PDA

View Full Version : Madness Domain Question

Skullruss
2018-03-30, 01:18 PM
The character gains an Insanity score equal to half his or her class level. For spellcasting (determining bonus spells and DCs), the character uses his or her Wisdom score plus his or her Insanity score in place of Wisdom alone.

I want to know what exactly this means, sanity score starts as wisdom score times 5, so that seems broken if it's sanity score, but it's INSANITY score, there are no rules on that in the srd. Can someone please explain this, and also:

"For all other purposes, such as skills and saves, use Wisdom minus Insanity in place of Wisdom."

does that mean that if i'm wildly insane everything is in the pooper?

Ashtagon
2018-03-30, 01:40 PM
Insanity score as it relates to the Madness domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm) and insanity score as it relates to the variant campaign rule (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm) are too entirely different attributes, and not related.

Basically, wrt to using Wisdom to determine bonus spells and spell DCs, add half your class level to your Wisdom score to find your effective Wisdom score. For all other Wisdom-based rules, subtract half your class level. "Class level" in this case refers to whichever class(es) give(s) you access to the Madness domain.

KillianHawkeye
2018-03-30, 07:43 PM
I want to know what exactly this means, sanity score starts as wisdom score times 5, so that seems broken if it's sanity score, but it's INSANITY score, there are no rules on that in the srd.

The rules are right here:

The character gains an Insanity score equal to half his or her class level.

That's it.

Zombulian
2018-03-31, 04:25 PM
The character gains an Insanity score equal to half his or her class level. For spellcasting (determining bonus spells and DCs), the character uses his or her Wisdom score plus his or her Insanity score in place of Wisdom alone.

I want to know what exactly this means, sanity score starts as wisdom score times 5, so that seems broken if it's sanity score, but it's INSANITY score, there are no rules on that in the srd. Can someone please explain this, and also:

"For all other purposes, such as skills and saves, use Wisdom minus Insanity in place of Wisdom."

does that mean that if i'm wildly insane everything is in the pooper?

You've answered your own question. Madness domain has nothing to do with sanity score.
As an example: you character is level 10 and has a Wisdom of 15. His insanity score is 5. His effective Wisdom score for spells is thus 20. His effective Wisdom score for everything else is thus 10 (except once per day when you activate the domain ability).

Thurbane
2018-04-03, 04:43 PM
Got to say, never noticed this domain power before. Adding half your character level as a virtual Wisdom boost for spellcasting seems quite powerful.

Which book is the latest printing of the Madness Domain? If it's LoM, it changes how the domain power works, unfortunately...

Zombulian
2018-04-03, 06:04 PM
Got to say, never noticed this domain power before. Adding half your character level as a virtual Wisdom boost for spellcasting seems quite powerful.

Which book is the latest printing of the Madness Domain? If it's LoM, it changes how the domain power works, unfortunately...

Faiths of Eberron I believe.