PDA

View Full Version : Moving and Attacking during a ready action possible?

Tubben
2018-03-30, 04:25 AM
See the topic.

Is it possible to attack and move during an ready action.

There are 2 contrary statements from JC.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/07/09/can-i-move-and-attack-with-a-readied-action/

and

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/07/01/does-readying-an-attack-prevent-me-from-taking-a-reaction/

I tend to yes, you can move (if you still have movement left) during a ready action.

Since english is not my native language i get sometimes the wording wrong, so maybe it's crystal clear.

hymer
2018-03-30, 04:30 AM
Since english is not my native language i get sometimes the wording wrong, so maybe it's crystal clear.
English isn't my first language either. However, I find it to be crystal clear. JC isn't saying in the second link that you can, as a readied action, move and attack. He's saying you can ready an action and then move on your own turn.
So the answer is simply: No.

Tubben
2018-03-30, 07:06 AM
English isn't my first language either. However, I find it to be crystal clear. JC isn't saying in the second link that you can, as a readied action, move and attack. He's saying you can ready an action and then move on your own turn.
So the answer is simply: No.

Yeah, maybe. For me it's not.

so after making the prepared action you can still move if you diden't before ?
JC answer to this question was Yes.

After making the prepared action means, after you took your reaction to do the prepared action.

And if JC answer is YES, then it means you can move after your readied action (after you took your reaction, as part of the reaction).

Otherwise the question should have been: "So, after preparing my action, can i still move if i didnt before?". Am i wrong? As i said, it's pretty possible i get the wording wrong.

Millstone85
2018-03-30, 07:16 AM
Do note what Crawford said soon after in the comment chain.

link (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/881199938180272128)
I was talking about movement on your turn.

Unoriginal
2018-03-30, 07:18 AM
Yeah, maybe. For me it's not.

JC answer to this question was Yes.

After making the prepared action means, after you took your reaction to do the prepared action.

And if JC answer is YES, then it means you can move after your readied action (after you took your reaction, as part of the reaction).

Otherwise the question should have been: "So, after preparing my action, can i still move if i didnt before?". Am i wrong? As i said, it's pretty possible i get the wording wrong.

OR:

JC assumed the person meant "after taking the Ready action, can you still move if you didn't before?"

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-30, 07:20 AM
It might help to remember that a turn is an abstraction of what is happening in that six-second period. There's really no difference between saying, "I move, then Ready an Action," and, "I Ready an Action and then move".

Certainly, there are times where it will matter what order things go in, such as, "I move 15 feet and attack the Orc, and then move 15 feet back," rather than "I attack an Orc that's 15 feet away, and then move 30 feet." But those cases are likely rare where someone would try to do that.

mephnick
2018-03-30, 07:42 AM
It literally says take an action or move in response to a trigger. You don't get to do both.

Tubben
2018-03-30, 07:59 AM

link (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/881199938180272128)

Haha, that helped :)

I did not continue to read after JC's "yes".

The next tweet could have been mine :)

Thanks.

Matrix_Walker
2018-03-30, 08:41 PM
This happens all the time. You often have to read back and ahead in the discussions to get the whole story.

opaopajr
2018-03-30, 10:05 PM
It literally says take an action or move in response to a trigger. You don't get to do both.

This.

You have several things on Your Turn during a round (including move up to your Speed), but only one Reaction which may be used on Anyone's Turn in a round. Basically assume the Ready uses your Action to load one of the functions available in the Combat Chapter into your Reaction, including Dash (move up to your Speed) or Use an Object/Help (one interact with environment).

The only exception would be Improvise an Action loaded into the Reaction with a trigger, and that's wholly GM judgment dependent. And given Attack to be pretty strong, and Dash quite solid, I am disinclined to be as generous, personally. :smallsmile:

AvvyR
2018-03-31, 01:22 AM

Exactly this. The intent of the comment was to indicate that readying an action just uses your action (and later your reaction), it doesn't automatically end your turn. So, you can still continue to move if you have movement left, or potentially interact/use a bonus action/etc. before actually ending your turn.

lperkins2
2018-03-31, 03:38 AM
So, I think the answer is probably yes, but only in specific circumstances. The method that first came to mind is the Charger feat, but it requires using a bonus action to attack, so it's out. Basically you need an action that lets you both move and attack, which I seem to remember there being, possibly in UA, but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head.

Chugger
2018-03-31, 04:49 AM
Haha, that helped :)

I did not continue to read after JC's "yes".

The next tweet could have been mine :)

Thanks.

Please don't feel bad at all! Your English seems good to me, first - glad you have learned it. I speak English and Spanish - English is my native language - and I struggle to understand Spanish all the time.

This game is very complex and has lots of tricky or subtle areas. Also I don't think the rules are written particularly well - I struggle to understand them all the time, and I grew up speaking English. Where they are crystal clear is where they included an example of how the rule works - but very very few parts of the PHB get that kind of "complete" treatment. Many of the rules are very terse and unclear, until you play the game a while and just "get" them. Even then, we disagree on certain ones all the time.