PDA

View Full Version : META: Lament of a Rules Lawyer

DRD1812
2018-03-28, 02:48 PM
I've got the full write-up over here (http://www.handbookofheroes.com/archives/comic/tomes-of-the-ancients), but I just wanted to pause for a moment to salute all you brave souls searching for rules help on these boards.

There’s no other hobby that tries so desperately to simulate a living world, gives you hundreds of pages explaining exactly how that world works, and then says, “Just do what the GM says. Don’t worry about it. We’re all here to have fun.” That's what happens every time we go seeking for answers: Can my horse attack if I charge with a lance? When do I apply damage from armor spikes? Can they tell I’m using magic if it’s a silent spell? The fictional lives of my favorite characters may depend on these answers, and it’s vital that I get them right!

We desperately wish for some figure in authority to say, “This is how it works. This is the one true ruling.” But in the end, The Golden Rule and Rule Zero are the only authority we’ve really got.

So good luck and god speed to all you questing rules lawyers. I am one of you, and I hope we all find the answers that will improve our games.

RoboEmperor
2018-03-28, 02:55 PM
Can they tell I’m using magic if it’s a silent spell?.

Yes.

Somatic movements give you away.
Spell Effects give you away.

Silent Still Invisible spell however will do the job. Still provokes attack of opportunities though.

edit:Conceal Spellcasting is a sleight of hand skill trick that lets you cast spells without anyone knowing and if you're successful doesn't provoke attacks of opportunities.

Uncle Pine
2018-03-28, 04:07 PM
I've got the full write-up over here (http://www.handbookofheroes.com/archives/comic/tomes-of-the-ancients), but I just wanted to pause for a moment to salute all you brave souls searching for rules help on these boards.

There’s no other hobby that tries so desperately to simulate a living world, gives you hundreds of pages explaining exactly how that world works, and then says, “Just do what the GM says. Don’t worry about it. We’re all here to have fun.” That's what happens every time we go seeking for answers: Can my horse attack if I charge with a lance? When do I apply damage from armor spikes? Can they tell I’m using magic if it’s a silent spell? The fictional lives of my favorite characters may depend on these answers, and it’s vital that I get them right!

We desperately wish for some figure in authority to say, “This is how it works. This is the one true ruling.” But in the end, The Golden Rule and Rule Zero are the only authority we’ve really got.

So good luck and god speed to all you questing rules lawyers. I am one of you, and I hope we all find the answers that will improve our games.

And that's why the best rules lawyers are DMs: because when the arbiter can actually tell if you can charge through that terrain, what can be done with entangle and what happens if you're grappled point you out to exact formula to calculate what numbers should appear in your sheet under "to-hit" and "damage" for all your 3 different attack routines without blinking, then you'll be able to enthrall anyone who can enjoy a good, heartily shared story regardless of whether he or she hass been playing for years or is entirely new to the hobby and most definitely doesn't want to be forced to learn the content of three book over the course of the next four hours nor be saddled with "Bob the generic 2nd-level Fighter" as his very first character. :smallsmile:

Crake
2018-03-28, 04:21 PM
And that's why the best rules lawyers are DMs: because when the arbiter can actually tell if you can charge through that terrain, what can be done with entangle and what happens if you're grappled point you out to exact formula to calculate what numbers should appear in your sheet under "to-hit" and "damage" for all your 3 different attack routines without blinking, then you'll be able to enthrall anyone who can enjoy a good, heartily shared story regardless of whether he or she hass been playing for years or is entirely new to the hobby and most definitely doesn't want to be forced to learn the content of three book over the course of the next four hours nor be saddled with "Bob the generic 2nd-level Fighter" as his very first character. :smallsmile:

Quote for truth