PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Potential Idea for new Spheres of Might sphere?

SangoProduction
2018-03-28, 05:36 PM
I had an idea for a sphere. So, I felt like sharing it, instead of doing something productive with my time...or...more likely...playing League. Feel free to leave your thoughts and feedback.

Skepticism
If this was the mythical fireball, don't you think it would have exploded by now?

When you gain the Skepticism sphere, you gain a disbelief bonus equal to your HD (max bonus of 5 + 5 per additional talent spent in this sphere). This bonus applies to saves against Mind-Affecting Effects and Illusions, or to checks made to defeat an illusion (such as Perception vs the Invisibility Illusion sphere effect). If a Skepticism talent calls for spell points, you may expend your martial focus instead.

Sundering Disbelief
When directly affected by a spell or sphere effect that is affected by Spell Resistance (so, Fireball, but not a monster summoned by Summon Monster), then you may make an attack of opportunity against the spell itself. In doing so, you gain an effective Spell Resistance of 12 + your disbelief bonus.

------------------------------------- [Talents] -------------------------------------

Expanded Disbelief
You may use Sundering Disbelief on supernatural abilities which directly affect you (such as the Blue Dragon's Storm Breath or Electricity Aura, but not Desert Thirst, unless used to dry out your potions). The exact applicable abilities are up to DM discretion.

Not Afraid
You gain your disbelief bonus to Will saves vs against fear effects, Fortitude saves against death effects and negative levels, as well as all saves against any ability used by an incorporeal undead.

Seminar
By spending 10 minutes with your target allies, explaining your disbelief, you can convince them, if temporarily, that you may be on to something. You may target a number of allies up to your Practitioner Modifier. For the next 24 hours, they are considered "you" for the purpose of Sundering Disbelief, letting you make an attack of opportunity against spells that target them.

Further, they gain half of your disbelief bonus to whatever you gain it to. And, if the enemy fails to overcome your Spell Resistance from Sundering Disbelief, and the effect would normally affect other targets, those targets gain your disbelief bonus to their saves, or AC against it. (You are unaffected by it, as normal for SR.)

On the Rebound
By expending your martial focus when an enemy fails to overcome the spell resistance granted by Sundering Disbelief, you may bounce the effect back to them. If the effect required a save, the caster must make the original save. If it used an attack, then use the attack roll that was already made against you. You may not bounce back a effects sundered due to Advanced Disbelief.

Paranoia
You gain your disbelief bonus to Sense Motive checks. You also gain it as Perception checks made to defeat disguises, particularly of shapeshifters. Further, whenever you can perceive an illusion, whether you've interacted with it or not, you may make a save or check (as appropriate) against it. You may also automatically make a perception check when you come within 10 feet of a secret door.

Positive Claim
You gain the Counterspell (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/counterspell-feats#toc0) feat as a bonus feat, regardless of prerequisites. Your Magic Skill Bonus (MSB), for the purpose of the feats in the Counterspell chain, is equal to your BAB, and your casting ability modifier is your choice of Strength, Dexterity, or your practitioner modifier. You ignore the prerequisite of "Casting class feature".

Lastly, whenever the Counterspell feats ask for spell points, you may choose to expend your martial focus instead.

------------------------------------- [Legendary Talents] -------------------------------------

Advanced Disbelief
Prerequisites: Level 5, Positive Claim, and (Expanded Disbelief or Not Afraid)
If you possess Expanded Disbelief, you may now use Sundering Disbelief on conjured creatures, effects or items, such as Summon Monster's summoned monster, creation sphere's materials, or Grease as an immediate action, if you've got martial focus. You may either make the Sundering Disbelief as an attack of opportunity when directly affected by such conjurations (like when about to step on Grease, get hit by a conjured anvil, or mauled by a summoned bear), or in place of a normal attack against the conjured target. Success indicates that the conjured effect is dispelled.

If you possess Not Afraid you may use Sundering Disbelief on undead reanimated by mortal magic (ie. are not the work of forces of nature, powerful rituals or deities), in a similar fashion as you could with conjured targeds. (Note: this is only intended to counter 'minionmancy' spells, not to one-shot liches and vampires. Targets are subject to DM discretion.)

Studied Incongruity
Prerequisites: Knowledge (Religion) 10 ranks, and Positive Claim
By obtaining a greater knowledge of holy texts than the majority of followers, you are better able to spot inconsistencies, and be convinced of their falsehood. When subjected to Divine spells or abilities (including those made by deities), you may add your disbelief modifier to your AC or Saves against them. The first time every minute you are subjected to a Divine effect that, you get a free use of Sundering Disbelief, and you must must attempt to use it, even if the effect would be harmless or beneficial.

Characters may not benefit from this talent if they cast Divine spells - not even through the Seminar talent.

