PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making a Bone Creature Frost Giant Cleric Villain

creakyaccordion
2018-03-30, 11:26 AM
Hey y'all! As the name of the thread states, I'm trying to make a Frost Giant Cleric with the Bone Creature template from BOVD for the main villain of a campaign, and I can't seem to figure out what the Frost Giant's base stat mods are, since the 14 Wisdom for the one using the nonelite array in the Monster Manual conflicts with Savage Species saying they don't have a bonus to Wisdom (I know Savage Species shouldn't be 100% trusted but I thought it would serve as a good jumping off point). If someone could help me figure out their stat mods it'd be much appreciated, and if you have any other input on it other than stats I'd love to hear that too c:

daremetoidareyo
2018-03-30, 11:48 AM
Hey y'all! As the name of the thread states, I'm trying to make a Frost Giant Cleric with the Bone Creature template from BOVD for the main villain of a campaign, and I can't seem to figure out what the Frost Giant's base stat mods are, since the 14 Wisdom for the one using the nonelite array in the Monster Manual conflicts with Savage Species saying they don't have a bonus to Wisdom (I know Savage Species shouldn't be 100% trusted but I thought it would serve as a good jumping off point). If someone could help me figure out their stat mods it'd be much appreciated, and if you have any other input on it other than stats I'd love to hear that too c:
Subtract 10 from even ability scores and subtract 11 from odd, and you get the base ability score modifiers. Then you can apply your Elite array and just to add those modifiers on top

Uncle Pine
2018-03-30, 12:00 PM
Frost giants have racial modifiers of +18 Str (29-11), -2 Dex (9-11), +10 Con (21-11), +0 Int (10-10), +4 Wis (14-10), +0 Cha (11-11).

And here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#abilityScoreArrays) is the relevant ruling (from the SRD, also in the Monster Manual):

Ability Score Arrays
Monsters are assumed to have completely average (or standard) ability scores—a 10 or an 11 in each ability, as modified by their racial bonuses. However, improved monsters are individuals and often have better than normal ability scores, and usually make use of either the elite array or the nonelite array of ability scores. Monsters who improve by adding a template, and monsters who improve by increasing their Hit Dice, may use any of the three arrays (standard, nonelite, or elite). Any monster unique enough to be improved could easily be considered elite.

Thurbane
2018-04-03, 05:01 PM
Is Bone Creature for thematic reasons? Tossing out a +10 Con mod kind of hurts...