PDA

View Full Version : The firewarrior prestige class (+feats and spells)

boomwolf
2007-08-31, 11:49 AM
The Firewarrior, made out of the finest warriors and sorcerers found on the face of the earth. combining both a melee combat skill, and powerful spellcasting.

hit die: d8

Requirements
Alignment: Any Chaotic or Any Evil (or both)
BAB: +5
Spellcasting: Capable of spontaneously casting 2nd level spells, one of which must be of the [fire] subtype
Feats: Two-Weapon fighting, dodge, Combat Casting.
Special: Must have had peaceful contact with a fire elemental or trained by another Fire Warrior.

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special
1st | +1 | +0 | +1 | +1 | Fire Immune, BattleCasting feat
2nd | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Flaming Trasform
3rd | +2 | +1 | +2 | +2 | -
4th | +2 | +1 | +2 | +2 | Spell Ignition
5th | +3 | +1 | +2 | +3 | -
6th | +3 | +1 | +3 | +3 | -
7th | +4 | +1 | +3 | +3 | FlameCraft[/table]

Spellcasting:
the firewarrior can cast spells like a sorcerer, except he has his own spell limit and spell list. your caster level is equal to three times you firewarrior level.
spell limit:

{table=head]Firewarrior Level | level 1 spells | level 2 spells | level 3 spells | level 4 spells
1st | 2 | 1 | 0 | 0
2nd | 3 | 2 | 0 | 0
3rd | 4 | 3 | 1 | 0
4th | 6 | 4 | 2 | 0
5th | 8 | 5 | 3 | 0
6th | 9 | 7 | 4 | 1
7th | 9 | 9 | 5 | 2[/table]

spells knowen:
{table=head]Firewarrior Level | level 1 spells | level 2 spells | level 3 spells | level 4 spells
1st | 3 | 2 | 0 | 0
2nd | 4 | 2 | 0 | 0
3rd | 5 | 3 | 2 | 0
4th | 6 | 3 | 3 | 0
5th | 6 | 4 | 4 | 0
6th | 6 | 4 | 5 | 1
7th | 6 | 5 | 5 | 2[/table]

spell list on the end of the post.

Skills:

skill point per level: 2 + int modifer

Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Tumble (Dex).

Abilitys:

Fire immune-the firewarrior takes only half damage from fire and flame-based attacks/spells, rounded up.

Flameing Transform-a firewarrior of the second level to change the damage type and element of any spell he casts to fire.

Spell Ignition-when a forth level firewarrior is casting a fire spell, he may use up one spell of one level lower of the spell casted to add 25% damage, rounded down. a transformed spell requires to use up a spell of the same level instead.

FlameCraft-allows the seventh level firewarrior to shape natural flames into a rapier with bonus 1d6 fire damage. a natural fire source (such as campfire, torch,lamp) is required, using this ability will destroy the fire source. the rapier disappears after 1 hour, or is it leaves the firewarrior's hand.

New Feats:

Front-Line Casting [General]
Used mainly by firewarriors, this allows the spellcaster fight while casting.
Prerequisites: Two-Weapon Fighting, Combat Casting.
Benefits: you are allowed to cast a spell in one hard while fighting with the other. Every time you cast a spell you may make a single attack with a weapon wielded in one hand.

Dual-Casting [General]
A feared ability of some spellcasters. this allows them to cast two spells at once.
Prerequisites: Two-Weapon Fighting, Silent Spell.
Benefits: You may cast two spells at once, as long one of them is silent.
Normal: only one spell may be cast at a time, no matter what.

Spell Suspension [Metamagic]
used by several firewarriors, this allows them to hold off their spells until the time is right.
Prerequisites: Firewarrior level 3.
Benefits: Allows you to keep damage spells in your hand instead of shooting them, you may shoot them at any time or use them as a one-shot melee weapon. if the spell hasn't been used in 6 rounds it cancels.

Shadowed Spell [Metamagic]
A fearsome abilty that allows the spellcaster to use spells without the enemy being able to see it at all.
Prerequisites: Silent Spell, Still Spell, hide 8+.
Benefits: Any spell under this metamagic is silent, still and invisible to the naked eye (magical means such as detect magic will reveal the spell) casting spells under this metamagic takes a spell slot of two levels higher.

The firewarrior Spell list:
*players handbook 3.5
**my creation, in-deapth explnation below.

level 1:

fireball*-1d6 damage per level, 20ft radios.
Exploasive Runes*-6d6 damage when read.
Rage*-target gains +2 to Str and Con,+1 to will save,-2 to AC.
Fire Trap*-opened obgect deals 1d4 damage +1/level.
Fire Shield*-creatures attacking you take fire damage, you are protected from heat or cold.
Daylight*-60 ft. radios of bright light

level 2:

Wall of Fire*-deals 2d4 fire damage out 10 ft. and 1d4 out to 20 ft. passing through wall deals 2d6 fire damage +1/level.
Shout*-deafens all withing cone and deals 5d6 sonic damage.
Solid Fog*-Blocks Vision and slows movment.
Fire Eye**-allows perfect vision in any condition.
Seeming*-Changes appearance of one person for two levels.
Smoke Figure**-creates 1 smoke figure of yourself. has the same stats as you except it has 10 hit points, appears jest like you with a naked eye.

Level 3:
Hellfire Missle**- 2, 2d4 fire damage missiles, +1 missile for firewarrior levels 5,7.
Advance Explasive Runes**- deals 8d8 damage when read.
Teleport*- instantly transports you as far as 100 miles/level.
Molten Flare**-Blinds and dazzles all targets in a cone for 3 minutes.
Touch of Fire**-deals 10d3 fire damage to target.

Level 4:
Finger of Death*-kills one subject.
Infernal judgment**-all enemys withing 30 ft. of caster suffer 3d10 fire damage.
Blaze**- see description below.

unique spells description:

Fire Eye
Transmutation
Level: Firewarrior 2, sorcerer/wizard 3
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Targets: self
Duration: 10 rounds

provides clear sight no matter the weather effect/blindness/magical fog etc.
Focus: having an eye (not has to be YOUR eye. but one in hand, or in your head.)

Smoke Figure:
Evocation
Level: Firewarrior 2, evil cleric 5
Components: V, S
Duration: 20 rounds.

creates a replica of yours, having all of your stats (including equipment) but has only 10 hit points. one the figure reaches 0 hit points it disappears.
a smoke figure can cast only first-level spells.

Hellfire Missle
Evocation [Fire, Darkness]
Level: Firewarrior 3, sorcerer/wizard 5
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: Up to Four creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Lunches 2, 2d4+1 damage missiles, and an additional missle every two levels after the spell level.

Advance Explosive Runes
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Firewarrior 3, sorcerer/wizard 5
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object weighing no more than 10 lb.
Duration: Permanent until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: See text

same as normal explosive runes save it deals 8d8 damage instead.

Molten Flare
Evocation [fire]
Level: Firewarrior 1
Range: 15 ft.
Effect: Burst of light
Area: Cone-shaped burst

Blinds and dazzles all targets in a cone for 3 minutes.

Touch of Fire:
Evocation [fire]
Level: firewarrior 1
Range: Touch
Targets: Creature or creatures touched (up to one/level)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial or Will negates; see text

A touch from your hand, which glows with red energy, burns the creatures touched. Each touch deals 10d3 points of fire damage.

Infernal Judgment:
Evocation [Fire, Darkness]
Level: firewarrior 4
Area: 30-ft.-radius burst
Saving Throw: Reflex half

Creates a sphere of fire around the caster, dealing 3d10 damage to all hostiles that are in the sphere, and blasts them away. (moved to the nearest edge of the sphere.)

Blaze:
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Firewarrior 4
Casting Time: 1 full round.
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: any.
Saving Throw: None

when casting the blaze spell you must use up any amount of spells of the first and second firewarrior spells.
blaze creates a 4d10 missle attack, plus another 2d10 missile for each first level spell used up and 3d10 missile for each second level spell used up. each missile may target another target.

