PDA

View Full Version : Can a Druid use Wildshape to avoid an AoO when moving away?

prototype00
2018-03-31, 04:57 AM
So say I’m engaged as a large sized creature (4 squares) with an enemy with 5ft reach.

I want to get out of there, so I shift back to medium size as a bonus action to occupy a square out of his reach, then I move away (without taking the Withdraw action)?

I see no reason it wouldn’t work as only movement triggers AoOs and this isn’t movement...? But I might be wrong.

Tubben
2018-03-31, 05:39 AM
So say I’m engaged as a large sized creature (4 squares) with an enemy with 5ft reach.

I want to get out of there, so I shift back to medium size as a bonus action to occupy a square out of his reach, then I move away (without taking the Withdraw action)?

I see no reason it wouldn’t work as only movement triggers AoOs and this isn’t movement...? But I might be wrong.

You can shape into an owl or something with the flyby feature to avoid an AoO.
Otherwise the enemy can take his reaction for an AoO.

edit: after re-reading the phb for the opportunity attack section, this would probably work to avoid an AoO. Atleast by RAW.

Spore
2018-03-31, 05:48 AM
Wildshape is a very limited resource. If you use this to avoid a potentially lethal attack, I would rule for it if the RAW is not clear.

nickl_2000
2018-03-31, 05:58 AM

RAW, yup it would work. You are leaving his reach without using your movement, therefore no AoO. I would certainly let you do it, at least until you started abusing it in game, then I would have a chat with you after one day.

prototype00
2018-03-31, 07:13 AM
RAW, yup it would work. You are leaving his reach without using your movement, therefore no AoO. I would certainly let you do it, at least until you started abusing it in game, then I would have a chat with you after one day.

Well, as stated, you only get two wildshapes per short rest until lvl 20 anyway, so "abuse" is a bit hard to imagine here. Is at most once per fight "abuse"?

prototype00

WickerNipple
2018-03-31, 08:04 AM
Well, as stated, you only get two wildshapes per short rest until lvl 20 anyway, so "abuse" is a bit hard to imagine here. Is at most once per fight "abuse"?

It is definitely not abusive and in many cases won't be the best call anyway, since the character is giving up whatever hp the wildshape has left.

sophontteks
2018-03-31, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't allow it, but I also don't play on the grid so we don't really see shenanigans like this. It doesn't make sense to me as you shrinking down to withdraw would leave you just as vulnerable as withdrawing anyway. Well, unless we are playing with DBZ rules where everyone waits patiently to see your final form :P.

Ok ok, I may allow it if the player convinces me. they gotta sell it a bit :smallbiggrin: