PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Building a better gunslinger

braveheart
2018-03-29, 02:05 PM
My GM is letting me use the gunslinger subclass for fighters that Mathew Mercer has published. While looking it over I noticed that it actually sinergizes extremely well with the rogue class, specifically assassin subclass. I've decided to dual class for at least 7 (for evasion) in rogue and 11 in fighter(3rd attack), however I'm not positive if the last 2 asi opportunities are really worth it, (I'll have my important feats and relevant stats at 20 already) so some advice on where to put the last 3 levels would be helpful. As well as knowing when to start the dual classing.

My character at level 4 is pure fighter, variant human has the sharpshooter feat, magic initiate for hex, 18 dex, and 16 wisdom(second Stat used by gunslinger). The only other feat I want is luck, and I'll grab that after I get 20 dex.

Thank you for the advice

MaxWilson
2018-03-29, 02:22 PM
My immediate thought in response to threat title:

Xanathar's rules on cook's tool proficiencies makes me want to be a grubslinger too!

braveheart
2018-03-29, 06:16 PM
Typos and their editing aside advice is what I was looking for

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-03-30, 02:20 AM
My GM is letting me use the gunslinger subclass for fighters that Mathew Mercer has published. While looking it over I noticed that it actually synergizes extremely well with the rogue class, specifically assassin subclass. I've decided to dual class for at least 7 (for evasion) in rogue and 11 in fighter(3rd attack), however I'm not positive if the last 2 asi opportunities are really worth it, (I'll have my important feats and relevant stats at 20 already) so some advice on where to put the last 3 levels would be helpful. As well as knowing when to start the dual classing.

My character at level 4 is pure fighter, variant human has the sharpshooter feat, magic initiate for hex, 18 dex, and 16 wisdom(second Stat used by gunslinger). The only other feat I want is luck, and I'll grab that after I get 20 dex.

Thank you for the advice

You're only missing two levels. With the rogue's expertise see if your DM will let you apply expertise to that instead of thieves tools. Edit: I'm not sure what your other skills are at but for creating your new firearms you'll probably need some decent intelligence as well.

Fighter 11/Rogue 9: One of your missing ASI's and infiltration expertise- Meh.
Fighter 13/Rogue 7: One of your missing ASI's and a second reroll of a failed save per long rest
Fighter 12/Rogue 8: Two ASI's, aka two more grit points per rest, or xbow expert: don't have disadvantage up close, alert +5 initiative, Mobile: be even more maneuverable. Xbow and Mobile have even better synergy for you if you get stuck in melee, which everybody does. Shoot a guy up close, Dash bonus action and your 80' away all the sudden. This can be even better when combined with piercing shot.
Fighter 15/Rogue 5: Loses evasion, Gains a bonus action reload and piercing shot. No lost ASI's

braveheart
2018-03-30, 09:51 AM
snip

Good points, I was toying with the thought of a third class as well, but of the options the 12 8 is most appealing. However the more short term question is the pacing of when to take each class to what point to, my current thought is to go to fighter 6 then rogue 4 (20 for dex at 6 and luck at rogue 4) but after that I'm not sure which to prioritize.

strangebloke
2018-03-30, 10:23 AM
Looks like you pretty much have it figured out. You're going to sometimes get tons of crits and get all your grit back. That's fantastic.

I think 12/8 is easily the best split, but that is just because I love ASIs. Sharpshooter, xbow expert, alert (you need to win initiative to get surprise), skulker, and observant are all great picks

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-03-30, 11:15 AM
Good points, I was toying with the thought of a third class as well, but of the options the 12 8 is most appealing. However the more short term question is the pacing of when to take each class to what point to, my current thought is to go to fighter 6 then rogue 4 (20 for dex at 6 and luck at rogue 4) but after that I'm not sure which to prioritize.

I think that's the right idea, after that I would personally take it all the way to fighter 12. Unless you are nearly dying to aoe stuff consistently in which case rogue to get evasion.

Basically make the decision once you're there depending on the circumstances.