PDA

View Full Version : Musings on RotWM and weapon foci

Millstone85
2018-03-29, 08:24 AM
Xanathar's Guide to Everything introduced the following magic item:

Ruby of the War Mage
Wondrous item, common (requires attunement by a spellcaster)
Etched with eldritch runes, this 1-inch-diameter ruby allows you to use a simple or martial weapon as a spellcasting focus for your spells. For this property to work, you must attach the ruby to the weapon by pressing the ruby against it for at least 10 minutes. Thereafter, the ruby can’t be removed unless you detach it as an action or the weapon is destroyed. Not even an antimagic field causes it to fall off. The ruby does fall off the weapon if your attunement to the ruby ends.

First off, do you think that affixing a RotWM to a weapon makes that weapon count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance or immunity to nonmagical attacks? Perhaps it doesn't. You are not attacking with the ruby, strictly speaking, and the weapon itself has only become a spellcasting focus, not a magic item. It might also bring RotWM beyond the value of a common magic item. Or would it? Maybe there is no harm in allowing it as a DM or suggesting it as a player.

Then, what are your thoughts on homebrewing weapons that already work as spellcasting foci? Things like:

Athame
Weapon (dagger), common (requires attunement by a druid or warlock)
Its long use as a ceremonial blade has imbued this dagger with a small measure of eldritch power. You can use this magic weapon as a spellcasting focus.

Sworn Enforcer
Weapon (battleaxe, longsword, or warhammer), common (requires attunement by a paladin)
Some paladins prefer the versatility of this consecrated weapon to emblazoning a holy symbol on their shield. You can use this magic weapon as a spellcasting focus.

Songblade
Weapon (rapier), common (requires attunement by a bard or bladesinger)
This elegant blade produces a faint whistle as it dances through the air. You can use this magic weapon as a spellcasting focus.

nickl_2000
2018-03-29, 08:30 AM
Xanathar's Guide to Everything introduced the following magic item:

Ruby of the War Mage
Wondrous item, common (requires attunement by a spellcaster)
Etched with eldritch runes, this 1-inch-diameter ruby allows you to use a simple or martial weapon as a spellcasting focus for your spells. For this property to work, you must attach the ruby to the weapon by pressing the ruby against it for at least 10 minutes. Thereafter, the ruby can’t be removed unless you detach it as an action or the weapon is destroyed. Not even an antimagic field causes it to fall off. The ruby does fall off the weapon if your attunement to the ruby ends.

First off, do you think that affixing a RotWM to a weapon makes that weapon count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance or immunity to nonmagical attacks? Perhaps it doesn't. You are not attacking with the ruby, strictly speaking, and the weapon itself has only become a spellcasting focus, not a magic item. It might also bring RotWM beyond the value of a common magic item. Or would it? Maybe there is no harm in allowing it as a DM or suggesting it as a player.

You can suggest it, but I wouldn't allow it. Your focus is the ruby, which happens to be on a weapon you are holding. The weapon itself isn't magical.

Then, what are your thoughts on homebrewing weapons that already work as spellcasting foci? Things like:

Athame
Weapon (dagger), common (requires attunement by a druid or warlock)
Its long use as a ceremonial blade has imbued this dagger with a small measure of eldritch power. You can use this magic weapon as a spellcasting focus.

Sworn Enforcer
Weapon (battleaxe, longsword, or warhammer), common (requires attunement by a paladin)
Some paladins prefer the versatility of this consecrated weapon to emblazoning a holy symbol on their shield. You can use this magic weapon as a spellcasting focus.

Songblade
Weapon (rapier), common (requires attunement by a bard or bladesinger)
This elegant blade produces a faint whistle as it dances through the air. You can use this magic weapon as a spellcasting focus.

If you were to specifically to call out that the weapon can be used as a focus, but doesn't count as magical for overcoming resistance go nuts. If a common item overcomes resistance, I'm 100% against it in the early levels.

Unoriginal
2018-03-29, 08:40 AM
First off, do you think that affixing a RotWM to a weapon makes that weapon count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance or immunity to nonmagical attacks?

Nope. The magic is on the ruby, not the weapon.

Note than spell focuses by themselves aren't magic, so you can't use your wizard staff to bypass the resistance/immunity.

Millstone85
2018-03-29, 11:15 AM
If you were to specifically to call out that the weapon can be used as a focus, but doesn't count as magical for overcoming resistance go nuts. If a common item overcomes resistance, I'm 100% against it in the early levels.A magic weapon with nonmagical attacks would be confusing, though. I guess that is one of the reasons they went with this sticky gem mechanic.

What about a weapon with a design that incorporates crystals or holy symbols in a way that makes it another nonmagical focus for spellcasting? Of course, that would remove the need for attunement.

Alternatively, the weapons can be moved to the uncommon category of magic item. Or should they be rare?

nickl_2000
2018-03-29, 11:32 AM
A magic weapon with nonmagical attacks would be confusing, though. I guess that is one of the reasons they went with this sticky gem mechanic.

What about a weapon with a design that incorporates crystals or holy symbols in a way that makes it another nonmagical focus for spellcasting? Of course, that would remove the need for attunement.

Alternatively, the weapons can be moved to the uncommon category of magic item. Or should they be rare?

No, a weapon that is magical and is a focus would certainly not be a rare. I personally would put it into the uncommon category, where PCs may see it around level 3-4. If you were making it a focus and doing something else, then you may move into the rare category.

Unoriginal
2018-03-29, 11:54 AM
A Moon-Touched Sword is a Common magic item, and IS magic enough to bypass resistance/immunity.

The issue with the Ruby is that it's not a weapon. It's a magic item you put on the weapon.

Plenty of staves and rods are both magic weapons and focuses.

Millstone85
2018-03-29, 02:02 PM
A Moon-Touched Sword is a Common magic item, and IS magic enough to bypass resistance/immunity.Good point! I missed that. So what if, instead of a weapon that counts as magical and provides slightly less light than a torch, there was a weapon that counts as magical and can be used as a spellcasting focus? Does that sound like a proper common magic item to you? And would you have it require attunement like the RotWM?

Truth be told, I will soon have a chance to visit the Order of Blue Flame in Waterdeep. As I am a somewhat important member of the organization and this is such a major port, I think I should ask if they have any interesting item they could part with. Specifically, I would be looking for something like the athame I described. But I prefer to discuss the idea here first.

Unoriginal
2018-03-29, 02:58 PM
Good point! I missed that. So what if, instead of a weapon that counts as magical and provides slightly less light than a torch, there was a weapon that counts as magical and can be used as a spellcasting focus? Does that sound like a proper common magic item to you? And would you have it require attunement like the RotWM?

Truth be told, I will soon have a chance to visit the Order of Blue Flame in Waterdeep. As I am a somewhat important member of the organization and this is such a major port, I think I should ask if they have any interesting item they could part with. Specifically, I would be looking for something like the athame I described. But I prefer to discuss the idea here first.

Why can't you just put the Ruby on a magic weapon?

Millstone85
2018-03-29, 04:08 PM
Why can't you just put the Ruby on a magic weapon?What makes you think that I already have either of those?

I suppose that I could look for the ruby and for a common magic weapon, like a moon-touched dagger. But that feels... I don't know... a bit overcomplicated and wasteful if I am not going to later transfer the ruby to increasingly better weapons?

Spamotron
2018-03-29, 04:32 PM
Good point! I missed that. So what if, instead of a weapon that counts as magical and provides slightly less light than a torch, there was a weapon that counts as magical and can be used as a spellcasting focus? Does that sound like a proper common magic item to you? And would you have it require attunement like the RotWM?

My inner DM says no. The main draw of a Moontouched sword is the ability to overcome non-magical weapon resistance at low levels. The light it provides is gravy. Combining the main draws of two magic items into one bumps the resulting item up one rarity in my mind. So the weapon you seek would qualify as Uncommon.

Millstone85
2018-03-29, 04:41 PM
My inner DM says no. The main draw of a Moontouched sword is the ability to overcome non-magical weapon resistance at low levels. The light it provides is gravy. Combining the main draws of two magic items into one bumps the resulting item up one rarity in my mind. So the weapon you seek would qualify as Uncommon.And [/THREAD]. In that case, I will actually look for an uncommon focus, like the +1 version of Rod of the Pact Keeper.