PDA

View Full Version : giant potions

Samayu
2018-03-27, 08:03 PM
So this healing potion we just got is like a gallon or something. It takes a minute to quaff, and it heals a ton of damage. Can we portion it out for normal sized potions, and divide the healing dice proportionally? Is there precedent for this in the rules, besides the house rule rule?

Davrix
2018-03-27, 08:09 PM
So this healing potion we just got is like a gallon or something. It takes a minute to quaff, and it heals a ton of damage. Can we portion it out for normal sized potions, and divide the healing dice proportionally? Is there precedent for this in the rules, besides the house rule rule?

This sounds hilarious to give to a party.

No, nothing in the rules for this.

Honestly with how potions are magical and such I wouldn't allow it to be divided up. Part of the magic is drinking the whole bottle otherwise pixies could divide up a normal potion the same way.

Kane0
2018-03-27, 08:11 PM
That would definitely be 'Ask your DM' territory.

Personally I would allow you to split it at a net loss of healing efficiency because you're messing with the dosage. Say the gallon heals 15d6, you could split it down to ten standard potions of healing (2d4+2) or something.

nickl_2000
2018-03-28, 07:04 AM
I'm not sure how you wouldn't proportion it out. Sure it fantasy and all, but have you ever tried to drink a gallon of any liquid? You would need to make a constitution check just to keep it down.

Ellisthion
2018-03-28, 12:42 PM
You heal all your hitpoints, then die of water intoxication?

Corpsecandle717
2018-03-28, 05:28 PM
I'm sure you could make an argument to spilt it into x number of smaller potions based on value or dice it heals as others have mentioned.

Hopefully someone in your group is proficient in the herbalism kit. DMs like it when your characters are willing to work for stuff.

Davrix
2018-03-28, 07:49 PM
Nah lets use it like a Bacta Tank from star wars. just toss a party member in with an air hose and let them stew for an hour. Comes out fully healed lol. Can be done say 5 times before the magic wears off.

Kane0
2018-03-28, 08:50 PM
I think you mean Kolto tank :P

Honest Tiefling
2018-03-28, 08:56 PM
I think you mean Kolto tank :P

Wookiepedia seems to think both are valid, with bacta being a more modern version of the primitive kolto, you dirty hipster.

Unfortunately, I think this pretty much 'ask your DM' territory. However, the advice to try to use skills and other resources to convince the DM is always good. Or you could try to take it to an NPC in exchange for some of the stuff.

Kane0
2018-03-28, 09:33 PM
Kolto is the old school natural substance (first introduced in KotOR?), Bacta is the synthesised stuff that came later.
Sort of like Willow bark vs Aspirin I guess? Or maybe a better comparison would be raw Aloevera sap vs the gel.

Anyways, I digress.