PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Help My Party Name Our New Base!

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-03-30, 04:37 PM
My party just received a large manor with "good square footage" according to my DM. It's 5 or 6 stories, very old, and very well kept thanks to a pact that the previous owner's ancestor made with a demon. We helped him out by tricking the demon into breaking the contract and then "stealing" the manor from him so the demon had to deal with us. The demon forfeited his soul for eternity since we showed him how he accidentally broke the contract. Problem is, we have NO IDEA how to come up with a good name for it...what have you done in the past? What ideas do you have for us? Puns are appreciated but not necessary.

We'll use it for a few different businesses and as a base to store all our random crap we get like carriages and boats and stuff. Our DM likes giving us rewards like this that matter, but don't break the game (and we surprise him by taking them whenever someone is foolish enough to speak to us). A little about the party members/businesses:

Larz Burnbalm (me): An eccentric deep gnome wizard traveling the surface world with his friends to grow his clothing company, Huey Vuitton. Did I mention he is a model and fashion designer? ;) This will be his base of communication on the surface world since it's centrally located and all we have to work with at this point. I've started a few branches but I've got big dreams for expansion.

Krawgg: A kleptomaniac goliath rogue, Krawgg spends his money creating new business opportunities in the criminal underground. He has a series of under-bosses and their under-bosses, but we're giving him the crypt about half a mile away from the manor proper since we trust him but not his associates.

Laef Treeman: A naive treant paladin looking to field an army. He's one of the members responsible for the warship I mentioned earlier. We want to work on digging a cannal to the sea (about 200 miles unfortunately) so that we can house our ship at the manner. If anyone knows a creative way to get around thousands of man hours and gold for that project, let me know.

Three other party members with no proper business empires at the moment. Two of them are new players, so they're working on their personality more than anything right now. So there are six of us total.

Pelle
2018-03-30, 04:41 PM
Basy McBaseface?

smcmike
2018-03-30, 04:45 PM
Basy McBaseface?

Dang, I was gonna go with Manor McManorface.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-03-30, 04:51 PM
Love it! :smallcool:

Ventruenox
2018-03-30, 04:56 PM
Zero Wing.

Pex
2018-03-30, 05:02 PM
Pex Tower

More seriously . . .

Demon's Fall

Demon's Bane

EvilAnagram
2018-03-30, 05:12 PM
Connecticut

That way you can introduce yourself as Larz Burnbalm of the Connecticut Burnbalms.

Beleriphon
2018-03-30, 05:39 PM
When all else fails: RANDOM!
Mansion Name Generator (http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/mansion-names.php#.Wr6zwXnD-qk)

Evergreen Valley Chateau
Black Bear Residence
Poinsetta Chateau
Locust Grove Manor
Rosemary Chateau
Franklor Chateau
Woodmon Manor
Mulyer Manor
Walwin Estate
Bridgeford Residence

For more fun try naming it after the demon's name and Folly. Here's a random name list:
Trizgamoth
Korthrorid
Targiran
Thastron
Veg'dramur
Ostrozes
Ger'iun
Brargon
Ulguxan
Bregalin

I think Targiran's Folly has a nice ring to it.

Ventruenox
2018-03-30, 06:55 PM
As for your canal digging project, 5E makes large scale excavation difficult, or at least resource inefficient. A carefully worded Wish spell is your best option. Another option is to True Polymorph one of your minions into a giant Purple Worm. Dominate Monster on a critter with the Tunneling trait also works, but doesn't last long enough for what you want. Ditto for Shapechange. Move Earth, Transmute Rock, and Stone Shape don't give enough bang for their buck.

You can brute force it with a Golem work crew, or a number of Mold Earth casters if you have several years to set them at it. A generous DM might let you Chrono Trigger one into existence with time manipulation to leave a Golem in the past. If you have a morally ambiguous party, enslave some Goblins or Kobolds.

The least resource intensive option may be to use Geas on a team of Umber Hulks after casting Tongues. Good luck with that encounter.

Once you have that trench dug, you will still have a huge expense in building a series of locks. After all, why would your manor be at sea level? I would expect each one way trip through the canal to take 4-6 days. A good parallel for this undertaking would be the Erie Canal (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie_Canal) in New York.

Honest Tiefling
2018-03-30, 07:32 PM
Why are you not naming it in such a fashion as to advertise your clothing business? The rest of the party can have their own names for it, but for you, it shall be Chataeu du Vuitton. Get a signet ring with your brand logo on it, so you can seal letters with wax depicting it as well.

opaopajr
2018-03-30, 09:50 PM
Zero Wing.

