PDA

View Full Version : Most unusual race/classs combo

Whit
2018-03-30, 09:25 AM
let me first start by saying we don’t use Volo

I don’t care for generic combos like dwarf fighter or cleric , elf wizard. Mini max Etc. I like to mix it up to add more individuality and character to the characters I play.

My example character I played is Below.

My mountain dwarf sorcerer was a miner who struck a wild mana source that exploded killing the dwarfs in the mountain and bathing him in wild magic powers. His guilt in the destruction made him shave his head and beard during his adventures which tragically ended at lvl 8.

I was thinking a halfling barbarian or halfling warlock to a hill dwarf Druid.

Any other good combos

banthafett
2018-03-30, 10:01 AM
Any other good combos

It depends on what you mean by "good." Do you simply mean uncommon combinations, or do you mean uncommon combinations with interesting synergies/build options? Your example of Hill Dwarf druid seems like a combination that is unusual for fluff reasons, but is actually perfectly fine mechanically. Halfling Barbarian on the other hand doesn't seem to have a lot to recommend it beyond just being unusual.

Nifft
2018-03-30, 10:25 AM
I don’t care for generic combos like dwarf fighter or cleric , elf wizard. Mini max Etc. I like to mix it up to add more individuality and character to the characters I play.

The Dwarf is a mechanically strong race, and it's one of the most commonly played races. You will not make an unusual character by starting with one of the most usual races.

Secondly -- playing deliberately against type is not necessarily "adding more individuality", since that's another very common thing to do. It's so common that the entire Drow race are now Chaotic Good outcasts from their evil society. Yes, all of them are outcasts from their evil society.

IMHO the best way to play a more distinct character is to play an individual, not a race-class combo. So first you come up with a concept (e.g.: "expert chef seeking monster meat & rare herbs, badly burned as a child so dislikes fire, still somewhat sensitive about appearance, enjoys more subtle liquor & music that doesn't distract from the meal, etc.") and then you pick a race & class that help support your concept. Or roll randomly for race after you pick your core concept.

Magic Myrmidon
2018-03-30, 10:58 AM
I've been interested in the idea of an elven barbarian twf for a while. Don't see too many elven barbarians.

jollydm
2018-03-30, 11:02 AM
I think it'd be interesting to play a half-orc wizard.

Naanomi
2018-03-30, 11:09 AM
In one game we had a Tiefling ranger who was ‘exploring the prime’; modeled off of Steve Irwin/Crocodile Dundee... always talking about dangerous ‘animals’ of the Prime.

“Oh, what we have here is a Torillian Northern Sahuagin. Note the bright coloration on the throat sac, unique to this Prime. He appears to be at rest now, but let’s see if we can rile him up a bit!”

PhoenixPhyre
2018-03-30, 11:12 AM
As far as just "that's odd"--I have a player playing a Tiefling Druid. A tiefling moon druid with a thing for dragons.

Rfkannen
2018-03-30, 11:15 AM
Hmm strangest race/class combos for the base phb races.

Dragonborn are flashy, they breathe the elements, they are huge, so I would say theif rogue is the weirdest one for them as it goes against what they normally do. If I was to make this work I would be a black Dragonborn, and go full swamp assassin, would be neat.

Dwarves are hardy, strong, hard-working, related to the earth and to metal. Druid is tempting, but with the innate connection to the mountain, I see dwarf druids as something that would be pretty common. I would say sorccerer is the most unusual, just because it is the class that both have no real hardness to them, and is not the result of hard work. If I was to make it work I would make the dwarf a descendant of the old dwarven lords and views her power as a duty to support the dwarven people.

Elves are hard because a lot of the time elves are supposed to be better than humans at everything, better archers, better warriors, better mages, better connection to nature. I would say that the most unusual elf would be a fiend warlock, just because you don't often see elves tied to fiends (who aren't drow). I would make it work with an elf whose forest is under attack, and has needed to turn to darker forces to fight back.

oath of conquest gnome. I mean come on, gnomes are hidden folk, they aren't good at armor, they are small, not normally big melee fighters. I would make a rock gnome who worships the plane of mechanus and really believes in the rule of law.

