PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Theurge (PRC)

AKA_Bait
2007-08-31, 03:15 PM
This PRC is actually the brainchild of JaxGaret I just happened to be the one who initally formatted a preliminary version for him and started the thread. See below.

JaxGaret
2007-08-31, 05:08 PM
Dragonfire Theurge

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 9 ranks, Speak Language: Draconic.
Spells: Ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells.
Invocations: At least 2 Draconic Invocations Known.
Special: Breath Weapon 2d6 and at least one Breath Effect.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Scales +2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class / +1 level of existing draconic invocation-using class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Draconic Resilience 2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class / +1 level of existing draconic invocation-using class

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Spellbreath|+1 level of existing spellcasting class / +1 level existing of draconic invocation-using class

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Scales +3|+1 level of existing spellcasting class / +1 level of existing draconic invocation-using class

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Dragonbreath Spellweave|+1 level of existing spellcasting class / +1 level of existing draconic invocation-using class

6th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|-|+1 level of existing spellcasting class / +1 level of existing draconic invocation-using class

7th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Scales +4|+1 level of existing spellcasting class / +1 level of existing draconic invocation-using class

8th|
+4|
+6|
+2|
+6|-|+1 level of existing spellcasting class / +1 level of existing draconic invocation-using class

9th|
+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Draconic Resilience 5|+1 level of existing spellcasting class / +1 level of existing draconic invocation-using class

10th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Scales +5, Immunities, Greatreach Dragonbreath|+1 level of existing spellcasting class / +1 level of existing draconic invocation-using class[/table]

Class Features

Hit die: d6

Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Appraise, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Listen, Search, Speak Language, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device.

Spellcasting: At each level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class (but not an invocation-using class) to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming an eldritch theurge, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Draconic Invocations: At each level, you gain new draconic invocations known and an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in a draconic invocation-using class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level (this includes Breath Weapon and Breath Effect). You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one draconic invocation-using class before becoming a Dragonfire Theurge, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining caster level and draconic invocations known.

Scales (Ex): As the Dragonfire Adept class feature.

Draconic Resilience (Ex): At 2nd level you gain DR 2/Magic. At 9th level this increases to DR 5/Magic.

Spellbreath (Sp): This Breath Effect, learned at 3rd level, allows you to stack an arcane spell that affects an area onto your Breath Weapon. Treat this spell as cast with the same area of effect as your Breath Weapon. Each target caught in the area of the Spellbreath must make a Reflex save versus your Breath Weapon's DC; passing the save reduces the damage from the Breath Weapon and the spell to half and negates any other effects of the spell - those who fail the save take full Breath Weapon damage and full damage from the spell. Targets may take any Fortitude and/or Will saves allowed by the spell.
It takes a full-round action to cast the spell and use your Breath Weapon simultaneously. Only an area spell with a casting time no greater than 1 standard action can be placed onto your Breath Weapon.
Treat Spellbreath as a spell whose level is equal to the area spell placed upon the Breath Weapon (minimum 4th level).

Dragonbreath Spellweave (Su): Beginning at 5th level, you can stack any Breath Effect you know (other than Greatreach Dragonbreath or Spellbreath) onto any arcane spell that affects a target or that requires a melee or ranged touch attack. The spell's level must be at least as high as 1/2 the level (rounded up) of the Breath Effect (for example, you can apply Shaped Breath only to a spell of 3rd level or higher). If the Breath Effect requires a saving throw, use the normal save DC for that Breath Effect. If a Breath Effect changes the damage of the spell, it can be applied only to a spell that deals damage (you can't add Enduring Breath to Charm Monster).
Using this ability increases the spell's casting time to 1 full-round action. A spell that has a normal casting time of 1 full round or longer takes an extra full-round action to cast.
If the spell has more than one target or allows more than one attack, you choose one target to be affected by the Breath Effect; all other targets take only the normal effect of the spell.
You can use this ability once every 1d4 rounds.

Greatreach Dragonbreath (Sp): Your Breath Weapon deals no damage. Instead, this Breath Effect allows you to place an arcane spell with a range of touch upon your Breath Weapon. For each target who fails their saving throw against your Breath Weapon, the spell takes effect on that target as if you had touched it. Any target that passes its saving throw is not affected by the spell.
It takes a full-round action to cast the spell and use the Breath Weapon simultaneously. Only a touch spell with a casting time no greater than 1 standard action can be placed upon your Breath Weapon.
Treat Greatreach Dragonbreath as a spell whose level is equal to the touch spell placed upon the Breath Weapon.
You can use this ability once per encounter.

Immunities: At 10th level, you gain immunity to paralysis and sleep.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-01, 08:37 AM
You were better off at x times per day than once per encounter. The breathbuff cheese is here is full force.

DraPrime
2007-09-01, 08:54 AM
Another dragon based Prc? I love dragons and all, but it's being overused. Anyway, what the hell are draconic invocations?

AKA_Bait
2007-09-01, 08:57 AM
Another dragon based Prc? I love dragons and all, but it's being overused. Anyway, what the hell are draconic invocations?

Well, this is actually a homebrew that Jaxgarret and I were working on for a Pseudodragon character I'm playing in one of his games. Put it here to see the statblock clearly and possibly get some feedback from people better at breaking things than I am.

Draconic invocations are from the Dragon Magic supplement. You get them in a base class called 'dragonfire adept'. It's pretty much a dragonish warlock.

Tenebris
2010-11-22, 05:02 PM
May Ao bless you, for you have created something that looks pretty much EXACTLY as I was going to design it. Now I don't have to do it myself. It's a really good job. A job that WotC should have done long ago, because D&D appeared incomplete without this PrC.

You were better off at x times per day than once per encounter. The breathbuff cheese is here is full force.
Cannot agree more on that. In my opinion it should be usable "3 times per day" instead "once per encounter". It's still 3.5...

FishAreWet
2010-11-22, 07:48 PM
Why the hell even restrict it to per day? The class ability is already limited by action economy and spells per day. The worst "Buff Breath" does is basically grant a free Chain Spell but slightly worse.

I'd also consider making the class longer. Many Theurge classes run into the issue of having no where to go when they're finished. If you expect entry at level 6, make the class 14 levels long.

And the capstone is boring and terrible.