It has 'all our base... are belong to us." :smallcool:

Though you could go anime and call it Maison Ikkoku.

I'd go all Mongol Khanate slash 1980s movie roller disco pleasure palace and call it Xanadu. :smalltongue:

/plays Olivia Newton John "Magic" during D&D combat

"You have to believe we are magic
Nothin' can stand in our way
You have to believe we are magic
Don't let your aim ever stray
And if all your hopes survive
Destiny will arrive
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you"

/dodges players throwing dice

Ventruenox
2018-03-30, 10:18 PM
It has 'all our base... are belong to us"

Close. "All your base are belong to us." Thanks for getting the reference. I also respect your use of UBB code.

quark12000
2018-03-30, 10:24 PM
Fawlty Towers?

Ventruenox
2018-03-30, 10:32 PM
If you go that route, you need a butler named Manuel.

Daithi
2018-03-31, 12:26 AM
I would go with--

Manor of Death

or for your wizard, maybe the Burlington Cloak Factory.

oxybe
2018-03-31, 12:51 AM
Kevin.

Call your base Kevin.

Think about it: would an army leader really want to say out loud "YEA MEN, ONWARDS TO VICTORY! FOR NOW WE STORM AND LAY SEIGE TO KEVIN!".

Perfect defense.

Legendairy
2018-03-31, 12:55 AM
You will get plenty of help with bass names, I just wanted to say A++ on the username! Probably one of my favorites thus far.

AvvyR
2018-03-31, 01:13 AM
I'd name it something in reference to the great accomplishment achieved in acquiring it. Something like "Daemon's Folley Estate"

LordNibbler
2018-03-31, 03:05 PM
Just call it “Base.”

1) if you are being chased, they have to stop when you return, McNinja-style (“We made it back to Base!”)

2) “Base is the place with the helpful yard-wear gnome!”

Protato
2018-03-31, 03:06 PM
The Lazarus Keep, simply because it sounds cool!

SirGraystone
2018-04-01, 08:25 PM
Wayne Manor

Honest Tiefling
2018-04-01, 08:28 PM
Think about it: would an army leader really want to say out loud "YEA MEN, ONWARDS TO VICTORY! FOR NOW WE STORM AND LAY SEIGE TO KEVIN!".

People could still attack a Kevin. But Fort Squeedonk Tiddlywinks Ding-dong? That might be harder.

Nifft
2018-04-02, 04:07 PM
Use the force of misdirection against your foes.

Call it Third Base.

Your enemies will expend time & resources trying to locate bases one and two.

This name will also enable you to follow up any NPC who says "I don't know".

Ventruenox
2018-04-02, 04:17 PM
Call it Third Base.

"How does one get to Third Base?" That'll provide endless amusing answers.

It could also be confusing. What do you do when it is time to run for home?

The Rogue can be up to all sorts of Base dealings. The naive Paladin can be "All about that Base, about that Base. No trouble."

KorvinStarmast
2018-04-02, 04:35 PM
The demon forfeited his soul for eternity since we showed him how he accidentally broke the contract. Demon's Hole.

(Say it out loud, you'll get the pun)

Nifft
2018-04-02, 04:46 PM

The Rogue can be up to all sorts of Base dealings. The naive Paladin can be "All about that Base, about that Base. No trouble." Third Base just keeps getting better.

:smile:

Demon's Hole.

The pun is afoot.

Zanthy1
2018-04-03, 01:05 PM
Why are you not naming it in such a fashion as to advertise your clothing business? The rest of the party can have their own names for it, but for you, it shall be Chataeu du Vuitton. Get a signet ring with your brand logo on it, so you can seal letters with wax depicting it as well.

Seconding Chateau du Vuitton. Cause all the shadier businesses need a front, and a fashion front it perfect. In terms of the canal, I would work with your DM on specifics. Ultimately you;re gonna want some crazy magic items to make it go faster, might I suggest a homebrewed version of the Lyre of Building? Turn said canal into a river, with a lake that your manor oversees. Make it a wide lake too, so ships can pass each other if necessary

GlenSmash!
2018-04-03, 02:22 PM
Demon's Hole.

If you want to get in this Demon's Hole
you have to pay the Troll toll.

Vogie
2018-04-03, 03:36 PM
Clearly the best name would be:

Toy Boat Toy Boat Toy Boat Toy Boat Toy Boat

They can't find you if they can't pronounce it.

maybe the Burlington Cloak Factory.

Burlington Moat Factory!

Personification
2018-04-03, 04:05 PM
Isengard? (you do have a warmongering treant) Also, I just want to say that this was my first reaction to your post:
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/faust_20.png

jaappleton
2018-04-03, 08:51 PM
Basy McBaseface?

I came in this topic with the intent to post exactly this.

-sheds a tear-

I love this community so damn much...

Beechgnome
2018-04-03, 09:52 PM
Port Huey. If you call it a port, eventually the boats will come to you.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-04-20, 04:51 PM
I just want to appologize to everyone here...for some reason my notifications for this thread got turned off, so I thought this post died after the first day. I'm sitting at work snickering to myself about all of these posts, and I'm about to go back and respond to some of them. This forum is the Reddit of the internet.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-04-20, 04:54 PM
As for your canal digging project, 5E makes large scale excavation difficult, or at least resource inefficient. A carefully worded Wish spell is your best option. Another option is to True Polymorph one of your minions into a giant Purple Worm. Dominate Monster on a critter with the Tunneling trait also works, but doesn't last long enough for what you want. Ditto for Shapechange. Move Earth, Transmute Rock, and Stone Shape don't give enough bang for their buck.

You can brute force it with a Golem work crew, or a number of Mold Earth casters if you have several years to set them at it. A generous DM might let you Chrono Trigger one into existence with time manipulation to leave a Golem in the past. If you have a morally ambiguous party, enslave some Goblins or Kobolds.

The least resource intensive option may be to use Geas on a team of Umber Hulks after casting Tongues. Good luck with that encounter.

Once you have that trench dug, you will still have a huge expense in building a series of locks. After all, why would your manor be at sea level? I would expect each one way trip through the canal to take 4-6 days. A good parallel for this undertaking would be the Erie Canal (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie_Canal) in New York.

I have a broken, very dangerous wand of True Polymorph. I might give that a shot and go with a Purple Worm or a Chasm Fiend (since I've seen one of those). I haven't messed up with the wand yet...What could possibly go wrong?

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-04-20, 04:55 PM

I love this as a more serious option. I don't know if they want to go serious or jokey, but I'm putting this forward either way. We might end up calling it 6 different things based on our characters.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-04-20, 04:56 PM
I would go with--

Manor of Death

or for your wizard, maybe the Burlington Cloak Factory.

"Burlington Cloak Factory" Um...you're a genius.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-04-20, 04:59 PM
Kevin.

Call your base Kevin.

Perfect defense.

This is...yeah, makes sense to me!

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-04-20, 05:00 PM
You will get plenty of help with bass names, I just wanted to say A++ on the username! Probably one of my favorites thus far.

Aww thanks, you're a sweetheart. This was the name of my first D&D character. A Swashbuckler/Monk multiclass who dreamt of being the captain of a Skyship.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-04-20, 05:01 PM
People could still attack a Kevin. But Fort Squeedonk Tiddlywinks Ding-dong? That might be harder.

This is going straight into my suggestion notes.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-04-20, 05:02 PM
Seconding Chateau du Vuitton. Cause all the shadier businesses need a front, and a fashion front it perfect. In terms of the canal, I would work with your DM on specifics. Ultimately you;re gonna want some crazy magic items to make it go faster, might I suggest a homebrewed version of the Lyre of Building? Turn said canal into a river, with a lake that your manor oversees. Make it a wide lake too, so ships can pass each other if necessary

This is a great idea!

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-04-20, 05:03 PM
Clearly the best name would be:

They can't find you if they can't pronounce it.

Burlington Moat Factory!

Another suggestion for the guys...

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-04-20, 05:06 PM
Isengard? (you do have a warmongering treant) Also, I just want to say that this was my first reaction to your post:
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/faust_20.png

Basically exactly how this went...

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-04-20, 05:09 PM

The Rogue can be up to all sorts of Base dealings. The naive Paladin can be "All about that Base, about that Base. No trouble."

Third Base is definitely in the top there for me right now...it just keeps getting better!

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-04-20, 05:13 PM
Okay, with those replies out of the way I've got a short list compiled to take to the group. If you want to add to this, speak now or forever be lost to the ether.

Chataeu du Vuitton
Burlington Cloak Factory
Kevin
Fort Squeedonk Tiddlywinks Ding-dong
Third Base
The League of Pale and Larz (Because I'm a deep gnome and everyone else is white)
The League of Good and Jugo (Jugo is our murder clown party member who we're slowly reforming)