PDA

View Full Version : What would you get from the parent race if you were a Half-elf of Shadar-kai origins?

Arkhios
2018-03-29, 05:56 AM
The title says it all. I know that Shadar-kai haven't been officially published (yet), and the UA Article (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf) is currently the only source of information regarding this subrace (in 5th edition anyway).

What would a variant half-elf of Shadar-kai descent get from his or her elven heritage? What would you say? I'm not asking what's RAW, because there isn't one.

Crgaston
2018-03-29, 06:22 AM
You could trade your 2 skills for Perception plus either the cantrip or the teleport.

Edit: I am wrong, it’s either Perception OR one of the other features!

Mortis_Elrod
Well while we’re at it we might as well go through all of those races.

Here’s what I would give:
Avariel- language. I don’t think half elf should get the wings.

Grugach- weapon training or Druid cantrip

Sea elf- friend of the sea or weapon training. Swim speed is cool but I think narratively friend of the sea is cool and seems like something you’d get from being half sea elf.

Shadar-Kai- cantrips. Maybe if half eladrin get teleport then I’d give half shadar-Kai teleport, but I don’t think it’s good for balance. Half elf is already one of the best races.

Unoriginal
They're probably going to say something about that in the Mordenkainen's Tome of Foe, along with the finished version of the Shadar-kai.

Millstone85
Going by SCAG's example, I would assume that a half-elf of shadar-kai descent could forgo Skill Versatility and gain one of the following:
* the elf trait Keen Senses.
* the shadar-kai's Cantrip.
* the shadar-kai's Blessing of the Raven Queen.

edit: That was some synchronized posting!

Arkhios
2018-03-29, 06:56 AM
They're probably going to say something about that in the Mordenkainen's Tome of Foe, along with the finished version of the Shadar-kai.

Sorry to be blunt, but: "Duh!"

I was just trying to get people's opinions about what they might get. That, plus I just can't wait until MToF is out. :smallbiggrin:

Quoxis
2018-03-30, 06:46 AM
Well while we’re at it we might as well go through all of those races.

Here’s what I would give:
Avariel- language. I don’t think half elf should get the wings.

Grugach- weapon training or Druid cantrip

Sea elf- friend of the sea or weapon training. Swim speed is cool but I think narratively friend of the sea is cool and seems like something you’d get from being half sea elf.

Shadar-Kai- cantrips. Maybe if half eladrin get teleport then I’d give half shadar-Kai teleport, but I don’t think it’s good for balance. Half elf is already one of the best races.

Sea half-elves are already official since scag, they can get the swim speed but nothing else iirc.

NecroDancer
2018-03-30, 01:01 PM
Half of your chromosomes