared wear a better purple tunic than his).

GW

Peelee
2018-03-27, 09:06 PM
Why do you say that? The purple toga was pretty much the equivalent of the crown of the Emperor of Rome. I cannot imagine that Nero would have managed to avoid wearing the purple toga. Heck, he passed a law punishing with the death penalty anyone other than him wearing purple (don't ask what Caligula did to a king that dared wear a better purple tunic than his).

GW

What did Caligula do to a king that dared wear a better purple tunic than his?

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-03-27, 09:26 PM
What did Caligula do to a king that dared wear a better purple tunic than his?

According to Suetonius, Ptolemy of Mauretania (probably the richest of the vassal kingdoms of Rome at the time) visited Rome to swear fealty to Caligula, and while on a diplomatic tour, they went to the theater, were the public were more impressed with his purple tunic than Caligula's. So of course the little psycho had him murdered.

(Other less fun historians disagree on the reasons - but everyone pretty much agrees that Little Booties had him murdered)

GW

KarlMarx
2018-04-24, 09:26 AM
According to Suetonius, Ptolemy of Mauretania (probably the richest of the vassal kingdoms of Rome at the time) visited Rome to swear fealty to Caligula, and while on a diplomatic tour, they went to the theater, were the public were more impressed with his purple tunic than Caligula's. So of course the little psycho had him murdered.

(Other less fun historians disagree on the reasons - but everyone pretty much agrees that Little Booties had him murdered)

GW

Suetonius was a bit of a gossip. And plenty of the senators wanted to demonize Gaius as much as possible.

But the general principle that Nero can be remembered by the Purple is probably the easiest way to go about it.

I can't really come up with any association between "Cedric" and "Orange", so unless someone's read Ivanhoe and knows something I don't, process of elimination is the best way to go about it.

Fyraltari
2018-04-24, 10:49 AM
I can't really come up with any association between "Cedric" and "Orange", so unless someone's read Ivanhoe and knows something I don't, process of elimination is the best way to go about it.

Why Ivanhoe?

zimmerwald1915
2018-04-24, 11:13 AM
Why Ivanhoe?
Cedric is the name of Ivanhoe's dad.

Fyraltari
2018-04-24, 11:22 AM

Thank you.

KarlMarx
2018-04-24, 05:05 PM

It's also the first known use of Cedric as a name in the English language, previously it had been almost exclusively Welsh, and spelled/pronounced differently.

zimmerwald1915
2018-04-24, 05:44 PM
It's also the first known use of Cedric as a name in the English language, previously it had been almost exclusively Welsh
I'm sure the writer was laughing into his sleeve giving such a Saxon chauvinist a non-Saxon name.

TRH
2018-04-24, 05:49 PM
I'm sure the writer was laughing into his sleeve giving such a Saxon chauvinist a non-Saxon name.

One must exact petty vengeance where one can.

D.One
2018-04-26, 07:17 AM
Are you thus saying that the three archfiends are from our earth and that, back when they were alive, Cedric was welsh, Nero was roman and Lee was chinese?:smallyuk::smallbiggrin:

Fyraltari
2018-04-26, 07:39 AM
Are you thus saying that the three archfiends are from our earth and that, back when they were alive, Cedric was welsh, Nero was roman and Lee was chinese?:smallyuk::smallbiggrin:
Too bad his name is Cedrik.

martianmister
2018-04-28, 10:15 PM
Lee = LE = Stereotypically least evil = Brightest colour = Yellow
Nero = NE = Sterotypically most evil = Darkest colour = Purple
Cedrik = CE = Sterotypically angriest one = Reddish colour = Orange