Arakune
2007-08-31, 07:29 PM
make it either a 10th level class or 5th level class, and why chaotic or evil?

boomwolf
2007-08-31, 09:53 PM
why 5 or 10?
is there a role that makes it so?
7 is a valid number.

and it needs chaotic or evil as a non-chaotic non-evil person can't have the necessary connection to fire.

Zeta Kai
2007-09-01, 10:07 AM
10-level, 5-level, & 3-level are standard & common, but are not set in stone. I've seen 14-level, so why not 7-level?

As for the class, this is nice, but what about the many creatures immune to fire? This class falls flat then. "Fire kills everything" works in the real world, but D&D is quite different in many regards, including this one.

boomwolf
2007-09-01, 10:13 AM
a firewarrior still got a few non-fire attacks (such as meele)
and remember-most fire immune critters use fire as well, and the firewarrior is immune to, covering it up.
and besides. what kind of man wonder alone with such heavy-focused character?

ladditude
2007-09-01, 01:21 PM
Sevenfold Initiate is 7 levels of FTW awesomeness.

Hazkali
2007-09-02, 04:13 AM
The DMG specifically says to steer away from using specific levels and ability scores as prerequisites to homebrewed PrCs (p.197). Perhaps you could specify instead BAB and Minimum spell level requirements? Perhaps, Bab +5 and the Ability to cast 2nd level spells?

Caewil
2007-09-02, 06:05 AM
Warrior is an NPC class. No self-respecting player would take it.

Perhaps you could specify instead BAB and Minimum spell level requirements? Perhaps, Bab +5 and the Ability to cast 2nd level spells?

Ability to spontaneously cast 2nd level spells, Bab +3

Bab +5 would only be obtainable by 7th level with the other prerequisite. With Bab +3, the class is obtainable by fifth. Good for any aspiring pyromaniacs.

boomwolf
2007-09-02, 12:42 PM
it would be taken first at level 7.

also-warrior is a very good PC class, dont you read OOTS?

the reason i use dex requirement is because the firewarrior is a SPEED fighter, not a POWER fighter, he uses two-weapon fighting, battle casting, dual-casting and such in order to use a weapon and a spell at once.

heretic
2007-09-02, 12:48 PM
Change it to BAB +3 and the ability to cast 2nd level spells both spontaneously and from memory.

The Warrior is an NPC class. What you're thinking of is a Fighter.

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-02, 01:26 PM
also-warrior is a very good PC class, dont you read OOTS?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/npcClasses/warrior.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/fighter.htm

Slight difference, in that Warrior is an NPC class and stinks, while Fighter gets tons of bonus feats and higher hit dice etc. etc. etc.

Did you mean "warrior-type" such as "fighter, ranger, barbarian" etc. etc.?

boomwolf
2007-09-07, 07:53 PM
actually i meant fighter...
i keep messing these two up.

knightsaline
2007-09-07, 09:30 PM
When I saw the title, I thought it was a PrC based on this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Warrior)

For the things immune to fire, grant the fire warrior an ability that is sometimes thrown around that makes fire spells do half damage to things immune to fire. Its in a book (sandstorm, I think).

One problem with this is Arcane spell failure. The fire warrior seems to be a melee focused PrC with some magical abilities. Saying "fighter level 3" is kind of silly, because most melee/magic breeds are Barbarians/Sorcerers. Paladin/Sorcerer would not fit for the obvious reasons. Make the entry requirements something like this.

Requirements
Alignment: Any Chaotic or Any Evil (or both)
BAB: +3
Spellcasting: Capable of spontaneously casting 2nd level spells, one of which must be of the [fire] subtype
Feats: Two-Weapon fighting, dodge, Combat Casting.
Special: Must have had peaceful contact with a fire elemental or trained by another Fire Warrior.

The stat requirements are a very big no no. you could say instead in the suggestions that it helps to have DEX 16 and CHA 18, but are not required.

Skills! where are the skills! and Skillpoints per level! Every class has to have skillpoints

add an ability that lessens ASF, with the capstone being negating a lot of ASF (if you do this, never EVER negate 100% ASF)

boomwolf
2007-09-07, 09:57 PM
these reqs seem better...better change...

