PDA

View Full Version : Crafter skills for crafter thrills

PapaMojo
2018-03-27, 09:29 PM
I'm gonna roll a wizard for my next character and I'm gonna take a couple crafting feats (wondrous item, rods, staves, and golem [the discovery]). I know I gotta invest in spellcraft, but I also need to invest in some Craft skills, as some items have the prerequisite for you to ave a certain amount of ranks in ccertain skills. So, which ones? And how much? I mean, craft (blacksmithing) or whatever for crafting magic arms and armaour is obvious, but there are so many craft skills and so many magic items to look for. Are there any common skills that keep cropping up?

Blu
2018-03-28, 06:51 AM
You don't actually need crafter skills for creating general magic items, only if you are creating from 0, like creating an armor and then enchanting it.
Just buy the items you want to enchant from your local blacksmith/artisan and call it a day. Comparing the prices of magical items VS the price of crafting mundane equipment you not gaining much in return of those skill points.

radthemad4
2018-03-28, 07:01 AM
Don't put any ranks into crafting if you can avoid it. You're a wizard so you'll have a decent Int and most Craft DCs are on the low side. Get the Magecraft spell (Eberron Campaign Setting, p. 113) for an easy +5 and masterwork tools for a +2. Get all your party members to throw aid anothers at you. Also, you should take 10.

Telonius
2018-03-28, 01:23 PM
With such a focus on crafting, have you considered playing an Artificer? They do play somewhat differently than Wizards, and the prep work is can be a little daunting; but if Eberron is available it's something to consider. Wizards don't have all that many feats to play around with (Wizard Bonus feats usually go unused, since most Wizards PrC out as soon as they can).

PapaMojo
2018-03-28, 03:17 PM
Some clarification is probably needed.
I'm playing Pathfinder, sorry I forgot to put that in, and my DM won't let me use third party material or material from the previous version of DnD, otherwise, I'd totally play an artificer and get that spell.
Certain items say that a prerequisite to making them requires you to have certain ranks in some craft skills, but if that's just for making the mundane item then I'd definitely skip those skills. But do they, or do you really need the skill ranks to enchant it at all?

Starkeeper
2018-03-28, 04:14 PM
Can you give some examples for the magic items you mention?

Either way, you can ignore the requirement by simply adding +5 to the Spellcraft DC so there really is little need to spread out your skill points.

Jack_Simth
2018-03-28, 06:13 PM
I'm gonna roll a wizard for my next character and I'm gonna take a couple crafting feats (wondrous item, rods, staves, and golem [the discovery]). I know I gotta invest in spellcraft, but I also need to invest in some Craft skills, as some items have the prerequisite for you to ave a certain amount of ranks in ccertain skills. So, which ones? And how much? I mean, craft (blacksmithing) or whatever for crafting magic arms and armaour is obvious, but there are so many craft skills and so many magic items to look for. Are there any common skills that keep cropping up?
No need for the Craft skills. Just cast Crafter's Fortune (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/crafter-s-fortune/), maybe get a Ring of Craft Magic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-craft-magic/), take ten, and have a good Int. As a Wizard, this should be pretty easy for the majority of golems. While an Adamantine Golem is DC 35 and a Quintessence Golem is DC 40, most of them are DC 20 or less, with only a handful that go as high as 26. At, say, 10th level? You probably have a base 18 Int, +2 Racial, +2 level up, and +4 (or better) Enhancement to Int from a headband. Spending a 5th level spell on the Ring of Craft Magic, casting Crafter's Fortune on yourself, and taking 10: you're getting a 28 already. Fabricate up your golem's body for 95+% of them.

If you do need the extra boost (you usually won't)? Don't actually take the skills. Make a Scarlet and Blue Ioun Stone (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/Magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones/scarlet-and-blue-sphere-ioun-stone) with the skill you need, and wear it for a day (the enhancement bonus won't stack with your headband, but the ranks do because they're not the same ones). The skill in the stone isn't on the requirements list for the stone itself, so you're good there.

Feantar
2018-03-28, 06:37 PM
Visualisation of the Mind is also a useful, if expensive (Blood money is your solution there) to actually get ranks in a skill temporarily.

PapaMojo
2018-03-29, 10:07 PM
No need for the Craft skills. Just cast Crafter's Fortune (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/crafter-s-fortune/), maybe get a Ring of Craft Magic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-craft-magic/), take ten, and have a good Int. As a Wizard, this should be pretty easy for the majority of golems. While an Adamantine Golem is DC 35 and a Quintessence Golem is DC 40, most of them are DC 20 or less, with only a handful that go as high as 26. At, say, 10th level? You probably have a base 18 Int, +2 Racial, +2 level up, and +4 (or better) Enhancement to Int from a headband. Spending a 5th level spell on the Ring of Craft Magic, casting Crafter's Fortune on yourself, and taking 10: you're getting a 28 already. Fabricate up your golem's body for 95+% of them.

If you do need the extra boost (you usually won't)? Don't actually take the skills. Make a Scarlet and Blue Ioun Stone (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/Magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones/scarlet-and-blue-sphere-ioun-stone) with the skill you need, and wear it for a day (the enhancement bonus won't stack with your headband, but the ranks do because they're not the same ones). The skill in the stone isn't on the requirements list for the stone itself, so you're good there.

Yeah your right, I'm gonna either do that or the other thigns people have mentioned like addidng +5 to the spellcraft DC.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-03-29, 11:52 PM
Can you give some examples for the magic items you mention?

Either way, you can ignore the requirement by simply adding +5 to the Spellcraft DC so there really is little need to spread out your skill points.

Skill boosters universally require a number of ranks in the skill equal to the bonus the finished item grants. That's probably it.