PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions/ reviews about Frog God games material?

Kol Korran
2018-03-31, 01:05 PM
So... my play grouo is composed of adults in ages 37-44. Most of us are very busy (Work, kids, other engagements), and so we meet only about once a month. I used to DM for the group till about 2-3 years ago, when my resposibilites made prepping amd running the game impossible.

I'm looking to get back to GM, but even though I tried to make time to plan my own material, lessen the prep work and more, it ain't working- I just don't have the time to sit and create my won material well enough.

So, I've begun to consider written modules again. I'm quite weary of it, since we did try running Paizo's Wrath of The Righteous adenture path, and that ended far from satisfactory. I've also read some other Paizo adventure paths, and find them quite lacking, and suffering from many similar problems (Not challenging enough, way too scripted/ railroady, great concepts but poor implementation, and serious problems in camlaign continuity).

But, I came across a few reviews highly praising material from Frog God games- Rappan Athuk, Sleeping Tsar, Blight and so on. I looked at their site, but it has little info on the material itself.

Has any of you played anybof their products? They are expensive, but quite in my range, for products that will be fun to run and play.

Some of our group's play style prefernces:
1- Challenge first and foremost:
We're not high optimizers, butbwe all like good challenges. Out group as a whole like fighting against the odds, and have things be tough. We also play fair and deadly, meaning that all dice rolls are in the open, not "fudging"/ protecting players by the GM (Though I'm not gunning for them, the game is deadly enough), and my players hate any kind of ressuretion. Feels cheap...

2- choices and consequences: Though my players play along and will bite moat hooks and will go along with the premise of most games, they need to make real meaningful choices, which have impact. If they save the day, screw it up, or change the situation entirely it's all good. They like tough choices, but meaningful ones.

3- A place for character growth and decelopment: At least 2 players really like interact with the world not just in combat, and have their characters influence and be influenced by the world. They will make theirnown progress, but need the stage and opportunities for it.

4- Harsh, rough, hard worlds and challenges, but not hopeless ones. They really like epic qeusts, and bringing hope and change to dark places. So while harsh, "real world" ethics and morals may be common, they wish to bring light and be heroes.

5- Last, but not least: Not too much of a convulated plot. My players like uncovering secrets and mysteries, but not as the main dish... something that develops and gets complicated slowly withblittle effort is cool, but not heavy investigstive work, secret within secrets type of stuff, or convulated complexity.

This was a bit too long for a simple question...

TL;DR- I'm looking for expereincea and reviews witj Frog God material, especially campaigns.

Thanks,
Kol.

Kol Korran
2018-04-03, 11:30 AM
No one has any experience with the material? Hmmm...

Florian
2018-04-03, 12:41 PM
No one has any experience with the material? Hmmm...

Just didn't see your thread the first time ;)

I can say that I know most of the old Necromancer Games stuff and a lot of the new Frog God stuff and they cover a very broad spectrum, most of it leaning on some "old school principles" (which are more pronounced in the Swords & Wizardry versions then in PF).

It would help if you'd add some more info, like opinion on hex crawling / sandbox exploration, intended length of a campaign and such.

Kol Korran
2018-04-04, 12:53 PM
Just didn't see your thread the first time ;)

I can say that I know most of the old Necromancer Games stuff and a lot of the new Frog God stuff and they cover a very broad spectrum, most of it leaning on some "old school principles" (which are more pronounced in the Swords & Wizardry versions then in PF).

It would help if you'd add some more info, like opinion on hex crawling / sandbox exploration, intended length of a campaign and such.

Sure!
My players all started in D&D 1st edition (I think? The red box, where demi human races where also a class. The one with) so we are familiar with hecrawls, at least of that era, and the "old school" approach. (Sort to speak).

That said, these days my grouo prefer less random eplxploration, and more goal oriented goals. They like to have a problematic situation/ problem/ adversary, and then have freedom to tacklenot as they wish, but with a clear orientation as to the purpose/ destination of their adventures. I think this mostly stems fromus being older, busier,and that we have little time to play. (We meet about once a month, play for about 8 hours, but we PLAY!). We have little time for wandering/ filler, and seek to "get to the good stuff" quickly. We are cool with mysteries, investigation and such,but in context, and a clear purpose. I don't thinknit can work as the main motivation...

I once tried a free exploration theme, in a naval campaign where the party just stole a ship for their own. Ibthen suggested multiple hooks (Regions, Islands, and mysteries/ stuff to explore), but with no actual current problem. The campaign died instantly.

As to length of a campaign? We can go for a fairly long haul. Moat of our campaigna lasted for about... 200- 225 play hours? Usually spanning about 10- 14 levels... We've rarely played high level (13+), but it's something we'd like to do. (Tried it once, but with added mythic rules and RL problems it became too complicated). Basically, as long as the current challenge is good and engaging, and the characters have roomnto develop and have effect, We're good. We can play the long haul...

Florian
2018-04-05, 01:43 AM
Ok, a good start is "Lost Lands: Stoneheart Mountain". That contains two linked introductionary scenarios (ok, a bit geared towards players new to the hobby) and a very well done mega dungeon.

Of the old Necromancer Games stuff that is available via Frog God, I highly recommend Grey Citadel together with Eamonvale Incursion, as well as Hall of the Rainbow Mage.

1337 b4k4
2018-04-05, 12:54 PM
You might consider giving the Old School Primer a read for a good insight into how Matt Finch approaches his games, as that translates to how the modules are written too http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/matthew-finch/quick-primer-for-old-school-gaming/ebook/product-3159558.html

Kol Korran
2018-04-06, 07:10 AM
Ok, a good start is "Lost Lands: Stoneheart Mountain". That contains two linked introductionary scenarios (ok, a bit geared towards players new to the hobby) and a very well done mega dungeon.

Of the old Necromancer Games stuff that is available via Frog God, I highly recommend Grey Citadel together with Eamonvale Incursion, as well as Hall of the Rainbow Mage.

You might consider giving the Old School Primer a read for a good insight into how Matt Finch approaches his games, as that translates to how the modules are written too http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/matthew-finch/quick-primer-for-old-school-gaming/ebook/product-3159558.html

Thank you both. I'll try and check those out.
We haven't done an actual big dungeon in... a looooonnng time. Might be interesting!