PDA

View Full Version : Help with a magic item

Coec
2018-03-30, 12:25 PM
I have this idea of making a ring of nondetection. I'm a halfling rogue and would like to keep casters (namely the untrusting cleric in my group) from finding out via detect magic that I have magical items on me beyond what we found and distributed. Basically I need the DM permission but I always find it easier when I have most of not all the bugs worked out. This way he can approve or deny the idea while getting a good understanding of a balanced magic item. Any help stating this out is greatly appreciated.

Ventruenox
2018-03-30, 12:39 PM
What's wrong with casting (or having someone else cast) Nystul's Magic Aura on the items you want to conceal everyday for a month? It is certainly something an Arcane Trickster of sufficiently high level can accomplish. If you need an item to do it, give charges for that spell.

SirGraystone
2018-03-30, 01:12 PM
Most ring are rare or very rare, so to start, depending how rare the item is according to your DM, crafting such a ring will cost between 5,000 gp and 50,000 gp and takes between 200 and 2,000 days to craft and need a level 6 caster (or 11th if very rare).

That seem a lot just to fools the cleric.

Coec
2018-03-30, 01:16 PM
What's wrong with casting (or having someone else cast) Nystul's Magic Aura on the items you want to conceal everyday for a month? It is certainly something an Arcane Trickster of sufficiently high level can accomplish. If you need an item to do it, give charges for that spell.

I'm an assassin 4, hexblade 1. So arcane trickster is not an option right now, otherwise that's a great suggestion.

Coec
2018-03-30, 01:23 PM
Most ring are rare or very rare, so to start, depending how rare the item is according to your DM, crafting such a ring will cost between 5,000 gp and 50,000 gp and takes between 200 and 2,000 days to craft and need a level 6 caster (or 11th if very rare).

That seem a lot just to fools the cleric.

It's a 3rd level spell to cart nondetection, so I thought that would be an uncommon Ngoc item at the very least. And I normally wouldn't bother but when the cleric in the group casts detect magic just to make sure everyone is who they say they are as well as keep tabs on the flow of magic items within the party; makes we want to mess with him.

And it strikes me as odd that he is so paranoid about the rogue stealing from the group, which i have never done nor have i ever given him a reason to think i would.

Ventruenox
2018-03-30, 01:29 PM
Here's another one that you can possibly accomplish with your current build, with some assumptions to expertise and spell choices: Lie.

Just lie to the Cleric about what you have or don't. Doesn't even have to be a good lie. We are talking Monty Python Black Knight levels of denial. If you have Expertise in Deception, Hex the Cleric's Wisdom and do a contested roll. In a good RP group, that should work. You are a bloody Rogue! Get creative!

Coec
2018-03-30, 02:06 PM
Here's another one that you can possibly accomplish with your current build, with some assumptions to expertise and spell choices: Lie.

Just lie to the Cleric about what you have or don't. Doesn't even have to be a good lie. We are talking Monty Python Black Knight levels of denial. If you have Expertise in Deception, Hex the Cleric's Wisdom and do a contested roll. In a good RP group, that should work. You are a bloody Rogue! Get creative!

I can lie no issues with that though I try to avoid lying to the party members. The problem I have is that detect magic shows a glowing aura around the magic items in a 30' radius and I'm trying to remove that from the equation.

SirGraystone
2018-03-30, 02:17 PM
Invisibility is a level 2 spell and the ring of invisibility is Legendary. So a ring that hide from all divination and scrying magic would be at least rare.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-30, 03:06 PM
Wand of Nondetection
Wand, rare (required attunement by a spellcaster)
This wand has 7 charges, While holding it you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast the nondetection spell (save DC 15) from it. For 1 charge you cast the spell once at 3rd-level.
The wand regains 1d6+1 expended charges daily at dawn.

Balance ripped from Wand of Fireballs (DMG pg.210). Becuase Nondetection cannot be upcast I removed the chance of failure upon depleting it, as a way to balance them to roughly the same rarity.

Coec
2018-03-30, 04:24 PM
Wand of Nondetection
Wand, rare (required attunement by a spellcaster)
This wand has 7 charges, While holding it you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast the nondetection spell (save DC 15) from it. For 1 charge you cast the spell once at 3rd-level.
The wand regains 1d6+1 expended charges daily at dawn.

Balance ripped from Wand of Fireballs (DMG pg.210). Becuase Nondetection cannot be upcast I removed the chance of failure upon depleting it, as a way to balance them to roughly the same rarity.

I like this idea, thank you.

JackPhoenix
2018-03-30, 08:42 PM
Where did you get the item, if it's not stolen from the group? And why is it such a problem you have it, if it's not stolen? Just admit you have it and explain how you got it, problem solved.

Otherwise, Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location is uncommon item that protects you against all divination magic. Lead-linen box can do the same thing without magic.

Note that lack of any response to divination magic (whether from Nondetection, or the amulet) may be even more suspicious, though.