2018-03-31, 09:38 AM
I made a homebrew. This is to make a special game where you play as enemies:

The animal kingdom is divided into a few tiers

Tiny
Small
Medium
Large
Huge

Each of these can be hunted by creatures larger than it, the same size, and one size lower. Ranks can be used to purchase a) an ASI of 3 points, b) one feat, c) one class feature (level 1-5 costs 1 rank, 6-11 cost 2 11-16 cost 4 and 17-20 cost 8) d) get expertise in one proficiency or spend ranks to give them class resources equal that to a normal PC of the level of (number of ranks spent)

Every animal must eat half their body weight in food per day, any feat that allows you to instantly gain rations instead makes that number ¼ of your bodyweight, if you have 2 of them it makes ⅛.

Hit Dice is 1d8

Tiny: level 1, ranks: 20, stats are 3d6, speed 10
Small: Level 2, ranks: 15, stats are 4d6d1, speed 15
Medium: level 3, ranks: 10, stats are 4d6, speed 20
Large: level 4, ranks: 5, stats are 5d6d1 speed 25,
Huge: level 5: ranks: 1, stats are 5d6 speed 30

The maximum for a stat is 30
If you have an intelligence score of 25, you can use improvised weapons, they deal 1d12+strength damage
with an intelligence score of 30, you can use normal weapons, they deal (normal weapon damage+strength or dex)*2
Note: racial feats count as feats

Unoriginal
2018-03-31, 09:55 AM
Not being hostile or anything, but I think you'd have better luck on the Homebrew subforum, Ratter

Ratter
2018-03-31, 09:56 AM
Whelp. I feel stupid

Zippdementia
2018-03-31, 09:56 AM
It doesn't sound like something I'd want to play, because it is going to focus very much on hunting down monsters for food. Sounds like a great set up for a group that likes combat and wants to play big brawling combats, kind've leaning more towards the "board game" experience. I would set it up as each session focusing on a different monster hunt, with them getting more intense and difficult as we played more sessions. But I like DnD for the story and roleplaying as much as for combat and the fact that this game is literally driven by the need to kill would erase a lot of that for me.

Ratter
2018-03-31, 09:59 AM
It doesn't sound like something I'd want to play, because it is going to focus very much on hunting down monsters for food. Sounds like a great set up for a group that likes combat and wants to play big brawling combats, kind've leaning more towards the "board game" experience. I would set it up as each session focusing on a different monster hunt, with them getting more intense and difficult as we played more sessions. But I like DnD for the story and roleplaying as much as for combat and the fact that this game is literally driven by the need to kill would erase a lot of that for me.

Yeah, its boardgamey with the roleplay being mostly attempting to get yourself into a pack, animals can communicate with each other kind of like the crappy movie secret life of whatever. And the town will be your social group ie pack, so which binobo killed a baby might be a small part of a session, and after you find it out the pack trusts you enough to go hunting