The whole thing about half-elves is that they vary a lot. I guess barbarian, but I wouldn't consider a half-elf barbarian weird.

Halflings are sneaky, small, strong familial bonds. I would say that the weirdest halfling would be a high society nonsneaky loud and proud type who is absolutely not a team player. So you know what, I am going to say evocation wizard. Of course evocation wizard can work plenty of ways, any halfling could go to a local mage college, but still, out of all of them, I would say that played straight it would be the weirdest. WOuldn't say barbarian because dinosaurs and cannibals.

Halforcs wizard, I mean come on. I would play it as a communal leader who digs into the ancient books of longer forgotten orc battlemages and uses it to be the orc's spiritual leader.

Tieflings are devilish, so cleric is the obvious one.

tieren
2018-03-30, 11:25 AM
My favorite character was a forest gnome oath of the Ancients paladin. Theme was to stack racial adv on mental saves vs. magic and the class magic resistance aura. Mechanically with standard point buy it's impossible to max charisma and strength on a forest gnome, so not optimal, but it was tons of fun riding into battle in heavy armor on a dog.

2D8HP
2018-03-30, 11:31 AM
I've been interested in the idea of an elven barbarian twf for a while. Don't see too many elven barbarians.

I've played an Urchin background first level Wood Elf Barbarian, then got a level in Fighter, and then a level in Rogue, the game ended before my PC could get to 4th level, but I remember the PC was fun.

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-30, 11:36 AM
Gnomish Barbarian. Sure, your stats don't line up great if you're doing point buy or standard array, but man it can work out great from both a mechanical and role-playing standpoint. Plus, either Proficiency or Advantage on pretty much every saving throw.

Arkhios
2018-03-30, 11:46 AM
I was going to say Halfling Barbarian, but I realized that actually it's not so unusual or unconventional, because (both) Dex (and Con, in the case of Stout) works perfectly towards Unarmored Defense.

TheCleverGuy
2018-03-30, 11:51 AM
I was thinking I'd like to make a dual-wielding Halfling Champion Fighter. He'd use the Gladiator background, and fight with two scimitars. I'm sure it's been done before, but I like the idea of this famous, feared pit fighter being a little jovial Halfling.

I'd also like to make a Forest Gnome Moon Druid. I just imagine David the Gnome suddenly turning into a bear and mauling some dudes.

Kyrinthic
2018-03-30, 12:04 PM
I played a gnome barbarian for a while that would reckless just so she wouldn't have disadvantage swinging the axe that was bigger than her around. Not entirely mechanically effective, but entirely playable. Tons of fun to play either way.

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-30, 12:48 PM
Too bad that you're not using Volo's. A Kenku Paladin would be fun to roleplay.

NecroDancer
2018-03-30, 12:58 PM
Ever since 3.5 I've been playing a half-orc wizard (because sometimes you want to use your tusks as arcane foci).

Heck, right now I'm playing a Orc glamor bard who dream wants to become "the most metal of the fey". He uses illusions to create frightening special effects and inspires his party with power cords.

KOLE
2018-03-30, 02:14 PM
+1 on Elven babarian. My current PC is a half elf barb at level 3. You can keep dex as your primary asset, only take three to five levels, and put the rest in rogue for a fun multiclass that grants you at will advantage for free sneak attack and usually a damb AC, not too mention resistance to everything but psychic.

Even without the multiclass, Elven Barbarian has been a hoot. Rage granting advantage on all strength checks has lead to hilarious moments of my 5’ 5” little elf girl consistently outlifting our paladin and orc fighter, including breaking down a door they had already botched the roll on in one hit.

CTurbo
2018-03-30, 07:11 PM
I have played a Stout Halfling Barbarian and it was a great character with a very high AC. Gave him the Mobile feat and he was a ton of fun. Also played a Halfling Vengeance Paladin that was also a great character. I like the Halfling race and their racial stats make them prime candidates for almost any class.

I like Goliaths too and have played a Goliath Tempest Cleric, and I've seen a Goliath Sorcerer and Goliath Monk.

Other weird combos I've seen was LG Tielfling Cleric, Rock Gnome Ranger, and Minotaur Wizard

smcmike
2018-03-30, 07:32 PM
The weirdest and least flexible race in the PHB is Tiefling. Dragonborn gets second place.

Any race that gives you a bonus to dexterity or constitution is at least a little bit useful for every class. Almost every race does - only the two mentioned above get left out. Dragonborn gets strength, though, which works well for a lot of builds. Tiefling has to play a charisma class, or a wizard, or get NO USEFUL STATS.

If I had to pick one, I’d probably say that a tiefling Monk is the weirdest choice. It’s the most stat-dependent class, and gets no help from the race. Painful.

AvvyR
2018-03-31, 01:32 AM
In a campaign I've been playing the last year or so, all the PCs are half-siblings, and half-races. Because of this, most of the characters aren't necessarily playing to race stereotypes. Such as the Half-Elf Druid (Druids want CHA, right?), Genasi Sorcerer (Sorcerers DON'T want CHA, right?), and Tiefling Cleric.

All of these combos are, of course, still viable, as most things in 5e are. But, I think this is a good example of creating combos due to an interesting dynamic, rather than choosing the "ideal" race and class combo.

Protato
2018-03-31, 02:23 AM
Warforged Sorcerer, manufactured to be a living weapon but the experiment to create him went wrong and he instead destroyed the lab. Now, he's woken up, and doesn't know of his origins. Honestly I don't think its too original, but it could be interesting anyway.

Arkhios
2018-03-31, 05:02 AM
Warforged Sorcerer, manufactured to be a living weapon but the experiment to create him went wrong and he instead destroyed the lab. Now, he's woken up, and doesn't know of his origins. Honestly I don't think its too original, but it could be interesting anyway.

Even more strange would be a Warforged Draconic Sorcerer. I mean, how would that have happened? Clearly it can't be due to a heritage, since Warforged are created, not born.

Spore
2018-03-31, 06:19 AM
You can either go for a class/race combo that does the polar opposite of tropes: e.g. Orc Wizard. Elf Barbarian. Halfling Assassin ('member Baldur's Gate's Montaron? I 'member.)

Or you go for something so exotic that most roleplaying system don't even offer the race and/or class. Like a Sahuagin Mystic. Or a Kitsune Artificer.

But my favorites are always the players that use the classes to build something not intended from the basic mechanical standpoint. 20 years ago, it was the gish, the arcane melee character. 10 years ago, it is emulating a monk with swordsages. Nowadays it is things like tanking wizards (Dwarven Abjurers in medium armor), ultimate healers (Pathfinder's Oradin, 5e's Druid/Life Clerics) or perpetuum mobile Blasters. (Warlock/Sorcerers) or Dual Lance Wielders.

Even more strange would be a Warforged Draconic Sorcerer. I mean, how would that have happened? Clearly it can't be due to a heritage, since Warforged are created, not born.

Eberron literally has parts of the world dragons lying around, radiating arcane energy. It's simple really. Though it would certainly be a prototype.

Also played one of these in a drow oneshot. The group's cleric magic jarred me and then the group's eldritch knight put my soul into a warforged creation engine. Though it was Pathfinder - so magus and abyssal sorcerer - and the character would certainly be a Chain or Grimoire Pact Fiend Warlock in 5e.

The most outlandish thing I saw was a Dhampir Paladin. But that has a certain edge potential :smallamused:

Quoxis
2018-03-31, 07:05 AM
Built a halfling barbarian/beastmaster ranger raised by orcs once. The main gag would‘ve been him riding his companion boar into battle and asap taking the feat that lets you mitigate damage to your mount („nobody touches my friend porky here!“). Not necessarily optimized, but when i hear halfling i‘m thinking bilbo the couch potato, not rambo the jungle warrior.

Also had the idea to build a duergar light cleric - he fears the light, so he’ll make others fear him by using its power, though the disparity is less between race and class but subrace mechanics and subclass flavor.

JackPhoenix
2018-03-31, 07:26 AM
High Elf thf vengeance paladin was the strangest I've seen. Not that bad from fluff perspective, but there's absolutely zero synergy between the race and the intended class and playstyle. Making non-dex based high elf life cleric was also a pain.

BillyBobShorton
2018-03-31, 07:50 AM
According to some poll recentlyn Aasimar Druid is the most uncommon combo. Funny, because when I'm not DMing, w/o seeing the/caring about the poll, I made that exact character (1 lvl dip in life cleric) and frankly, it's totally amazing(protector subrace). Using fly w/o concentration to keep up spells like moonbeam, shield of faith, or the new XG healing pool (spiritual something or other) has been awesome. Fantastic combo, although apparently not used very often...

Arkhios
2018-03-31, 09:22 AM
According to some poll recentlyn Aasimar Druid is the most uncommon combo. Funny, because when I'm not DMing, w/o seeing the/caring about the poll, I made that exact character (1 lvl dip in life cleric) and frankly, it's totally amazing(protector subrace). Using fly w/o concentration to keep up spells like moonbeam, shield of faith, or the new XG healing pool (spiritual something or other) has been awesome. Fantastic combo, although apparently not used very often...

That's certainly odd. One of my favorite characters in Pathfinder is an Aasimar Druid and I have multiple times made a conversion to 5th edition that would be far from unplayable. Even without a cleric dip. I've just not had the chance to play it yet.

quark12000
2018-03-31, 09:47 AM
Half-orc Bard?

Quoxis
2018-03-31, 09:57 AM

Bonus points for being a wildshaped angel-tyrannosaur flying with human-sized wings of light doing radiant damage with his divine bite.

ZorroGames
2018-03-31, 10:06 AM
Outrageous statement warning: Counter stereotype is just a stereoisomer of the usual stereotypes. Bolded type not to be taken as ultra serious and filled with gravitas. :smallwink:

I see the attraction (heck, I love Mountain Dwarf every class,) but I think making the character you want to play is guideline (not rule) 0 for enjoyable play. For some that is ultimate optimizing for rollplay (that is not a putdown,) for others it is role play and for others it is exploring the corners of the character creation game element.

ChaoticHarmony
2018-03-31, 11:49 AM
I haven't gotten to the chance to actually play him, but I thought of a Oread Stormborn Sorceror. He was Wildblooded and had the Ferrous Growth Alternate Racial trait. My intention was to make a weather wizard who could hold his own in melee, at least long enough to get to a better position

Corneel
2018-03-31, 01:33 PM
Half-orc Bard?
Is he adventuring with a Human Pirate, a Tiefling Sorcerer that contracted with Cthulhu, a Wood Elf Druid and a Dragonborn Paladin?
And inclined to sing songs by the Venga Boys?

quark12000
2018-03-31, 01:45 PM
Is he adventuring with a Human Pirate, a Tiefling Sorcerer that contracted with Cthulhu, a Wood Elf Druid and a Dragonborn Paladin?
And inclined to sing songs by the Venga Boys?

Huh? Don't get it.

Corneel
2018-03-31, 01:50 PM
Huh? Don't get it.

I thought you might be referring to this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoid6oOAGqMcZ3YWFqABFXbx9l5edm6XK
ETA: the Dragonborn Paladin is not there during the first adventure.

Blurb:

dice, danger and dubious spells! The crew of Outside Xbox and Outside Xtra enter the imagination-fuelled world of Dungeons & Dragons!

Jane is Prudence, a Tiefling Warlock with the hots for Cthulhu; Luke is Dob, a half-OrcBard armed with the soothing lullabies of the Venga Boys, Ellen is Merilwen, a Wood Elf Druid with an affinity for nature and chatting with animals, while Andy is dread pirate Corazón de León, a Human Rogue who has always been a fearsome pirate, why wouldn’t he have been, there's no secret backstory here, stop asking.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-31, 03:25 PM
A Tortle Bard.

Kuulvheysoon
2018-03-31, 03:45 PM
I thought you might be referring to this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoid6oOAGqMcZ3YWFqABFXbx9l5edm6XK

Blurb:

Only if the swashbuckling human breaks out and starts rapping "Wild Wild West".

quark12000
2018-03-31, 06:29 PM

Blurb:

Nope, never seen that before.

Spore
2018-04-01, 05:37 AM
As this thread includes things we have not yet seen and horribly suboptimal stuff. I played a Tiefling Monk (without level buyoff) in 3.5. I was on par with the guys that didn't know anything of D&D though so that was a plus.

I have never seen a reasonably clothed and mostly silent (female) cleric of Lolth. None that is far from a dominatrix if a reference like that is allowed in our forums. Similarly I rarely see a male drow cleric (of any faith).

Unoriginal
2018-04-01, 05:46 AM
I have never seen a reasonably clothed and mostly silent (female) cleric of Lolth.

Do NPCs count? If yes, check out the adventure module "Out of the Abyss".

Might not fit what OP said, but I've never seen a Kobold Cleric.

Anonymouswizard
2018-04-01, 06:11 AM
Secondly -- playing deliberately against type is not necessarily "adding more individuality", since that's another very common thing to do. It's so common that the entire Drow race are now Chaotic Good outcasts from their evil society. Yes, all of them are outcasts from their evil society.

This. You can still hit upon rare 'antitypes', my lawful neutral Paladin is very strange for a Gnome, but even then it's better if it comes from the character concept and possibly needing to round out the party a tad.

In my case I'm playing a gnome noble police officer with doggo. The dog is actually a consequence of going Paladin, originally I was going for the different class but the party needed healing and good tankage. There's other bits and pieces in my character, like being a foreigner (I'm planning on the worst French accent I can muster), being transgender, and still being in their race's version of late teens, but once I had the ex-police angle and knew we needed a tank Paladin fell into place naturally (Gnome came later, and was just because I like Gnomes).

RedMage125
2018-04-02, 08:17 AM
Let me start by saying I am extremely tickled by the tiefling Steve Irwin.

I don't find the idea of dwarf druids that odd. One of the clans in my campaign world, Gordrivver, is known for producing druids, or "earthspeakers" (which in 4e would be druids, shamans, and some wardens). They are often used to scout new caves/tunnels, help find ore/gem deposits, and also to ensure caves are stable. They value working WITH the earth and stones and consider the rocks themselves to be spiritually aware.

For my part, I'm working on a Kobold Paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?553776-Kobold-Paladin-Ideas) of Bahamut right now. As silly as it sounds, I intend to play it straight. He's going to be humorous anyway, but he will be sincere, and not a clown. Feel free to follow the link, it's an active thread, and I'm still looking for more advice and input on the build.

I think a Triton dragon sorc with a fire affinity would be different.

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-02, 09:22 AM
Let me start by saying I am extremely tickled by the tiefling Steve Irwin.

I don't find the idea of dwarf druids that odd. One of the clans in my campaign world, Gordrivver, is known for producing druids, or "earthspeakers" (which in 4e would be druids, shamans, and some wardens). They are often used to scout new caves/tunnels, help find ore/gem deposits, and also to ensure caves are stable. They value working WITH the earth and stones and consider the rocks themselves to be spiritually aware.

Well, I think the idea of Dwarves being Druids as an odd one goes way back. Originally, there were race/class combos that you just couldn't even make. If you wanted to play a Druid, you couldn't be a Dwarf at all. Also, Druids tended to be more interested in trees and plants back in the day, and only somewhat related to earth and stone. But that has changed over time as well. So nowadays it makes a lot more sense, and Dwarves actually make great Druids mechanically speaking, but there's a long history of fluff that makes it seem odd at first.

Desteplo
2018-04-02, 09:27 AM
My favorite character was a forest gnome oath of the Ancients paladin. Theme was to stack racial adv on mental saves vs. magic and the class magic resistance aura. Mechanically with standard point buy it's impossible to max charisma and strength on a forest gnome, so not optimal, but it was tons of fun riding into battle in heavy armor on a dog.

15str
9 dex
14con
10int
10wis
15cha

Lvl4 take +1 str/cha
The rest add +2 twice to cha and str
Feats are overrated

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-04-02, 10:33 AM
Well, I think the idea of Dwarves being Druids as an odd one goes way back. Originally, there were race/class combos that you just couldn't even make. If you wanted to play a Druid, you couldn't be a Dwarf at all. Also, Druids tended to be more interested in trees and plants back in the day, and only somewhat related to earth and stone. But that has changed over time as well. So nowadays it makes a lot more sense, and Dwarves actually make great Druids mechanically speaking, but there's a long history of fluff that makes it seem odd at first.

On both sides. Druids are about nature, which is more than just trees and flowers and animals with fur. No reason not to have sea elf druids, dwarven druids whose circle meets in a beautiful chamber in a cavern, druids patrolling between the oases in a vast desert... whatever. There's a lot of scope beyond "elf druid with a wolf friend who has a favorite hornbeam".

And that goes for rangers too, though the idea of favored environments is a welcome step away from the leafy-stab-panther combo of editions past.

poolio
2018-04-03, 07:54 PM
I think it'd be interesting to play a half-orc wizard.

I did that once, well actually he was a barbarian who thought he was a wizard, throwing rocks while yelling magic missle was funnier for far longer then i anticipated

Discord
2018-04-03, 09:13 PM
Do NPCs count? If yes, check out the adventure module "Out of the Abyss".

Might not fit what OP said, but I've never seen a Kobold Cleric.

I had a really good idea for a Forge Cleric Kobold. I was going to make him a 'trap master' and with his channel divinity he could conjure up up to 100GP traps as much as he needed, it just sounded fun.

XIX
2018-04-03, 11:35 PM
Firbolg 1level fighter, the rest warcaster wizard, level 4 polearm master, defensive fighting style from warrior, full plate high strength wizard coming at you with s 10 foot reach and a reaction to hit folks coming into his reach.

Arkhios
2018-04-04, 01:25 AM
Firbolg 1level fighter, the rest warcaster wizard, level 4 polearm master, defensive fighting style from warrior, full plate high strength wizard coming at you with s 10 foot reach and a reaction to hit folks coming into his reach.

Add Spell Sniper and War Caster later into the build, and that wizard snaps at approachers with Booming Blade or Green-Flame Blade (although Booming Blade is better for that).

Asmotherion
2018-04-04, 01:37 AM
-A Winged Tiefling Divine Soul Sorcerer/Paladin who is championing Pelor. He hated being called a Demon, and hates demons with a passion for twising his bloodline and family name into Fiends. He wished for the Light, and the Light answeared him. He has fought his own Darkness, but how easy will it be to convince those around him that someone with the appearance and wings of a Demon is indeed a Saint?

-A Gold Dragoninc origin Sorcerer Red Dragonborn. They say there are no rules in love and war. But what happens when the two mix together? What part of the young Dragonfolk will prevail? The Kind and Disiplined Nature of his Gold Parentage, or his Petty and Chaotic Red side? The mixture of two world and two natures in one individual with the power to bend Fire to his will.

