PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo dolls

heavyfuel
2018-03-27, 11:03 PM
While a classical kind of magic/supernatural power, Voodoo dolls seem terribly non-existent in 3.5.

With 3.x's multitude of books, over 1000 classes, and 3000+ spells, I'd imagine they would've taken some time to create something with such a fluff, and yet a Google search revealed nothing.

Any idea why might this staple of witchcraft have been left out?

Thurbane
2018-03-27, 11:15 PM
There was definitely a 1E or 2E spell that dealt with this (pushing nails into it to cause damage), but I'm not aware of it being updated to 3E.

With the amount of splat book bloat that PF has, it wouldn't surprise me if there's something there...

I was right:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/c-d/doll-anatomy/

Falontani
2018-03-28, 01:13 AM
In one of Warcraft's d20 books Magic and Mayhem they have a Witch Doctor class that is fairly balanced that have voodoo dolls. May be a jumping off point for a dm

Malroth
2018-03-28, 04:59 AM
Pathfinder, Gravewalker witch gets one instead of a familiar

The Viscount
2018-03-28, 06:17 PM
While a classical kind of magic/supernatural power, Voodoo dolls seem terribly non-existent in 3.5.

With 3.x's multitude of books, over 1000 classes, and 3000+ spells, I'd imagine they would've taken some time to create something with such a fluff, and yet a Google search revealed nothing.

Any idea why might this staple of witchcraft have been left out?

It might be that they wanted to shy away from something that might be linked to real world voodoo due to D&D's history as a target of satanic panic.

That being said, there are spells such as Bedevil that use something from the target as a material component. This is perhaps best demonstrated in nightmare, which has save modifiers based on how well you know the target and whether you have anything of theirs.

Thurbane
2018-03-28, 07:57 PM
It might be that they wanted to shy away from something that might be linked to real world voodoo due to D&D's history as a target of satanic panic.

Which is kind of crazy when you take a look at the vestiges section of ToM, many of which are drawn from the Ars Goetia.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-03-28, 08:04 PM
I'd swear I remember something somewhere... it was obscure, like an issue of dragon or a little-mentioned setting supplement...

I don't know.

Thurbane
2018-03-28, 08:29 PM
Project Image and Halaster's Image Swap both use a small doll replica of the caster as a material component, but not really what the OP is looking for.

Uncle Pine
2018-03-29, 01:38 AM
I'm pretty sure a lot of spells makes as much sense as voodoo-themed as they do normally. Love's Pain comes to mind as a glaring example.