Energizer
Whenever an enemy fails to overcome your Sundering Disbelief, you gain 1d2 Energy Points. These may be used as spell points for Counterspell feats, or be used to restore your own hit points equal to 1d8 per three HD (for each energy point spent) as a free action. Alternatively, one point may be used to restore fatigue, while two points restore exhaustion, as free actions. These energy points, last for up to 1 hour.

SangoProduction
2018-03-28, 05:41 PM
Oops. This was meant for the homebrew section. My bad. I'll report the thread immediately.

Genth
2018-03-28, 08:15 PM
Personally, I like it! Though I think the Core ability, Sundering Disbelief is a bit too powerful. I'd make these changes, personally:

1) If you want to keep the rolling aspect, you shouldn't be utilizing your BAB - I'd make it d20+Disbelief Bonus from the sphere. That makes it a comparable roll to Caster Level/MSB checks that the casters will be using, as opposed to stupendously high. (Average 5th level martial character would be rolling 1d20+10 (5 BAB + 5Str), meaning their average SR would be 20, which is very high at 5th level)

2) I'd make it applying to others around them a separate talent.

khadgar567
2018-03-29, 01:48 AM
Thanks for being the first to share a new sphere. Now i can post mine with no problem

SangoProduction
2018-03-29, 05:02 AM
Personally, I like it! Though I think the Core ability, Sundering Disbelief is a bit too powerful. I'd make these changes, personally:

1) If you want to keep the rolling aspect, you shouldn't be utilizing your BAB - I'd make it d20+Disbelief Bonus from the sphere. That makes it a comparable roll to Caster Level/MSB checks that the casters will be using, as opposed to stupendously high. (Average 5th level martial character would be rolling 1d20+10 (5 BAB + 5Str), meaning their average SR would be 20, which is very high at 5th level)

2) I'd make it applying to others around them a separate talent.

Oh. Right. For some reason, I was thinking that casters also added their ability modifier vs spell resistance. And...yeah. I guess the save bonus to others can be put in the seminar.

legomaster00156
2018-03-29, 08:29 AM
With Expanded Disbelief, a practitioner may effectively counterspell for free as an attack of opportunity from level 1. Counterspelling would cost a caster one spell point, a standard action, and a feat with a prereq of CL 5. Maybe you should just say that Expanded Disbelief's success simply means you are not affected by whatever spell/sphere for one round.

SangoProduction
2018-03-29, 08:36 AM
With Expanded Disbelief, an initiator may effectively counterspell for free as an attack of opportunity from level 1. Counterspelling would cost a caster one spell point, a standard action, and a feat with a prereq of CL 5. Maybe you should just say that Expanded Disbelief's success simply means you are not affected by whatever spell/sphere for one round.

You...do have a point.

legomaster00156
2018-03-29, 09:30 AM
I suggest making Sundering Disbelief an immediate action that can only be done while you have martial focus.
I suggest making On the Rebound instead give the new target a bonus to their save/AC instead of making it harder for them to resist. Otherwise, it's not only equal to but superior to Spell Turning, a spell that even Vancian casters don't get until level 13.
I suggest making Positive Claim only qualify you for Counterspell rather than give it to you as a bonus feat, because otherwise, why someone take Counterspell instead of Extra Martial Talent (Positive Claim)?

SangoProduction
2018-03-29, 10:16 AM
I suggest making Sundering Disbelief an immediate action that can only be done while you have martial focus.
I suggest making On the Rebound instead give the new target a bonus to their save/AC instead of making it harder for them to resist. Otherwise, it's not only equal to but superior to Spell Turning, a spell that even Vancian casters don't get until level 13.
I suggest making Positive Claim only qualify you for Counterspell rather than give it to you as a bonus feat, because otherwise, why someone take Counterspell instead of Extra Martial Talent (Positive Claim)?

On the topic of Rebound, yeah. You've got a point. I was compensating for the fact that martial types, even Spheres of Might, just aren't as good as casters (even those of SoP). But you're right. Just the level advantage is probably enough.

You make no arguments for the Sundering Disbelief, but I will defend that it should be an attack of opportunity, because you can further build around it, if desired, but isn't required to do so. I like options like that. Making it an immediate action offer no build options, and indeed restrict options further.

And for your question on Positive Claim, because you'd need to take a minimum of two feats if you wish to take it (Skepticism sphere + talent), which is twice as many feats as just taking Counterspell. Also, most who could take Counterspell don't have as good of a BAB, making it a strictly worse option.

legomaster00156
2018-03-29, 10:43 AM
Energizer's "energy points" probably need an expiration. I suggest either 1 minute after the end of combat or 1 hour.

SangoProduction
2018-03-29, 06:48 PM
Energizer's "energy points" probably need an expiration. I suggest either 1 minute after the end of combat or 1 hour.

lol. I really didn't put one in? I really didn't put one in. RIP.