PDA

View Full Version : Rpg class axe users

Stormtrooper666
2018-03-30, 10:39 PM
Im not looking for any specific rpg or edition.
I just am wondering what classes use axes or primarily use axes

Knaight
2018-03-30, 11:35 PM
The thing about not looking for specific PRGs here is that classes are specific to particular RPGs (and most RPGs don't use classes at all). There's no master list all RPGs use which has some list of axe wielders, for instance.

That said, if you're just looking for a list of axe using classes that can be from any RPG, the Fighter, Warrior, Brigand, Corsair, and Berserker from various Fire Emblem fan games comes immediately to mind as either exclusive axe wielders or axe wielders with a ranged option. D&D 3.5s Dwarven Defender is also usually going to be an axe wielder, if only because of race restrictions and using something and a shield basically by necessity.

oxybe
2018-03-31, 12:43 AM

Bards.

Bards love to wail on their axes.

badump-tish I'm here all night folks, don't forget to tip your waiter.

Khedrac
2018-03-31, 03:48 AM
Not "Classes" (game concepts) but a "classes" (types of person):

Gloranthan Earth custists.
Stereotypical dwarves.
Lumberjacks.
Warriors based on the "viking" concept.
Warriors based on certain "native North American" concept (tomahawk wielders).
Stone-age societies (stone axes and stone spears).

Blackhawk748
2018-03-31, 08:14 AM
Russian Peasants

Nifft
2018-03-31, 08:16 AM

Dwarf.

Warning: Not all editions are this classy.

comicshorse
2018-03-31, 09:05 AM
From Warhammer 'Troll Slayers' ( and Giant and Daemon Slayer) use two handed weapons which ,as they are Dwarves, are usually axes

KillianHawkeye
2018-04-02, 06:47 AM
Barbarians who don't like swords (a la Kull the Conqueror, "By this axe, I rule.").

johnbragg
2018-04-02, 07:19 AM

As people have said, there are games with and without classes.

If it's D&D or anything closely related, then axes are an option for Fighter, Warrior, Barbarian, Ranger, Paladin, Warblade or anything whose name sounds like a guy who'd swing a big axe at his enemies and chop them in half.

In most games, for any class that's big on using weapons, axes are going to be an option.

Knaight
2018-04-02, 10:12 AM
In most games, for any class that's big on using weapons, axes are going to be an option.

Though they might not be a particularly likely option - there's a lot of games where the standard weapons are firearms, where bringing an axe to a rifle fight is a terrible idea.

Florian
2018-04-02, 10:19 AM
Though they might not be a particularly likely option - there's a lot of games where the standard weapons are firearms, where bringing an axe to a rifle fight is a terrible idea.

Yes, but then you put on the hockey mask, point to the rule of cool and go chopping.

Blackhawk748
2018-04-02, 10:33 AM
Yes, but then you put on the hockey mask, point to the rule of cool and go chopping.

Or be a Kung Fu Master

KillianHawkeye
2018-04-03, 07:34 AM
Or be a Kung Fu Master

Axes aren't exactly the first weapon I think of when I picture a master of Kung Fu or any other martial arts form. Heck, they don't even make it in the top 10 weapons I think of.

Mastikator
2018-04-03, 01:12 PM
Lumberjacks.

Firefighters.

Carpenters.

RazorChain
2018-04-03, 02:53 PM
Those who can't afford swords use axes. It's robust and easier to make.

It's a high impact weapon that's great for destroying your opponents shield and if your opponent is heavily armored then it is better for bruising/breaking bones.

You can have a pick head on the other side of your axe which is good for punching through armor.

If you have a bearded axe you can try to pull your opponents off balance.

Axes are unwieldier than swords, have worse reach as you cant extend for a thrust so bring a shield.

Anonymouswizard
2018-04-03, 05:19 PM
In most games axes aren't restricted, or are limited to warriors. Off the top of my head:
-Anima: Beyond Fantasy any class can pick Axes (one or two handed) as their free weapon, Fighter classes will be the best at using them.
-Lamentations of the Flame Princess anybody can pick up an axe and swing it. Fighters will be the best, but everybody can do it.
-Fantasy AGE only warriors really get the ability.
-Legends of the Wulin weapons are not restricted by class.

There's more that I can do without checking my books, but in must RPGs anybody can use any weapon, but only Warriors might be able to do so well. This is actually even more of the case in point buy games, because non warriors might have no points at all in combat skills (most well have some in at least one, but I've seen no combat skills before).