-Male High Elf Paladin of Lloth. They left him for dead. They abandoned him. He prayed to Corellon for long hours, but nothing happened. It was supposed to be an easy mission to rescue some people, and back home. The worst part; it was not the adventurers, from who he awaited betraial any moment, they actually returned for him. It was his own people who told them that he was dead, wile they knew full well he was still alive. As the drow high priestess was showing those pictures, directly in his mind, she was laughing. Not because of the torture, but because deep down, he knew it was the truth, and not some perverse mind tricks. She felt him the moment he made the decision, and he didn't care: He would betray his betrayers! He would slay them, in the name of his new Godess. Corellon be Damned. He would answed only to Lloth from now on, and slay his betrayers in her name.

...This more or less?

Quoxis
2018-04-04, 02:43 AM
-A Winged Tiefling Divine Soul Sorcerer/Paladin who is championing Pelor. He hated being called a Demon, and hates demons with a passion for twising his bloodline and family name into Fiends. He wished for the Light, and the Light answeared him. He has fought his own Darkness, but how easy will it be to convince those around him that someone with the appearance and wings of a Demon is indeed a Saint?

Had a similar idea for a (feral) Tiefling ranger - hates to be called a demon, but figured at one point that this xenophobia stems from ignorance, therefore he travels the world hunting, studying and cataloguing real demons (guess what his „favored enemy“ is...) as well as teaching commoners and spreading his studies among scholars.

-A Gold Dragoninc origin Sorcerer Red Dragonborn. They say there are no rules in love and war. But what happens when the two mix together? What part of the young Dragonfolk will prevail? The Kind and Disiplined Nature of his Gold Parentage, or his Petty and Chaotic Red side? The mixture of two world and two natures in one individual with the power to bend Fire to his will.

Had a black dragonborn kill a young gold dragon and, out of spite over them being oh-so-perfect with their wings and magical potential etc. eat its corpse. The next day he felt feverish and saw his black scales have a new, golden shine to them. He figured that eating the dragon must have given him its power, and so now he’s searching for other dragons to slay and devour, wishing to finally become a full dragon himself.

PandaPhobia
2018-04-04, 04:48 PM
let me first start by saying we don’t use Volo

My example character I played is Below.

My mountain dwarf sorcerer was a miner who struck a wild mana source that exploded killing the dwarfs in the mountain and bathing him in wild magic powers. His guilt in the destruction made him shave his head and beard during his adventures which tragically ended at lvl 8.

I was thinking a halfling barbarian or halfling warlock to a hill dwarf Druid.

Any other good combos

Dragonborn Thief

TeiflingDM
2018-04-04, 05:03 PM
My current character is Morthos, a Good Aligned Teifling War Cleric of Torm. He was born to a peasant family, after his long dead grandfather made a deal with some evil forces long ago, cursing his family line. His family hated Morthos for what he was, and the townspeople seemed afraid of him, treating him with a kind of silent disregard. The only one in town to accept him was an old alchemist, who trained and employed him at his shop.

One day, his village was attacked by bandits, and Morthos alone stood up to fight them off, while the rest of the village attempted to escape. He fought hard, but fell to the bandits leader before being brought back by Torm. For showing how Courageous he was in battle, and his dedication to Justice, Torm granted him the power to fight off the bandits, and save his village. Since then, he has been a devout Cleric, vowing to rid the land of corruption and evil.

DracoKnight
2018-04-04, 05:14 PM
I mean, I’ve personally played a few Dragonborn Monks, which aren’t statistically optimized (due to +2 STR and +1 CHA), but hell are they fun from a thematic standpoint. I’m currently playing a Silver Dragonborn Kensei in a game run by Submortimer, and the character is proving to be a lot of fun! I’m going to be able to play up the honorable side of Dragonborn, and get into his internal struggle between his chaotic nature (that’s born of tragedy) and his lawfully-skewed, disciplined, monastic training.

KorvinStarmast
2018-04-04, 05:18 PM
Kenku Barbarian, aka, Angry Bird.

MaxWilson
2018-04-04, 05:22 PM
As a DM, I could honestly give 5-6 recharge to the dragonborn breath weapon with zero qualms. It doesn't need to be 1/short rest.