PDA

View Full Version : Broken items I can make as a Artificer?

Beefinator2000
2018-03-31, 05:55 PM
Hello there!

I'm currently on a 6 hour coach journey and decided to think of items I could make with my level 12 artificer?

Would love some funny/broken/good suggestions

Thanks in advance!

The Vagabond
2018-03-31, 06:31 PM
Depends on how cheap you can make things. But one of the best one is a continual item of Favor of the Martyr, which is about 128000 gp, and wards against dazed, exhausted, fatigued, nauseated, sickened, staggered, or stunned.

PacMan2247
2018-03-31, 07:11 PM
I had a changeling artificer working for an assassins' guild at one point, and one of my favorite custom items got dubbed 'the hat of ill intent'. I don't remember the specifics now, but it did things like bestow curse and blindness/deafness and similar debuffs a few times a day.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-03-31, 07:14 PM
When it comes to "broken" items for crafters, it's hard to beat complete arcane's thought bottle. then you just need a wand of enervate.

SoraWolf7
2018-03-31, 07:14 PM
Not able to be done in a six-hour carriage ride, but your biggest goal should be a staff with the Wu Jen Spell Body Outside Body with Extend Spell on it. 24-hour Shadow Clone Jutsu that allows you to craft even easier with teamwork or craft multiple smaller items at once.

As for other stuff, look to make items of spells that let you imitate other class features, like Hunter's Eye. Anything else I'm not sure off the top of my head.

Falontani
2018-03-31, 07:36 PM
Items can be created to have a command word. Speaking a command word is a standard action. Nothing anywhere states that you can't have multiple items with the same Command Word.

Custom Charms!

3*5*1800= 27,000 GP *2 for no space limitation = 54,000 GP. /5 for having 1 charge per day = 10,800 GP. Subtract 30% for it requiring the wielder to be an artificer = 7560 GP. Subtract 25% from having the relevant craft reduction feat = 5670 Finally divide by 2 for actual crafting price = 2835 GP
1*1*1800= 1,800 GP *2 for no space limitation = 3,600 GP /5 for having 1 charge per day = 720 GP. Subtract 30% for it requiring the wielder to be an artificer = 504 GP. Subtract 25% from having the relevant craft reduction feat = 378 GP. Finally divide by 2 for actual crafting price = 189 GP
1*1*1800= 1,800 GP *2 for no space limitation = 3,600 GP /5 for having 1 charge per day = 720 GP. Subtract 30% for it requiring the wielder to be an artificer = 504 GP. Subtract 25% from having the relevant craft reduction feat = 378 GP. Finally divide by 2 for actual crafting price = 189 GP

Grand Total = 3,402 GP for +6 Armor bonus to AC, +4 Shield bonus to AC, +2 Deflection bonus to AC, and +2 Natural bonus to AC. All activated as a standard action.

Other spells to que up with this

2*3*1800 = 10,800 GP *2 for no space limitation = 21,600 GP /5 for having 1 charge per day = 4320 GP. Subtract 30% for it requiring the wielder to be an artificer = 3024 GP. Subtract 25% from having the relevant craft reduction feat = 2268. Finally divide by 2 for actual crafting price = 1,134 GP

This combo turns you into an Aberration for 10 minutes and grants you 1 Natural Armor (whatever). But then Alter Self kicks in immediately allowing you to change into any aberration with 3 HD or less. This lets any type of creature that is Sized Small-Large turn into an Elan (for humanoid passing purposes), or one of a slew of different aberrations gaining their physical racial modifications, and their natural armor.

There are many other fun combinations that you can use with this!

Beefinator2000
2018-03-31, 09:37 PM
All you guys are amazing thank you so much for the help love all the ideas!

Keep em' coming!

Citadel97501
2018-03-31, 09:53 PM
I just realized that you can make nearly any non-magical thing you want with the materials, "Spell Storing Item". Instead of taking over 7 years to make a set of Adamantine Full Plate or a bit over 5 years to make a set of full plate you spend 1 minute and 6 seconds to make it or at most 1 minute and 12 seconds due to how you read the material/masterwork rules...

