PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a loophole, anyone able to help?

TotalNoob
2018-03-29, 03:46 PM
My 1000 word explanation was just deleted. Nice job Playground...whatever, first time doing this.

Killed a wizard. Got a ring that gives me partial immortality. It gives monsters control over me, certain ones anyways, I take off the ring, I die. I have a dark master I must serve, which is why I have to serve this HORNED DEVIL.

Yup, level 3 party. 1 level 4. Party of 5. One of them are useless. Fighting a Horned Devil. He’s forcing me to fight. I used a loophole but now I have to fight with full strength.

I’m going to change from chaotic Evil to Chaotic Neutral soon, so nothing evil. I want to keep the Rings power, but get rid of the connection to the dark master, maybe my fiend boss can help?

Anyone have any ideas for a loophole to escape? My DM said I could find one. Are next session is in a week or two.

Foxhound438
2018-03-29, 03:52 PM
My 1000 word explanation was just deleted. Nice job Playground...whatever, first time doing this.

Killed a wizard. Got a ring that gives me partial immortality. It gives monsters control over me, certain ones anyways, I take off the ring, I die. I have a dark master I must serve, which is why I have to serve this HORNED DEVIL.

Yup, level 3 party. 1 level 4. Party of 5. One of them are useless. Fighting a Horned Devil. He’s forcing me to fight. I used a loophole but now I have to fight with full strength.

I’m going to change from chaotic Evil to Chaotic Neutral soon, so nothing evil. I want to keep the Rings power, but get rid of the connection to the dark master, maybe my fiend boss can help?

Anyone have any ideas for a loophole to escape? My DM said I could find one. Are next session is in a week or two.

How exactly does the "gives monsters control" part work? is that still hidden? has it happened yet?

JackPhoenix
2018-03-29, 03:52 PM
Not unless you post the exact description of the ring's powers. Hard to find loophole in the rules if we don't see the rules.

Haldir
2018-03-29, 03:58 PM
You just need to create a situation where freeing the ring from the devil's control serves the devil. Pretty standard story fare.

Most churches, when tipped off about devilry, will have some sort of plan in place. There's a good place to start. Use their plan to your advantage.

TotalNoob
2018-03-29, 03:59 PM
Basically immortality, no dying of aging, or any other means, when I drop to 0 HP, I disappear for a few days. If I'm decapitated or am burned to ashes etc, then I'm gone like anyone else. Of course, my head can just be put back on...

I'm bound to a dark master, servitude is how it was described.
The horned devil works for the dark master, so he's able to magically control me due to the rings properties.
I take off the ring I die.

That's really all I know.:smalleek:

I'm just asking if there's some sort of way to sever the master's control from me while keeping the rings magic.:smallfrown:

A Fat Dragon
2018-03-29, 04:09 PM
Convince the devil that working against the Dark Lord is more beneficial than working for him. If you do so, and the Ruler sees this, then he might be upset with the devil, kill him, and perhaps the DM will be nice enough to allow the Dark Lord to give you a gift, in return for being able to persuade/deceit a devil, while finding out how weak-willed he is.

Also, why hasn’t this dark lord stopped the devil? If the Dark Lord has been watching you, then surely he’s seen you level up at least once. If he knows that you can level up, then won’t that be more of a reason to kill the devil asap, or even better, do it all for you, and let you land the final blow? I can understand why the Dark Lord might not stop the devil if there are any Clerics in your party, but not so sure about any other possible reasons.

If I were the Dark Lord, I’d let the Horned Devil take on your party, though force him to kill any Clerics. Once all Clerics are dead and gone, I’d come to you, and bring him down to 1 HP, and then attempt to stun everybody but you, letting only you get the kill. Not only are you starting to get the favor of a possibly very powerful champion, but you’ve opened up a space for him on the Evil Army, and killed any holy people who might try and ressurect him if he dies by taking off the ring.