OMFG! I FORGOT SKILLS!
editing it now!

ps:
asf? maybe i simply dont know this shortcut, but i am not familiar with that.

knightsaline
2007-09-08, 02:34 AM
ASF is short for Arcane Spell Failure. Sometimes, I shorten things I type a lot. It saves time to do this.

Flaming transformation has a feat counterpart.I cannot remember the name of it, as I do not have the book. Its a metamagic feat that allows a caster to change the element of a spell by heightening its spell level.

Add a spell called quench that allows them to put out fires. you could call it "the flame and the void". As a wise cleric/fighter once said "the hands that harm must also be able to heal".

boomwolf
2007-09-08, 03:37 AM
maybe he did say it.
but a firewarrior will strongly disagree.
his hands are PURELY to harm.

and actually i dont think you need ASF (took the short) reducer, as your feats reqs naturally lead you to AGILITY armor bonuses, what means you will use little-to-no armor that has little ASF...

onasuma
2007-09-08, 05:11 AM
When I saw the title, I thought it was a PrC based on this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Warrior)

As did I, i was looking forward to it as well.

ufo
2007-09-08, 05:29 AM
As did I, i was looking forward to it as well.

Ditto.

Also, wouldn't it make a bit more sense if Flamecraft allowed you to make any weapon of flames with 1d8 damage (or 1d6 or whatever the scimitar is, can't bother to look it up.).

Also, I don't see how it makes sense that the Firewarrior must be Chaotic or Evil or both.

It reminds a bit of a PrC I made a bit back (I'm not accusing you of stealing, I never put it on TEH INTARWEBZ!)

boomwolf
2007-09-08, 09:20 AM
never knew that warhammer thingy is there...

and why is everyone complaining about the chaos/evil req?
did you ever see a lawful good enforcer using massive amounts of reckless area-damage spells, even if not fire. (and for that matter, lawful good generally avoids using fire attacks, as they may cause heavy and unexpected side effects.)

the point with flamecarft is that the scimitar made is solid, having all the slash abilitys of a real one, and CAN be use, even if less effective, on fire-immune creatures.

ufo
2007-09-08, 10:21 AM
never knew that warhammer thingy is there...

and why is everyone complaining about the chaos/evil req?
did you ever see a lawful good enforcer using massive amounts of reckless area-damage spells, even if not fire. (and for that matter, lawful good generally avoids using fire attacks, as they may cause heavy and unexpected side effects.)

the point with flamecarft is that the scimitar made is solid, having all the slash abilitys of a real one, and CAN be use, even if less effective, on fire-immune creatures.

I could perfectly see a True Neutral using fire. Perhaps you should just change it to "Any Non-lawful".

And about the scimitar, I hadn't thought about the difference in slash and [other attack types]. Good point.

Just so you know, I like the prestige class, I just wanted to give a bit of critique.

boomwolf
2007-09-08, 10:50 AM
also it wights like a scimitar, leading to possible side-effects.
but actually i am thinking of changing changing it, to rapier, as its a better "speed" weapon (goes with weapon fineness...)

true neutral...havnt thought of that...they MIGHT go and do careless area of effect.
actually its quite likely, hurting both sides at once...

gotta think about it.

Mattarias, King.
2007-09-08, 02:02 PM
:smallbiggrin: Very nice. Reminds me of my own fire PrC. *shamelessly points to sig*

The only problems I have with this is that the "fire immunity" doesn't scale, and that this class lacks a real capstone. Maybe give it more "BOOM!"?

I also agree on that "any non-lawful" bit. Makes sense to me. *shrug*

XD I also find it kinda funny how our views differ slightly on fire weapons. If you want a "speed weapon" that's kinda like a scimitar, might I suggest a cutlass? They have the same exact stats as rapiers, but do slashing damage as well. Plus, they look cool. :smalltongue:

ufo
2007-09-08, 02:07 PM
... might I suggest a cutlass? They have the same exact stats as rapiers, but do slashing damage as well. Plus, they look cool. :smalltongue:

And they're piratey! Arr!

Reminds me that 19th of Septemper is fast approaching.

*cough*

back on topic.