PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5] Need Help Choosing 3 Feats

FelineArchmage
2018-03-31, 12:53 PM
Playing a gestalt campaign where we get feats every level up. Just finished a major conclusion of our campaign last night and we leveled up and are 1 XP shy from the next level. I'm kind of at a loss for what I should take next after browsing a ton of books looking at feats. Below is my build with all the feats I've taken so far. I am a Swift Hunter ranger/scout build with levels in Order of the Bow Initiate with a focus on mounted combat. I'm able to use skirmish while mounted due to a least legacy ability, but that's currently out of commission. Don't have a much of a use for social feats as I'm mostly combat/nature oriented and we have a [really good] face for the party already.

Last session, my DM suggested Ranged Disarm or Ranged Grapple, but realistically I don't know how often I'd use it just based off what we've fought already and how often we don't not need to kill things. Thought about taking a shifter racial feat or get rid of one of my flaws, but only because I'm at a loss.

Here's the build. (Also, ignore the Shaky Flaw... at level 1 she was supposed to be a melee build).

https://78.media.tumblr.com/06f24f2cbdd084695e8f19d5901e8129/tumblr_p6gtt9jVrb1r7yu5go3_400.png
https://78.media.tumblr.com/4f2022ad347c2f7a87d93e50b3f41f4d/tumblr_p6gtt9jVrb1r7yu5go2_400.png
https://78.media.tumblr.com/e7d7727577fe5dc681dc4f8f035988c6/tumblr_p6gtt9jVrb1r7yu5go1_540.png

TLDR: Need help choosing 3 feats - 2 upon leveling up, and 1 that I need to retrain (Wild Talent, as she was originally a psionic class). Looking for something that can build upon what I already have, something that is super unique, or something that can open more possibilities outside of combat (as that's where I feel like I'm only useful).

Let me know if you need any clarifications on my build.

Thank you in advance!

Edit: base stats without magic items are as follows: STR 13 DEX 20 CON 14 INT 14 WIS 14 CHA 14

Edit 2: I think I will take Unyielding Bond of Soul (Faiths of Eberron) as one of my feats. We have/will be dealing a lot with outsiders.

Doctor Awkward
2018-03-31, 12:59 PM
Greater Manyshot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot) seems like a gimmie for your build.

Woodland Archer tactical feat out of Complete Warrior might also be an option. Some nice abilities and super easy prereqs.

Or just another instance of Travel Devotion.

EDIT: Also, if you don't already have it, the Spot the Weak Point skill trick out of complete scoundrel.

Once per encounter you can resolve your next attack as a touch attack. Manyshot only uses one attack.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-03-31, 01:09 PM
Greater Manyshot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot) allows you to add Skirmish damage and other precision damage to every arrow when using Manyshot.

Hidden Talent (XPH p67) is a good replacement for Wild Talent, it gives you a 1st level power that can be manifest using your limited power points. This should also allow you to use a Dorje of that power, so pick Chameleon (Psychic Warrior 1st) and get a Dorje of that for +10 Hide for ten minutes at a time at 15 gp per charge. Also get a wand of Camouflage (SC, Ranger 1st) which also gives you +10 Hide for 10 minutes at at time at 15 gp per charge, and they're different bonus types so they'll stack.

Leadership is always a decent choice, get a Bard cohort that focuses on Inspire Courage and buffing. Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) could be used to get a second animal companion, if that interests you.

Keep in mind that the Ranged Precision ability of Order of the Bow Initiate says it requires a standard action to use, i.e. it can't be combined with a full attack and it can't be combined with another standard-action ability like (Greater) Manyshot. It's only usable if you're just taking a single normal shot as a standard action, thus the reason why that class is considered to be not worth taking.

FelineArchmage
2018-03-31, 01:26 PM
Greater Manyshot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot) allows you to add Skirmish damage and other precision damage to every arrow when using Manyshot.

Hidden Talent (XPH p67) is a good replacement for Wild Talent, it gives you a 1st level power that can be manifest using your limited power points. This should also allow you to use a Dorje of that power, so pick Chameleon (Psychic Warrior 1st) and get a Dorje of that for +10 Hide for ten minutes at a time at 15 gp per charge. Also get a wand of Camouflage (SC, Ranger 1st) which also gives you +10 Hide for 10 minutes at at time at 15 gp per charge, and they're different bonus types so they'll stack.

Leadership is always a decent choice, get a Bard cohort that focuses on Inspire Courage and buffing. Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) could be used to get a second animal companion, if that interests you.

Keep in mind that the Ranged Precision ability of Order of the Bow Initiate says it requires a standard action to use, i.e. it can't be combined with a full attack and it can't be combined with another standard-action ability like (Greater) Manyshot. It's only usable if you're just taking a single normal shot as a standard action, thus the reason why that class is considered to be not worth taking.

I don't know if I'm willing to go back to psionics - I had a bunch of levels in Wilder that I intentionally left behind, but I'll at least look into it. I'm not much of a hider though.

As for Leadership... we literally have a train of cohorts already ~5 cohorts long, and the first/main one already is a bard with Inspire Courage/buffs. Not much of a point going that route when it's already there.

Not worried about Ranged Precision - the way we've been playing it/allowed to play it is that I can use the ability in a full attack, but only on the first one.

Wild Cohort is out of the question, but for story reasons (I have lost 1 animal companion already, and my current one has almost died too many times to count. She doesn't want to put another animal in danger).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-03-31, 01:52 PM
I don't know if I'm willing to go back to psionics - I had a bunch of levels in Wilder that I intentionally left behind, but I'll at least look into it. I'm not much of a hider though.

As for Leadership... we literally have a train of cohorts already ~5 cohorts long, and the first/main one already is a bard with Inspire Courage/buffs. Not much of a point going that route when it's already there.

Not worried about Ranged Precision - the way we've been playing it/allowed to play it is that I can use the ability in a full attack, but only on the first one.

Wild Cohort is out of the question, but for story reasons (I have lost 1 animal companion already, and my current one has almost died too many times to count. She doesn't want to put another animal in danger).

Check out the Woodland Archer combat style feat in Races of the Wild.

Regarding Wild Cohort, see if you can add the benefits of that to your existing companion instead of getting a new one. That would make it a bit stronger and more likely to survive.

Regarding Leadership, you can actually stack the normal Inspire Courage bonuses with up to five different Dragonfire Inspiration energy types, so six Bards is really your limit on how effective that can be. Adding +9d6 sonic damage with Creaking Cacophony onto everyone's melee and ranged attacks is a pretty significant benefit. Make him a small size race such as a Stonehunter Gnome or Glimmerskin (Strongheart, Water) Halfling and he should be able to sit behind you on the tiger without any noticeable drawbacks. Give him a tower shield and he can use it to give you and the tiger cover from one side, even if he's not proficient with it, he can use a Lesser Rod of Still Spell to get around the spell failure chance. Give him a Sorcerer dip with the Dragonblood Sorcerer sub level for Battle Dragon or similar to switch Dragonfire Inspiration to Sonic, with utility spells like Benign Transposition and Nerveskitter. Put a wand chamber in his shield with a Wand of Wings of Cover, which is still an Immediate Action to activate per the Rules Compendium, since he has the Dragonblood subtype he can make it protect one additional character when he activates it. Give him Mounted Combat and you can each attempt a Ride check to negate a hit on your tiger every round.