PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other 3.5 Spontaneous Dragonmark (PEACH)

retaliation08
2018-03-31, 01:10 PM
This is a homebrew feat idea that I had for use with Dragonmarks in the Eberron Campaign Setting of 3.5 that allows spellcasters to expend spell slots to fuel their Dragonmarks more often.

Spontaneous Dragonmark
Prereq: 1 True Dragonmark

You can use spell energy to empower your Dragonmark more times per day.
You may expend a spell slot to use any Spell-like Ability granted by your Dragonmark or its lesser versions as a standard action, according to the table below, even if you do not normally have access to those abilities.

Least Mark Ability: 1st level slot
Lesser Mark Ability: 3rd level slot
Greater Mark Ability: 5th level slot

For example, a character with the Least Mark of Hospitality can expend a 1st level spell slot to use any powers of the Least Mark. A character with the Greater Mark of Hospitality can expend a 1st level slot, a 3rd level slot, or a 5th level slot to use any powers of the Least, Lesser, or Greater Mark respectively.

Durzan
2018-03-31, 02:00 PM
Cool. I am not familiar with how Dragonmarks work (as I don't own the relevant sourcebook), but it seems okay to me.

retaliation08
2018-03-31, 02:19 PM
Cool. I am not familiar with how Dragonmarks work (as I don't own the relevant sourcebook), but it seems okay to me.

The Dragonmarks are specific to the race and House you choose in the setting, so its fairly restrictive in choices. They generally require taking a feat and follow this formula:

Least Mark (No prereqs)
gain this or that 0th level SLA 2/day or 1st level SLA 1/day

Lesser Mark (req 9 ranks in 2 skills and Least Mark)
Gain 3rd or 4th level SLA 1/day

Greater Mark (req 12 ranks in 2 skills and Lesser Mark)
Gain 5th or 6th level SLA 1/day

So by the time you get to Greater Mark with Spontaneous Dragonmark, you would have spent 4 feats total and have the ability to cast a single 5th or 6th level spell (as determined by your House) using a 5th level slot. Technically it gives early access to some spell levels, which could be abused, but 3.5 is generally a pretty abusable system.