Something about having a slave force another, weaker slave, to fight him, so that the other slave can kill him, makes no sense to me. Perhaps your DM may have a plan for the whole ordeal? A sort of, “Hah, you thought you were going to die? Nah, I just wanted to give you a cool way to force you into this new quest.”

TotalNoob
2018-03-29, 04:14 PM
Me and the devil aren't exactly fighting, he's controlling me, and I don't think the dark lord even realizes I have the ring yet, the guy who last had it teleported away as soon as he gave it to me, and then we walked in to find the devil, and I think I explained the rest.

We do have a former Cleric, who became a severely weak vampire spawn when he died. We also have a Cleric/Monk player.

I think I'll try persuading it. And I haven't leveled up since I got the ring.:smallconfused:

Unoriginal
2018-03-29, 04:25 PM
I don't think there is a loophole. You either have the ring and the troubles, or not.

Unless you get to learn how exactly having the rind means you have to serve and exploit those terms, but...

Theodoxus
2018-03-29, 04:32 PM
Find a ring of mind shielding? Even if you die, your soul gets sucked into it instead, allowing you to be true res'd (if no body) or reincarnated...

But the other properties should keep both the Dark Lord and Horned Devil from being able to influence you, while not affecting the other powers of the ring.

My group ran into a similar situation with the Ring of Winter. Sadly, the player with the ring of mind shielding never touched the ring of winter... but he was never possessed by a trickster god either...

Coec
2018-03-29, 05:17 PM
Could you multiclass into a warlock, take either great old one or fey in exchange for suppressing the properties of the ring that allow for others to control you?

Unoriginal
2018-03-29, 05:21 PM
Maybe you can have the Horned Devil reveal more of the secrets behind the ring and the dark lord?

Of course, Horned Devils are smart and good at manipulating, but IRRC they also tend to prefer the easy way to the hard way. So maybe you can play on that?

TotalNoob
2018-03-29, 05:28 PM
Could you multiclass into a warlock, take either great old one or fey in exchange for suppressing the properties of the ring that allow for others to control you?

I'm actually already a fiend warlock...

Maybe you can have the Horned Devil reveal more of the secrets behind the ring and the dark lord?

Of course, Horned Devils are smart and good at manipulating, but IRRC they also tend to prefer the easy way to the hard way. So maybe you can play on that?

It's definitely something I'm considering, but the Horned Devil didn't want to talk to me while he was making me help him attack my party...:smalleek:

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-29, 07:02 PM
Get one of the Clerics up to level 5, have them prepare Revivify. Take off the ring, die, and then get Revivified quickly.

GreyBlack
2018-03-29, 07:22 PM
Get one of the Clerics up to level 5, have them prepare Revivify. Take off the ring, die, and then get Revivified quickly.

This depends on whether the soul is free to return. This may be a case where the soul will be trapped, preventing revivification.

Unoriginal
2018-03-29, 07:40 PM
How did the guy who gave the ring do so without dying?

MaxWilson
2018-03-29, 07:46 PM
I'm just asking if there's some sort of way to sever the master's control from me while keeping the rings magic.:smallfrown:

Being on time every session, bringing pizza, and giving the DM a soothing foot massage might be a good start.

Seriously, no one on the Internet can help you here. We don't know your situation or the rules you're playing by. Only the other players at your table, and the DM, have any insight to offer.

TotalNoob
2018-03-29, 10:45 PM
Being on time every session, bringing pizza, and giving the DM a soothing foot massage might be a good start.

Seriously, no one on the Internet can help you here. We don't know your situation or the rules you're playing by. Only the other players at your table, and the DM, have any insight to offer.

Ya, you're probably right, just wanted to know if anything similar has happened or does happen that I don't know about, thanks for all the help

TotalNoob
2018-03-29, 10:47 PM
How did the guy who gave the ring do so without dying?

A gimmick where you die if you take off the ring, but if someone asks for it, they can have it.
I wanna keep the ring, figured it wasn't important.
I just wanted ways to sever the ring maker master guys control

Currently wondering if remove curse might work...

