PDA

View Full Version : DM Help SYNAPTIC STATIC; How to handle the 'muddled' portion of the Spell?

Edgerunner
2018-03-30, 12:15 PM
You choose a point within range and cause psychic energy to explode there. Each creature within a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make an Intelligence saving throw. A creature with an Intelligence score of 2 or lower can't be affected by this spell. A target takes 8d6 psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

After a failed save, a target has muddled thoughts for 1 minute. During that time, it rolls a d6 and subtracts the number from all its attacks and ability checks, as well as its Constitution saving throws to maintain concentration. The target can make an Intelligence saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

How as a DM do I create a muddled thoughts condition?
Is it a Condition like Confusion?
Is it just Disadvantage?
Would the effected creature be able to continue Attacking?

This one has got me stumped.

JNAProductions
2018-03-30, 12:17 PM
It pretty clearly spells out what Muddled Thoughts does. I'd treat it like a condition.

As for what it does...

During that time, it rolls a d6 and subtracts the number from all its attacks and ability checks, as well as its Constitution saving throws to maintain concentration.

Exactly that, and nothing more. You can still attack, focusing on your enemies and not at all attacking your friends.

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-30, 12:18 PM
You don't need to do anything. The "muddled" condition is handled by the rest of the spell description: "During that time, it rolls a d6 and subtracts the number from all its attacks and ability checks, as well as its Constitution saving throws to maintain concentration."

That's all it does. The "muddled" is just fluff description, and the rest is how it plays out mechanically.

Davrix
2018-03-30, 01:34 PM
The spell states exactly what it does.

That being said if you want to role-play it up a little you could say creatures have a hard time keeping track of their thoughts or giving coherent orders.

Lets say a player did this on a enemy commander. If he failed the save I would probably be making int rolls on how well he commands his troops. But that's really me instead of the spell mechanic.

urandom
2018-03-30, 01:52 PM
[I]
During that time, it rolls a d6 and subtracts the number from all its attacks and ability checks, as well as its Constitution saving throws to maintain concentration..

It describes what muddled thoughts means right in the spell. As a DM you can certainly fluff their behavior changing if you want, but the mechanical benefits are laid out.

EDIT: Well didn't mean to pile on. Didn't notice I hadn't refreshed tab recently.