PDA

View Full Version : Need help with blood hunter

Satsujinki
2018-03-31, 02:26 PM
Ok so, i'm making a blood hunter. And i'm thinking in building a blood hunter melee, something with strenght, and i was interested with the profane soul, but open to suggestions.
Stats were rolled:

Any suggestions on what to pick up as various stuff? Rites, curses and order?

Ventruenox
2018-03-31, 04:25 PM
It's not current to Blood Hunter 2.0, but check out Nishant's Blood Hunter guide. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?505473-Preparing-for-the-Hunt-A-Blood-Hunter-Handbook) That would be a good place to start.

Satsujinki
2018-03-31, 04:31 PM
i did look at it and i'm even more frikken confused
10/10 did not solve my confusion

JakOfAllTirades
2018-03-31, 04:45 PM
A little more info would help us to advise you.

Have you decided on a character race?

Which campaign are you playing in? Curse of Strahd, Rise of Tiamat, something homebrewed?

And will this be for Adventurer's League or no? What are DM's ground rules?

FWIW, I played a Blood Hunter in Curse of Strahd: a Human (variant) Dex Build, Ghost Hunter.

Satsujinki
2018-03-31, 05:09 PM
A little more info would help us to advise you.

Have you decided on a character race?

Which campaign are you playing in? Curse of Strahd, Rise of Tiamat, something homebrewed?

And will this be for Adventurer's League or no? What are DM's ground rules?

FWIW, I played a Blood Hunter in Curse of Strahd: a Human (variant) Dex Build, Ghost Hunter.

Right so:
Homebrew
Human Variant
homebrewd.
no AL. DM ground rule is mainly: if you choose weird race, you better back it up with a good bg or you'll be justly shut doen

JakOfAllTirades
2018-04-01, 03:05 AM
I'd recommend stats of 14/13/14/7/14/11, putting your bonuses on Con and Wis. Con because you'll need the extra HP; Wis for the save DCs on your Blood Curses.

For your Human bonus feat, you need Tough! Your Crimson Rite is going to burn up hit points. Perception is a solid choice for your bonus skill, and you've got the Wis for it.

The Blood Hunter Guide has good advice on Backgrounds, but there aren't really any terrible choices (except Hermit) so pick one you like.

At 1st level you'll choose a Crimson Rite: fire, cold, or lightning damage. Of the three, fire is the most commonly resisted. Either of the other two is a better choice.

At 2nd level you choose a Fighting Style: for a Strength based Blood Hunter, Great Weapon Fighting is the way to go.

You'll also choose 2 Blood Curses at this level. I'll refer you to the Blood Hunter Guide here; I chose mine before it came out, picked some crappy ones and regretted it.

At 3rd level you face your big decision: which Order to choose? For Curse of Strahd I played a Ghost Slayer; they're very strong vs. undead. For more general play I like the Profane Soul because they're more versatile. A Profane Soul Blood Hunter has to choose a Patron; my favorite is the Undying. (Kill an enemy, recover HP! You're going to need HP!)

For choosing Warlock spells, I recommend Evil Anagram's definitive warlock guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?485736-Selling-your-Soul-at-a-Premium-The-Warlock-s-Guide-to-Power).

At 4th level, take an ASI: +2 Str!

That should be enough to get you started, but there is one other build of note.

The Single-Attribute Blood Hunter

This is risky, because you don't get the benefit of the Tough feat at 1st level. However, if you take Magic Initiate instead, you can learn the Shillelagh cantrip, plus Guidance and Faerie Fire. Or pick another 1st level Druid spell if you don't like having Advantage against your enemies. You're really just here for Shillelagh, because now Wis is your attack and damage stat as well as your spellcasting stat. You don't need Str!

Your stat array doesn't change much: 13/14/14/7/14/11 Just reverse Str and Dex. The difference is that you'll be bumping Wis by +2 at 4th level instead of Str. Your melee attacks, Blood Curses, and Spells all get a boost.

The downsides to this build: not as many HP, and it uses more bonus actions. The first Warlock spell you take will probably be Hex, which uses bonus actions, so be careful.

Satsujinki
2018-04-01, 04:56 PM
I'd recommend stats of 14/13/14/7/14/11, putting your bonuses on Con and Wis. Con because you'll need the extra HP; Wis for the save DCs on your Blood Curses.

For your Human bonus feat, you need Tough! Your Crimson Rite is going to burn up hit points. Perception is a solid choice for your bonus skill, and you've got the Wis for it.

The Blood Hunter Guide has good advice on Backgrounds, but there aren't really any terrible choices (except Hermit) so pick one you like.

At 1st level you'll choose a Crimson Rite: fire, cold, or lightning damage. Of the three, fire is the most commonly resisted. Either of the other two is a better choice.

At 2nd level you choose a Fighting Style: for a Strength based Blood Hunter, Great Weapon Fighting is the way to go.

You'll also choose 2 Blood Curses at this level. I'll refer you to the Blood Hunter Guide here; I chose mine before it came out, picked some crappy ones and regretted it.

At 3rd level you face your big decision: which Order to choose? For Curse of Strahd I played a Ghost Slayer; they're very strong vs. undead. For more general play I like the Profane Soul because they're more versatile. A Profane Soul Blood Hunter has to choose a Patron; my favorite is the Undying. (Kill an enemy, recover HP! You're going to need HP!)

For choosing Warlock spells, I recommend Evil Anagram's definitive warlock guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?485736-Selling-your-Soul-at-a-Premium-The-Warlock-s-Guide-to-Power).

At 4th level, take an ASI: +2 Str!

That should be enough to get you started, but there is one other build of note.

The Single-Attribute Blood Hunter

This is risky, because you don't get the benefit of the Tough feat at 1st level. However, if you take Magic Initiate instead, you can learn the Shillelagh cantrip, plus Guidance and Faerie Fire. Or pick another 1st level Druid spell if you don't like having Advantage against your enemies. You're really just here for Shillelagh, because now Wis is your attack and damage stat as well as your spellcasting stat. You don't need Str!

Your stat array doesn't change much: 13/14/14/7/14/11 Just reverse Str and Dex. The difference is that you'll be bumping Wis by +2 at 4th level instead of Str. Your melee attacks, Blood Curses, and Spells all get a boost.

The downsides to this build: not as many HP, and it uses more bonus actions. The first Warlock spell you take will probably be Hex, which uses bonus actions, so be careful.

at lvl 3 only 1 curse. so 14str /13 dex /14 con /7 int / 14wis / 11 cha,

Zanthy1
2018-04-01, 05:54 PM

I'll just throw out that Evil Anagram has some of the guides on the whole internet. Also, The rest of what Jak said sounds great, he is also a very credible source. I would also pose a question: for an order of the Lycan BH (most recent rendition), would the TWF fighting style work with the unarmed trikes? or would it be dueling? I saw a sage advice that Mathew Mercer himself answered, but his answer did not actually answer the question, at least not in full or in an easy to understand manner