PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and opinions on the War for the Crown AP?

Florian
2018-03-31, 10:20 AM
So, holidays and I finally had some free time to read the first two installments, Crownfall and Songbird, Scion, Saboteur.

On the technical side, this AP makes heavy use of some of the newer sub-systems:
- Influence rules (UI)
- Debate (UI)
- Scaling magic items (Unchained)
- Spy network, the now usual modified Downtime rules, including modified leadership and integration to the Influence system (UCa, UI)
- Group vigilante rules (UI)
- Town management, very downsized Kingdom rules (UCa)
..... So basically, this is Ultimate Intrigue - the AP.

As can be expected, the ratio combat vs. social is very different from other APs (so far).

So, my observation so far is that all Taldan specific PrC and Archetypes that we have so far are practically useless for playing the AP and are actually getting in the way of doing your spy job.

This AP (so far) is extremely heavy on the skill side of things. Really, the spectrum of skill checks that is used is broad to the extreme and in some cases very unsuspected so, considered the overall theme of the AP, with DCs for "cookie cutter" skills being higher than very specific skills. Of note: The UI rules supersede magic use, the the usual charm/dominate can´t replace the skill check.

So far, I´ve got the feeling that this is the AP with the least "freedom" to build whatever you want, you more or less must build to succeed at the required tasks or the party will fail, especially because you can´t designate a "face" to do their thing, each party member must contribute equally (and INT/WIS/CHA should all be at least at +1)

Right now I've got the feeling that Cavalier (mounted)/Investigator (TWF)/Druid/Arcanist would be the best approach to it (yes, Druid, there's outdoor stuff, animals and survival to handle and yes, Cavalier, because of using the scaling items)

johnbragg
2018-03-31, 10:40 AM
While this doesn't make me want to play or read the War of the Crown adventure path, it *does* make me want to pick up Ultimate Intrigue.

Faily
2018-03-31, 08:56 PM
Our group hit level 2 on this AP on its first session, and we're playing again on monday.

First reactions are very positive, but we all prepared ourselves for this to be THE intrigue campaign. Honestly, with a title like that, we'd be disappointed if it didn't offer it. I'm the only one in the party to have dumped CHA (I got unlucky on my stat-rolls, though with Bruising Intellect-trait I'm the party's strongest Intimidator), and I went into this knowing fully well that I would do poorly at a lot of the social skill rolls... and yes, I did terribly at the social skill rolls, but I actually had a lot of fun. I guess it helps to prepare mentally for the scenario and knowing that it's going to be your weakness?

The group consists of Eldritch Poisoner Alchemist (me), Knife-fighter Rogue, Mesmerist, and Bolt Ace Gunslinger, and all in all from the first session it seemed our group was well put-together and prepared for playing this kind of story. Now, we've not finished the first book yet, so I can't give a full view of it, but all first impressions were positive.

I've also played with this gang for years now, and we usually have a very good group dynamic, and tend to bring characters that are suited to the theme of the game. :smallsmile:

Palanan
2018-03-31, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Faily
The group consists of Eldritch Poisoner Alchemist (me), Knife-fighter Rogue, Mesmerist, and Bolt Ace Gunslinger….

That looks like a solid group to roll with. Elize’s sheet is linked in your signature; are the others on MW as well? I’d love to see the builds for the other three characters.

Faily
2018-04-01, 11:31 AM
That looks like a solid group to roll with. Elize’s sheet is linked in your signature; are the others on MW as well? I’d love to see the builds for the other three characters.

Not that I know of, as I tend to be the only one to roll with online-backups of my sheets. Became a habit of mine after I lost a character's sheet twice. But I can say for certain that everyone has good social Skills, decent Stealth, and between me and the Bolt Ace there's a lot of skullduggery Skills covered as well.

Torben Raibeart
2018-04-01, 12:03 PM
Mesmerist here. Afraid I only keep physical copies of my character sheets, but I'm basicly rolling an illusion-focused gnome Cult Master with high charisma and good mental stats, but so-and-so physical stats. Absolutly useless when it comes to dealing damage, but equipped with high-DC save-or-bad-time spells (color spray, paranoia, shadow trap, daze), some useful sneaking-and-spying abilities (lullaby, fearsome guise, ghost sound) and a gaze I can use to buff my companions in combat.

In short: Good at social skills, debuffing, and stealth, but please don't attack me :smalleek: