PDA

View Full Version : Trying to remember a class in D&D

BB944
2018-03-30, 08:04 PM
Hey guys,

Maybe some of the more advanced/experienced players in this thread could help me here.

So Back when I was 8, I played my first game of DND, I was over at a guys house with a couple of my friends, and I am for the LIFE of me trying to find the class that I played.
Here is what I remember (mind you that this is close to 30 years ago)
It was definitely DnD, because other guys were elves and dwarfs and humans, no classes.
I remember fighting Gelatinous Cubes
I was some sort of Monk or Ninja, (can see the picture drawn of the class, typica ninja, black cloths and mask coming down from a tower or roof) I made it to 2nd level (big deal) because now my unarmored strikes were the equivalent to silver daggers in terms of overcoming damage resistance.

So there it is... what class had silver dagger equivalent unarmored strikes? I remember that as I advanced in level my punches did the equivalent to different weapons rather than different damage. I have checked out the original Monk from the AD&D players handbook as well as the classes in the Oriental Adventures... it is not there... So was this some Dragon Magazine thing? Or perhaps they were Homebrewing a class?

Any help would be appreciated... It is just bugging me yah know??

BWR
2018-03-31, 12:09 AM
It's the Mystic from BECMI.
ReEdit: can't find the illustration mentioned, so it could be either the Master's box version or RC.

Lord Torath
2018-03-31, 08:26 AM
It probably is the Mystic class from the Rules Cyclopedia (Mystic doesn't appear in any of the BECMI boxed sets), although there is no image of a black-clad ninja. One thing that might help narrow things down: How long has it been since you were eight? You may have conflated the image you took the inspiration for your character from with the rulebook.

Level 2: Silver equivalent
Level 5: +1 equivalent
Level 8: +2
Level 11: +3
Level 14: +4
Level 16: +5

My brother played one of these in a game I ran. He ended up being the only PC capable of harming the Clay golem they encountered. Everyone else only had edged magic weapons, and the clay golem required blunt magic weapons.

Edit: As pointed out below, Mystic appears in DM's book of Master's set. Oops! :smallredface:

Khedrac
2018-03-31, 11:30 AM
It probably is the Mystic class from the Rules Cyclopedia (Mystic doesn't appear in any of the BECMI boxed sets)
Masters set, DMs book, page 17 actually, the Rules Cyclopedia just expanded it.

CE DM
2018-04-01, 09:09 AM
Good & fun game/edition BTW:smallsmile:

MeeposFire
2018-04-01, 01:26 PM
Mystics were pretty sweet back then I must say. I wonder if the version in Japan where the setting in the RUlescyclopedia was not Mystara but the setting for Record of Lodoss War had a ninja look to the mystic class?

BB944
2018-04-01, 08:42 PM
It probably is the Mystic class from the Rules Cyclopedia (Mystic doesn't appear in any of the BECMI boxed sets), although there is no image of a black-clad ninja. One thing that might help narrow things down: How long has it been since you were eight? You may have conflated the image you took the inspiration for your character from with the rulebook.

Level 2: Silver equivalent
Level 5: +1 equivalent
Level 8: +2
Level 11: +3
Level 14: +4
Level 16: +5

My brother played one of these in a game I ran. He ended up being the only PC capable of harming the Clay golem they encountered. Everyone else only had edged magic weapons, and the clay golem required blunt magic weapons.

OMG !!! thank you! Looked it up and can confirm that that was the class that I played. Thought that he must have been using standard book of some sort... mainly because it was a hard cover that we play out of... but what do you remember clearly when you are eight anyways???

You're the best!

Yeah I am likely remembering something from one of his other books. But after a quick skim of the book it is right by everything that I recall. The thing was that when I started Playing more frequently the revised 2nd edition books just came out so we were using those instead of the original books.

And to answer the question it was 1989

Thanks again!