1Pirate
2018-03-29, 11:27 PM
Well, I doubt the DM would let it fly, but you could always try to pull the ol' "I command you to never obey me again!" routine on the dark master.

GreyBlack
2018-03-30, 12:05 AM
A gimmick where you die if you take off the ring, but if someone asks for it, they can have it.
I wanna keep the ring, figured it wasn't important.
I just wanted ways to sever the ring maker master guys control

Currently wondering if remove curse might work...

So then here's maybe a way to handle it. Cast Suggestion and suggest that the devil ask to take the ring and put it on. Then, cast Suggestion again and suggest that the devil remove it. Take the ring off his corpse.

FreddyNoNose
2018-03-30, 12:10 AM

What happens if you cut off your finger?

TotalNoob
2018-03-30, 12:32 AM
What happens if you cut off your finger?

Instant death, I made sure to ask during the session.

So then here's maybe a way to handle it. Cast Suggestion and suggest that the devil ask to take the ring and put it on. Then, cast Suggestion again and suggest that the devil remove it. Take the ring off his corpse.

This is actually an AMAZING idea, as long as he fails the DC and such, but apparently, every turn I 'have' to attack my teammates. I can try.

Well, I doubt the DM would let it fly, but you could always try to pull the ol' "I command you to never obey me again!" routine on the dark master.

With the command spell or suggestion spell? I know the command spell only uses one word, but I could use suggestion. Thing is I'd have to be talking to him or in front of them I think. Maybe in the future...

DeTess
2018-03-30, 03:10 AM
...protection from evil? Should give you a short while of freedom at least.

Also, as a warlock you could try invoking your patron for help, though that would probably just be exchanging one master for another.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-30, 03:26 AM
Save up until you can afford to hire a Cleric for a casting of resurrection, then take the ring off.

StoicLeaf
2018-03-30, 03:44 AM
ask a friend to ask you for the ring.
this friend then throws the ring into the next well/crevasse/portal.

TotalNoob
2018-03-30, 11:56 PM
...protection from evil? Should give you a short while of freedom at least.

Also, as a warlock you could try invoking your patron for help, though that would probably just be exchanging one master for another.

I’ve been thinking about it, invoking my patron is definitely last resort, but only because it’s a fiend patron. The protection from good and evil is a spectacular idea, since I can use it to protect against fiends! Thanks!

Save up until you can afford to hire a Cleric for a casting of resurrection, then take the ring off.

We do have what is basically a cult of light god worshipping clerics in a light god worshipping town... although, my goal is to keep the ring and sever the connection with the master, been thinking about finding a high level NPC cleric who’s willing to blow off a spell slot to cast remove curse (unsure if demon would allow it using the third level spell slot, who knows, maybe he’ll rule it for a higher level slot?

And it is counted as a cursed item.

ask a friend to ask you for the ring.
this friend then throws the ring into the next well/crevasse/portal.

Same thing from above, want to keep it, been thinking about having a teammate and I switching ring ownership every turn. Shenanigans.

Joe dirt
2018-03-31, 12:30 AM
sure, kill the devil and his power to control vanishs... beyond that, probably not going to happen. my first priority would be getting the ring off... might take a protection from evil, or a remove curse type spell... u could either roll an arcane check to find out more about the ring or pay a wizard to identify it for you and more importantly how to remove said ring.

i am guessing this ring might be an artifact.

once the ring is off u should hold onto it, if u reach high level, then contact this devil with some contact other plane spell or something and make a bargain with the devil... or if u research the devils true name u might be able to force the devil to release his control of the ring

Matrix_Walker
2018-03-31, 01:19 AM

If it's an obviously harmful act, the Suggestion fails. Sorry.

Arkhios
2018-03-31, 01:24 AM
Might be that the ring is Cursed. Usually Cursed items' Curse can be lifted and/or removed without destroying the ring's other powers with Remove Curse cast on the item, or, if there's a spirit bound to the item that makes it cursed (like Sword of Vengeance), Banishment might also work.

