PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Rounding Out the Party

tmjr6
2018-03-29, 05:52 PM
Hey everyone,

My group has two started a second campaign recently, and I'll be rounding at the party. We were thinking that we might need a more range based character and rolled for stats, I got 7, 14, 17, 18, 13, 12. We're starting at level 5 and we're all getting one uncommon item. The party has the following:
-Wood Elf Spore Druid
-Half-Elf Blades Bard/Swashbuckler Rogue
-Dragonborn Paladin (The Player hasn't picked their subclass yet)
-Human Gunslinger
-Barbarian (The Player hasn't picked their race or subclass yet, but they know they want to play a barbarian)

Any recommendations?

Afrodactyl
2018-03-29, 06:02 PM
A cleric would round that party out I feel. More martial/tanking ability and more spellcasting/healing ability.

bid
2018-03-29, 06:02 PM
Not enough casters, more than enough melee.

Hard to do better than wizard.

CTurbo
2018-03-29, 06:33 PM
Can you move the stats around or are they stuck in that order 7 Str, 14 Dex, 17 Con, 18 Int, 13, Wis, and 12 Cha???

I'd go variant Human Light Cleric. Put your two +1s on the 7 and the 13 and take Resilient(Con) at level 1 for an additional +1 to the 17 for Con. You'd start with 18 Wis, 18 Con, 14 Dex, and then you'd have a 14, 12, and 8 to put in Str, Int, and Char depending on where you want your dump stat.

Or you could put your two +1s on your 7 and the 17 (which I would still put in Con) and take a different feat like War Caster, Spell Sniper, Alert, Lucky, or Magic Initiate.

tmjr6
2018-03-29, 06:36 PM
Can you move the stats around or are they stuck in that order 7 Str, 14 Dex, 17 Con, 18 Int, 13, Wis, and 12 Cha???

The stats can be moved around, that was just the order I rolled them in.

CTurbo
2018-03-29, 06:43 PM
Or a variant Human Tempest Cleric with the Heavy Armor Mastery feat at level 1 for 15 Str, 13 Dex, 18 Con, 8 Int, 18 Wis, and 12 Cha. Use Plate + Shield and be the tankiest character in the party except for maybe the Barbarian. Wade out into melee with your Spiritual Weapon + Spirit Guardians and would still be nearly as blasty as the Light Cleric at the same time.

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-29, 06:53 PM
I'm going to suggest a Light Cleric. Gives you access to all of the normal Cleric goodness, while also getting a few blasty spells that your party is missing.

CTurbo
2018-03-29, 06:55 PM
OOOOOO another option....

Wood Elf Monk of Long Death

7 Str, 20 Dex, 14 Con, 13 Int, 18 Wis, 12 Cha

Starting AC would be 19. Use a Quarterstaff for 1d8+5 damage and then unarmed attacks would be 1d4+5. At level 2, your speed is 45ft. At level 3, every time you kill something you'd get 7 temp hp.

I've played this almost exact character and it was a ton of fun and really OP with those stats. At level 4, I bumped Wis to 20 which boosts your AC and temp hp.

sophontteks
2018-03-29, 09:29 PM
Wizard, sorceror, warlock.
Cleric is ok, but the druid can fill that roll already.

Protato
2018-03-30, 01:28 AM
Bard's always a good fifth man, I'd go Lore or Glamour.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-03-30, 01:46 AM
Hey everyone,

My group has two started a second campaign recently, and I'll be rounding at the party. We were thinking that we might need a more range based character and rolled for stats, I got 7, 14, 17, 18, 13, 12. We're starting at level 5 and we're all getting one uncommon item. The party has the following:

Any recommendations?

You guys need some magic, Might as well make it really good at doing magic.

Forest Gnome for +1 Dex +2 Int. You also have advantage on Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma saving throws against magic which is pretty much the only place you run into those.
Wizard (Illusion or Abjuration) Personally I would go Illusion. If you go illusion you'll have five cantrips at level two and the only one you automatically get is one of the funnest ones. Minor Illusion.
7,18*,14,20*,13,12-This puts your spells DC at 16 at level five and all of your ASI's can go to feats or increasing Dex and Con.
Your AC is 14 without anything extra, 17 with mage armor.
Feats to consider: Warcaster, Resilient (con), and Magic Initiate: cleric to pick up guidance and bless.

Uncommon magic items-If your dm is giving you this you'll probably end up with a bunch of magic items non attunement should take priority.

Boots of striding and springing: gets rid of the biggest drawback of being a gnome.
Broom of flying: Witches ride brooms for a reason. no attunement
Cloak of protection: hey it's 18 AC or full plate with none of the disadvantages of full plate.
Gauntlets of Ogre Power: you don't need them but man will that barbarian hate you.
Pearl of power: An extra fireball is never a bad thing.
Rope of climbing: why use normal rope when you can use magic ropes. Mage hand plus a grappling hook means silent placement exactly where you need it. no attunement
Stone of good luck: +1 to alot of common stuff
Wand of magic missiles: at will damage to basically anything. 9d4+9 is no joke at level five no attunement
Wand of the War Mage: +1 to all of your attack spells that require an attack roll.

Citan
2018-03-30, 08:55 AM
Hey everyone,

-Wood Elf Spore Druid
-Half-Elf Blades Bard/Swashbuckler Rogue
-Dragonborn Paladin (The Player hasn't picked their subclass yet)
-Human Gunslinger
-Barbarian (The Player hasn't picked their race or subclass yet, but they know they want to play a barbarian)

Any recommendations?
I'd say Wizard, either Evoker (for blasting without hurting Paladin, Rogue and Barbarian, although all three have great DEX evasion past lvl 6-7), Bladesinger (if you want to help in melee occasionally after level 6 -not before-) or Abjurer (great resilience).

Reason for that recommendation over anything else is three-fold.
1. Rituals: Wizard get some of the best rituals, with Druid having the remaining. So with both in party you'll be plenty safe adventuring-wise.
2. Spell selection: although you don't "know" as many spells as a Cleric or Druid, you have some of the widest list to choose from so you may explore some areas. If your DM plays along and give you spells as loot even better.
3. INT-based: unless your DM is among those ones for who D&d=fightFIGHTFIGHT having someone that is naturally gifted in all Intelligence related skills will be very important (identifying creatures, understanding hints in ancients languages or resolving in-game arcanic puzzles, investigating places etc).

Alternative could be...
a) Clerics, because you get plenty of buffs that are useful even upcast, like Bless, and they have a large array of healing and enough offensive spells to make yourself useful too...
- Tempest Cleric: most versatile of all Wizards, technically bests a Light Cleric in blasting two times per short rest. :)
- Light Cleric: to be a great blaster all day, insteaf of only two times per short rest. ^^

b) Glamour Bard with 2/3-level dip in Knowledge Cleric, to fill the shoes of buffer (archetype abitility, Cleric spells) and skill monkey (Skill Empowerement + Channel Divinity) while still having a decent array of spells to use, although much less varied in styles than a Wizard or Druid (but more varied than a Cleric when putting aside bonus spells ;)).

opaopajr
2018-03-30, 04:30 PM
Fighter. More consistent damage throughput so as to conserve the Paladin's and Barbarian's novas. Also, you can preserve the Druid's and Bard's spell slots by finishing up combats faster.

Also the fighter can go in just as many directions to cover up party gaps, or offer emergency redundancy. I see you could use some extra heal, spare roguishness, and some explore recon. I can easily cover all three -- and help damage throughput so as to conserve your heavy's novas -- all at the same time with just a fighter, (more if feats are allowed).

Heal redundancy through Purple Dragon Knight/Banneret (spam short rests as you can), or through Acolyte to garner church healing support. If feats are on, add Healer or Inspiring Leader.

Rogue redundancy through Criminal, Spy, Trade Sheriff, Urban Bounty Hunter, or Urchin background for the Thieves' Tools. If feats are on, try Skulker, Skilled, Actor, or Mobility.

Explore redundancy, select a race with bonus Skills. And obviously diversify your skills into the exploration pillar. If feats are on, Ritual Caster, Dungeon Delver, Keen Mind, Magic Initiate (Wizard: Mage Hand or Minor Illusion, plus Find Familiar).

Me, with three odd stats, I would run a Standard Human. Getting a second 18, a 14, and upturning that 7 into an 8 helps a lot. But if feats are on I could see just gunning for Variant Human and that 18 and 14.

I could easily see a Purple Dragon Knight Spy or Urban Bounty Hunter. With feats, I would try to run either Healer, Inspiring Leader, Magic Initiate, and/or Ritual Caster. The support potential is disgustingly strong -- and to top it off, you're still a Fighter.

opaopajr
2018-03-30, 05:15 PM
Here is an example of what I meant of what I'd play. :smallcool:
A well-rounded support monster in each pillar, giving your allies plenty of room to conserve their strength to shine.

Verlaine de Classé
Variant Human Fighter, (PDK) Banneret Spy
Lvl 5, PB +3. Saves: STR, CON. Alignment: --
HD: d10. HP: 44. AC: 18 (AC 17 for stealth work)

STR 18 (+4), DEX 12 (+1), CON 14 (2), INT 7 (-2), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 18 (+4)

Lang: Common, Undercommon

Race: Variant Human — Two different stats +1, skill +1, feat +1

Class - Fighter
Armor: All armor & Shields.
Weapons: All simple & martial.
Tools: Thieves' Tools, Gaming Set.

Skills: Athletics +7, Deception (bkrd) +7, Intimidation +7, Stealth (bkrd) +4

Class & Archetype Features:
Fighting Style, Dueling -- When wielding one weapon only, +2 damage with it.
Second Wind — bonus act, regain 1d10+(Fighter Lvl) HP; recharge Short or Long rest.
Action Surge — gain an extra Action. recharges on a Short or Long Rest.
Extra Attack -- When taking the Attack action, gain an extra attack.
Rallying Cry -- When using your Second Wind, also give your Fighter level in HP to up to three ally targets w/in 60' that can see/hear you.

Feats:
Inspiring Leader -- Use ten minutes to give up to 6 friendly targets (including self) w/in 30' that can see/hear & understand you, Temp HP equal to your level plus CHA mod. Reusable after Short or Long Rest.

Healer -- When Stabilizing Creature with Healer's Kit, target also regains 1 HP, reusable.
As an Action with Healer's Kit, heal 1d6+4+(target's max HD) HP, reusable after Short or Long Rest.

Background - Spy

Wealth: ???

Armor:
Chain Shirt - 50 gp, AC 13+DEX (max 2).
Chain Mail - 75 gp, AC 16, STR >13, stealth disadv.
Shield - 10 gp, +2 AC.

Weapons:
2x Handaxe
6x Darts
Battleaxe
Warhammer
2x Javelin
Lance
Net
Longbow (Look, Ma! I'm ranged! :smallcool: )
etc.

Gear: Explorer’s Pack (backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 10x torches, 10x rations, water skin, rope hemp 50') - 10 gp. Hammer - 1 gp. 20x Pitons - 5 cp. Rope hemp - 1 gp. Dice Set - 1 sp. 5x Manacles - 2 gp. ???

Sooo much Short Rest HPs for the party... sooo much! :smalleek:
/plays Terminator movie main theme.

Daithi
2018-03-30, 07:56 PM
I'd also recommend a Cleric or a Divine Soul Sorcerer.

sambojin
2018-03-30, 09:59 PM
Evoker Wizard seems to be a really good match with that much melee in the party. Still plenty of kaboom, with no real downsides. It's this sort of party that they're made for.

A Divination wizard could also be handy, with portent helping with anti-suck.

Lore bard is always good. Plenty of people to be barding at, alongside some pretty good magic. A pure face character can't hurt, and you can fill blasting or healing roles too.

Moon druids are the ultimate all-rounders. You don't really need one, but they do fit into any group if that's what you want to play.

Light cleric for the blasting/healing mix is nice too.

Legendairy
2018-03-31, 01:08 AM
Wizard>sorcerer>bard, many good builds have been posted.

Actually sorcerer may be better, twin spells and careful spells would make you a monster at buffing and keeping allies safe when you blast.

Citan
2018-04-01, 03:36 AM
Wizard>sorcerer>bard, many good builds have been posted.

Actually sorcerer may be better, twin spells and careful spells would make you a monster at buffing and keeping allies safe when you blast.
Nope. ;)
Let's not forget that Careful make people succeed automatically on saves, but no more: "damage on successful save" still applies to allies (which is a good chunk of all AOE damage spells).

That's why Careful is best used with AOE battlefield/control spells (especially if the DM follows RAW and not uselessly nerfing errata, but even without RAW, Careful is still good: it just restricts significantly the spell choice if you want to get the most of it). :) (And that's why for this use-case, nobody is better than an Evoker Wizard usually).

With that said, Careful blasting may actually not be a problem depending on who holds the front line: any guy with Shield Master or Evasion will laugh in the middle of your Fireball. A Bear Barbarian or Ancients Paladin would just feel a light burn on cheeks. Any guy with Absorb Elements will be slightly annoyed but otherwise still well and kicking. ^^ A Nature Cleric could also alleviate the collateral.

In fact, I'd love to play once a tag-team of a blaster (probably Draconic Sorcerer), defender (Nature Cleric probably for Aid and Warding Bond, possibly Sorcerer 3 for Extend) and EK with multiclass into caster (probably Hexblade Warlock)...
They would be known as Lightbringers, using the ElementalWeapon powered EK as a "fire rod" as their main tactic while they keep themselves protected far behind, while the latter uses Absorb Elements to unleash a nova on the main enemy (possibly made vulnerable with Elemental Bane from Sorcerer -he does have that one right? Don't remember Xd).
Completely one-trick pony, certainly not the most effective "standard tactic", but ought to be plenty of fun. ^^

Deadandamnation
2018-04-01, 12:06 PM
In a 6 player party, you can just play whatever you like the most imho.

The best choices being Wiz/Sorc/Bard since your party lack an arcane user.

In a party made of 6 ppl all must over-specialize into something and try to chose something different from the other players, to enjoy their moments.
Else 6 ppl rolling survival to bring food and follow track...it's just un-fun.

Mad Max
2018-04-04, 12:02 AM
Looking at your composition, a dedicated spellcaster is probably in order. If your druid and bard can handle control and utility, try for a damage focused (draconic bloodline) sorcerer? Try 7 STR, 14 DEX, 17 CON, 13 INT, 12 WIS, 18 CHA (you could also swap DEX and CON for higher AC). Combined with Draconic bloodline, this will make you far from a glass cannon. Closer to an Iron Cannon :smalltongue:.

Take primarily blasting spells, and grab either 20 CHA, or maybe Elemental Adept for preferred type. Maybe a wand of the war mage +1? If you want to get stabby, you could grab Ogre Gauntlets. If you want to get around more easily, you could grab Winged Shoes or Spider Climbing Slippers.

Hope this helps!