Blackhawk748
2018-04-03, 06:17 PM
Axes aren't exactly the first weapon I think of when I picture a master of Kung Fu or any other martial arts form. Heck, they don't even make it in the top 10 weapons I think of.

I generally think of them when i think of Kung Fu mooks. I mean, axe gangs were a thing

KillianHawkeye
2018-04-03, 07:00 PM
I generally think of them when i think of Kung Fu mooks. I mean, axe gangs were a thing

Okay, yeah, I forgot about the Hatchet Men. :smallsigh::smallsmile:

Xuc Xac
2018-04-04, 12:09 AM

You have to watch "Kung Fu Hustle" and "Brotherhood of the Wolf".

It's a high impact weapon that's great for destroying your opponents shield and if your opponent is heavily armored then it is better for bruising/breaking bones.

Not really. A battle ax is really nothing like a wood cutting ax. Trees don't dodge. The bit on a wood cutting ax is heavy and stout. A battle ax bit is about as thick and sharp as a chef's knife. You're not going to chop through shields with it, but you can hook the edge of the shield with it and pull it open. It's cutting power comes from speed: it's not very heavy and it's at the end of a long lever arm that amplifies the speed of your elbow and wrist movements. When you imagine a berserker charging with a battle ax, think less "lumberjack with a sharpened mace" and more "slice and dice saber that's only sharp near the tip".

Doorhandle
2018-04-04, 05:27 AM

Stereotypically, it's used by D&D barbarians. Nothing says "frothing berserker" like a greataxe.

Joe the Rat
2018-04-04, 12:22 PM
As a form of tool, it fits the peasant repertoire. For certain venues, it is death to touch a sword if you are not of the right class.

Nobility will treat it more as a get-the-job-done weapon, or a proffer for those less inclined to sword.

Really, just about any level of class will use one, though the specific forms will depend on whether you are talking a weapon of the noble, the rank-and-file, the poor, or the out and out untouchable.

Lord Raziere
2018-04-04, 12:44 PM

To a Martial artist, anything is a weapon!

One just needs to learn Chopping Axes of Falling Trees Style. Meditate on the concept of axes! realize everything is a tree!

KillianHawkeye
2018-04-05, 10:36 AM
To a Martial artist, anything is a weapon!

One just needs to learn Chopping Axes of Falling Trees Style. Meditate on the concept of axes! realize everything is a tree!

You win! :smallbiggrin:

Also, is that a specific reference to anything? It sounds weirdly familiar....

Lord Raziere
2018-04-05, 11:36 AM
You win! :smallbiggrin:

Also, is that a specific reference to anything? It sounds weirdly familiar....

Nope. I'm just really good at coming up with fantastical martial arts and making them sound cool. I guess the closest thing to a reference I can say it is, is Exalted or Legends of the Wulin since they use "Style" instead of things like "Discipline" or "School" as their name for it? but no, I didn't intend for it to be anything specific and I can't think of anything that it references aside from lumberjacks. Odd.

KillianHawkeye
2018-04-05, 11:48 AM
Nope. I'm just really good at coming up with fantastical martial arts and making them sound cool. I guess the closest thing to a reference I can say it is, is Exalted or Legends of the Wulin since they use "Style" instead of things like "Discipline" or "School" as their name for it? but no, I didn't intend for it to be anything specific and I can't think of anything that it references aside from lumberjacks. Odd.

I meant the last part, actually. "Meditate on the concept of axes! realize everything is a tree!" But, like, possibly with different words instead of "axes" and "tree".

Lord Raziere
2018-04-05, 12:01 PM
I meant the last part, actually. "Meditate on the concept of axes! realize everything is a tree!" But, like, possibly with different words instead of "axes" and "tree".

I dunno. I just.....made it up. maybe I unintentionally referenced something that I don't know about? could be a good meme though:

"Meditate on the concept of bows! Realize everything is an apple!"

"Meditate on the concept of money! Realize everything is something to sell!"

"Meditate on the concept of punch! Realize everything is a face!"

"Meditate on the concept of spells! Realize everything is magic!"

"Meditate on the concept of awesome! Realize that everything is!"

*shrug*

exelsisxax
2018-04-05, 01:19 PM
Woodshop? Lumberjack 101? Intro To Fire Rescue?

rbingham2000
2018-04-08, 02:01 PM
Berserkers, dwarves, and Viking-esque fighters are probably the most likely to use axes.