Honestly, Identify cast on the ring should reveal if the ring is cursed (along with every other details pertaining it). If the DM refuses to tell you that after Identify, I think he's just an arse looking only to humiliate and control a player's actions.

Unoriginal
2018-03-31, 07:54 AM
The only two pieces of advice I can give you are:

-Do research on the ring, and on the Devil. If your DM wants, there are rules for that in the Xanathar's. You need more info on what's going on, and if possible the name of the Devil.

-Try to get the Devil to talk. Maybe challenge it to a riddle contest and after a few riddles, ask it what you want to know?

StoicLeaf
2018-03-31, 01:15 PM
Same thing from above, want to keep it, been thinking about having a teammate and I switching ring ownership every turn. Shenanigans.

I don't think this will work.
Your DM seems to want this ring to be a "power, for a price" item.
Trying to figure out a way to bypass that is going to be like banging your head against a brick wall.

I mean maybe one day you find a way to leverage what the DM has said against him/her, but the consequences for that will likely see your PC getting whupped by karma.
good luck with your endeavor, though!

TotalNoob
2018-04-02, 09:26 PM
sure, kill the devil and his power to control vanishs... beyond that, probably not going to happen. my first priority would be getting the ring off... might take a protection from evil, or a remove curse type spell... u could either roll an arcane check to find out more about the ring or pay a wizard to identify it for you and more importantly how to remove said ring.

i am guessing this ring might be an artifact.

once the ring is off u should hold onto it, if u reach high level, then contact this devil with some contact other plane spell or something and make a bargain with the devil... or if u research the devils true name u might be able to force the devil to release his control of the ring

No idea if it’s an artifact or not, it might be. Thin is I can’t very well do research until after killing the horned devil

If it's an obviously harmful act, the Suggestion fails. Sorry.

I actually didn’t know that.

Might be that the ring is Cursed. Usually Cursed items' Curse can be lifted and/or removed without destroying the ring's other powers with Remove Curse cast on the item, or, if there's a spirit bound to the item that makes it cursed (like Sword of Vengeance), Banishment might also work.

Honestly, Identify cast on the ring should reveal if the ring is cursed (along with every other details pertaining it). If the DM refuses to tell you that after Identify, I think he's just an arse looking only to humiliate and control a player's actions.

Our DMs cool, but me and the cleric are the only spellcasters, and no identify for either of us, it is cursed and I’ve been looking into a remove curse scroll, but I’m unsure if it’ll work depending on how much the DM wants the dark master guy to be important

The only two pieces of advice I can give you are:

-Do research on the ring, and on the Devil. If your DM wants, there are rules for that in the Xanathar's. You need more info on what's going on, and if possible the name of the Devil.

-Try to get the Devil to talk. Maybe challenge it to a riddle contest and after a few riddles, ask it what you want to know?

Both good ideas. Which I’ll make sure to do after the warlock fiasco.

TotalNoob
2018-04-02, 09:27 PM
I don't think this will work.
Your DM seems to want this ring to be a "power, for a price" item.
Trying to figure out a way to bypass that is going to be like banging your head against a brick wall.

I mean maybe one day you find a way to leverage what the DM has said against him/her, but the consequences for that will likely see your PC getting whupped by karma.
good luck with your endeavor, though!

Thanks, and yeah, I can probably only hope for a stroke of luck...if only I were a rogue...

GreyBlack
2018-04-03, 02:07 AM
This is actually an AMAZING idea, as long as he fails the DC and such, but apparently, every turn I 'have' to attack my teammates. I can try.

Evil is as evil does. I mean, are you being compelled to do this?

If you're being compelled, charmed, or possessed, then Protection from Evil and Good should help break it. Otherwise, you don't "have" to attack anyone.

Gorgo
2018-04-03, 01:19 PM
One thought would be to try to pit the horned devil's control of you against the the "must serve the dark lord" effect and see which is stronger. Maybe have a party member use suggestion of the form "the horned devil is secretly plotting to overthrow the dark lord, you need to stop following his instructions"?