PDA

View Full Version : "Solo" modules?

Daimbert
2007-08-31, 02:39 PM
I have to admit my utter geekiness here and point out that recently I got into playing strategic board games solo, meaning by myself but with all the characters/teams/kingdoms in play. I stole this from turn based Hot Seat computer games, since when I was a kid I didn't have anyone who wanted to play them with me, and so I played them as all sides myself and tried to "roleplay" the sides as much as I could. Now that I'm older, I find that I don't have the time/interest to find dedicated gaming groups, and find it hard to commit to any such group as well, and so started playing the BGs by myself, which has so far been entertaining.

Since a big part of the appeal of playing solo is the ability to roleplay -- sides can't break character unless I want them to -- I've always been tempted to try an actual roleplaying game. The problem is that if I write the plot I know what will happen, which would hurt the game. So I haven't tried it.

Now, I was thinking: are there any prepared modules that might work for me? Something that I could create a party for and walk through without having to do any reading ahead, and so I could let my party mostly act through it without knowing what's coming? Basically, a complete module where I can let the book DM at all the important points and only have to fill things in if I do something odd (which is acceptable to me).

(BTW, I'm aware of and tempted to try to join one of the on-line RPG things put together by people here, but I'd still like this anyway for "I'm snowed in today and would like to do some roleplaying" types of days).

Thanks in advance.

Korias
2007-08-31, 03:08 PM
I have to admit my utter geekiness here and point out that recently I got into playing strategic board games solo, meaning by myself but with all the characters/teams/kingdoms in play. I stole this from turn based Hot Seat computer games, since when I was a kid I didn't have anyone who wanted to play them with me, and so I played them as all sides myself and tried to "roleplay" the sides as much as I could. Now that I'm older, I find that I don't have the time/interest to find dedicated gaming groups, and find it hard to commit to any such group as well, and so started playing the BGs by myself, which has so far been entertaining.

Since a big part of the appeal of playing solo is the ability to roleplay -- sides can't break character unless I want them to -- I've always been tempted to try an actual roleplaying game. The problem is that if I write the plot I know what will happen, which would hurt the game. So I haven't tried it.

Now, I was thinking: are there any prepared modules that might work for me? Something that I could create a party for and walk through without having to do any reading ahead, and so I could let my party mostly act through it without knowing what's coming? Basically, a complete module where I can let the book DM at all the important points and only have to fill things in if I do something odd (which is acceptable to me).

(BTW, I'm aware of and tempted to try to join one of the on-line RPG things put together by people here, but I'd still like this anyway for "I'm snowed in today and would like to do some roleplaying" types of days).

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, you need 2 people to run a module. The DM, who controls the world, and the Player. You'd be better picking up a Chose your Own adventure book.

However, if you think that you want something like this, Post an advert in a thread. I'm sure somebodys looking for DM experience, and the less players, the easier it is for them.

Falconsflight
2007-08-31, 03:31 PM
Well any of the modules can do this for you. Just make a party of about 4, and send them through the module. Acting as all 5 people. I'd say stick to the "Classic" modules coming out again, as they don't need too much backstory on the DM's part. you can try the big book ones, like the "Adventures to the Undermountain" but those reveal a lot of stuff you may not want "your players" to know. which would make it harder for you to not do certain things.

Ashtar
2007-08-31, 03:32 PM
For example, the Blood Sword (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Sword) series of books allowed for this. It's not a D20 system, but it's a wonderful set of gamebooks!

Now it is up to you on how much you role-play the characters.

Matthew
2007-08-31, 03:33 PM
There was a 'solo play' mode in the 1e DMG, if I recall correctly. I think that there are a number of such 'solo' games out there, but I don't recall off the top of my head. Dungeoneer is a bit like that. I can't find the Website right now, but here's a link to Dungeoneer - Tomb of the Lich Lord (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5576) at Board Game Geek.

bosssmiley
2007-08-31, 05:38 PM
"Tunnels & Trolls" used to tout a 'solo play' mode back in the day. I don't know if the new edition (OGL IIRC) version maintains it though...
I know things like "Warhammer Quest" (with its' excellent random dungeon generator), "Talisman", "Cave Troll" and the like had solitaire play modes.
Don't know about the "D&D Board Game" though, sorry.

Strange isn't it: we gamers are by-and-large an introverted, bookish bunch, yet we love to play games that practically require social interaction and the making of new friends. :smallamused:

Daimbert
2007-08-31, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far.

I'm covered off on dungeon crawling board game type things, with the OotS Adventure Game and Betrayal at House on the Hill. I'm also looking for a more story-based module than a simple dungeon crawl. I don't mind knowing some things in advance as long as I don't precisely what to do. Even that isn't a HUGE problem; I've replayed KOTOR about 10 times with different characters, so even knowing the basics of the plot isn't a big deal ... but if I wrote every possible outcome myself then it would be kind of dull.

I've done the various game books things (could dig up some of my old game books and try that out again) and am looking for something a bit more customizable, which the full options of an RPG system (not necessarily just D&D, but any full RPG system. I have various types of the Choose Your Own Adventure type of games (including some of the Time Machine series, among the best in my opinion) but they aren't customizable enough and are a bit juvenile for my tastes.

Korias
2007-08-31, 06:36 PM
Pfff.... Ok. Let me dig up the books of old.

First, I would suggest picking up a game system such as GURPS or BESM That is simple to set up and easy to run. These systems are fairly quick and very RP Based, with a good amount of combat. Also, It would pay to invest in models for your characters (Anything works) so you can keep track of your party. I personally prefer legos (If I'm at a friends) or miniatures that are pre-painted. Also, consider investing in a system that uses pre-made miniatures that you can string together, like the ones with models with stats on the base. The name escapes me, but somebody can fill in the gaps.
Second, bring people into the fold. You miss out on one of the main things of DND when you play alone. Start humorous. Play a game of Munchkin or a humor module and just have fun as you laugh. DnD is first and foremost a game, and if your snowed in, contact some friends on MSN or AIM and play something through chat.

Damionte
2007-08-31, 10:40 PM
Most of the big modules can be run through on your own without reading ahead. You kinda have to be able if you're going to play test it for a party.

I've doen that with "Band of The Red Hand" and "Return to the Temple Of Elemental Evil".

UserClone
2007-08-31, 11:09 PM
I personally reccomend the Lone Wolf series of books- It's like a choose your own Adventure/RPG hybrid. Sounds like EXACTLY what you are looking for.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-01, 06:57 AM
Sounds like the old Midnight Alley adventure. Similar to the Lone Wof adventure books.

I believe there were a few other adventures. You can probably get them cheap on Amazon or Ebay.

Your PC adventures and gets choices. There was a red vinyl viewer to reveal hidden information to direct your PC to the next challenge.

daggaz
2007-09-01, 03:29 PM
Yeah, just download the little free modules from the wizards website (that is if they are still offering them) and run them thru with a party of four, without reading thru them first. Just read as you go, it might mess up a few things, but 90% of it should work just fine.

Still tho, its worth hitting some forum boards and seeing if there arent a few players in your area. I made some great new friends that way.

Assasinater
2007-09-01, 06:11 PM
I've not much to say about such modules, but for helping "one person roleplay", here's an idea:

Make up an not-so-complex random AI, taking into account some outer factors that make sense to you. Let me give a basic example:

(keeping things very simple here)

An elven and human kingdom are in a diplomatic crisis. War seems to be at hand, but both sides are staying neutral at the moment.

Roll 1d6 for elves, and because elves being more peaceful & diplomatic than other races (just making these up now):

-1, 2 and 3: Try to parley
-4 and 5: Wait for the other side to attack
-6: Attack first

You can make up reasons fitting for the results thereafter, and it (if only barely) gives the feeling of another factor besides you in the game.

Not what you said you wanted, but anyway.

Daimbert
2007-09-03, 06:52 AM
Thanks again for the additional comments.

The books have always seemed a bit too limiting to me: you can't choose as wide a variety of classes and roleplaying has always seemed more limited in them. I might dig up one of my old games and give that a run.

I'm interested in trying D&D because it's the system I know the best. From experience with various computer games and various reading, I have a fairly good idea how it works. I don't want to start over with a new system and try to learn it just for a couple of games here and there.

I'll take a look for the free modules on the website and give them a try. It would greatly reduce any monetary outlay to try it [grin].

As for the random idea, I'm not overly concerned about having to interpret things and am willing to even have to read a bit ahead (and get a bit spoiled) to make it work. I'm even hoping to be able to re-run the modules with a different party later (I've play KOTOR, for example, about 10 times with different characters, despite knowing the entire plot). What I DON'T want to do is take a DM role, script out a wonderful and detailed story ... and then run it knowing all the details. I might as well just write a short story/novel if I was going to do that [grin].

jebmak
2008-12-17, 03:22 AM
You might like my website, it has a solo adventure where you can create two 4th edition characters and play through by yourself. Site linked in my sig.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-12-17, 04:00 AM
Ghost of Lion Castle ftw, man.

No solo modules since the old red-box D&D, as far as I know.

BobVosh
2008-12-17, 05:42 AM
lmao, paranoia has some solo missions.

You can even win. Technically.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-12-17, 09:02 AM
Thunderdelve Mountain, Module XS2 for Basic/Expert D&D!

Unfortunately, I have no idea where you can find this module, besides my personal bookshelf, and I'm not selling!

Drivethrurpg.com has a .pdf of the file for only $4.95, and they also carry the Rules Cyclopedia for that edition of the game for $5.95.