This is even more ridiculous if you count 8 of those 12 hours as being time spent enchanting the earlier items, or you could argue that a tireless race such as a warforged with Exceptional Artisan could spend 6 hours per roll due to Exceptional Artisan to spend 12 hours, 2 minutes, and 12 seconds to craft two sets of the aforementioned Full plate with a +1 enhancement bonus.

While I assume by now you personally have a set of nice gear, I am sure that the other players or minions would be very happy to get a massive boost to their armor rating, some DR, and a basic bonus.

NecroDancer
2018-04-01, 10:47 AM
A smashed plate.

A chipped sword.

Cracked glasses.

A music box that is jammed.

An arrow that has been snapped in half.

A ripped cloak.

A book with undone binding.

Tvtyrant
2018-04-01, 02:29 PM
You can craft contingencies, which are the strongest magic items in the game. Celerity on self if someone goes before you in intiative, otilukes sphere on self if targetted by a death spell, etc.

Seak
2018-04-01, 11:20 PM
I just realized that you can make nearly any non-magical thing you want with the materials, "Spell Storing Item". Instead of taking over 7 years to make a set of Adamantine Full Plate or a bit over 5 years to make a set of full plate you spend 1 minute and 6 seconds to make it or at most 1 minute and 12 seconds due to how you read the material/masterwork rules...

This is even more ridiculous if you count 8 of those 12 hours as being time spent enchanting the earlier items, or you could argue that a tireless race such as a warforged with Exceptional Artisan could spend 6 hours per roll due to Exceptional Artisan to spend 12 hours, 2 minutes, and 12 seconds to craft two sets of the aforementioned Full plate with a +1 enhancement bonus.

While I assume by now you personally have a set of nice gear, I am sure that the other players or minions would be very happy to get a massive boost to their armor rating, some DR, and a basic bonus.

Could someone explain how "Spell Storing Item" is used in this manner?

unseenmage
2018-04-01, 11:29 PM
Craft Contingent Spell spells are always a crowd pleaser.

Keep in mind that Intelligent Magic Items can activate themselves theoretically netting you extra item activations in combat.
Not sure how that stacks up pricewise to just making a continuous magic item though.

There's a Feats in Magic Items sidebar in Arms and Equipment Guide that let's you cram feats into magic items for 10,000gp plus 5,000gp per prerequisite.
Combine with Craft Construct and lots of GM permission for all sorts of neat tricks.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-02, 02:05 AM

I'd guess by loading fabricate into it.

Honestly, if you're artificering right then there'll be enough collateral that you won't be wanting for broken stuff. :smalltongue:

skunk3
2018-04-02, 02:45 AM
Craft Contingent Spell spells are always a crowd pleaser.

Keep in mind that Intelligent Magic Items can activate themselves theoretically netting you extra item activations in combat.
Not sure how that stacks up pricewise to just making a continuous magic item though.

There's a Feats in Magic Items sidebar in Arms and Equipment Guide that let's you cram feats into magic items for 10,000gp plus 5,000gp per prerequisite.
Combine with Craft Construct and lots of GM permission for all sorts of neat tricks.

Yes, but it should be noted that many DM's are not going to allow this at all, and for a couple of reasons. The A&EG is technically 3.0 material, which isn't too problematic, but feats for 10k can definitely be problematic as not all feats are equal by a longshot. IF this is allowed at all it should be on a case-by-case basis with DM approval. Personally, I wouldn't allow it because it's a can of worms.

Tvtyrant
2018-04-02, 02:53 AM
Yes, but it should be noted that many DM's are not going to allow this at all, and for a couple of reasons. The A&EG is technically 3.0 material, which isn't too problematic, but feats for 10k can definitely be problematic as not all feats are equal by a longshot. IF this is allowed at all it should be on a case-by-case basis with DM approval. Personally, I wouldn't allow it because it's a can of worms.

Can you imagine feat ioun stones? Just throwing extra spell on them for a Sorceret would crack the game.

Citadel97501
2018-04-02, 03:09 AM

As Kelb Panthera said, basically you use Fabricate from the Trapsmith spell list (level 3), into the material and then after a UMD & a Craft roll it does all the work to make the armor.

unseenmage
2018-04-02, 04:35 AM
Hey, the OP specifically asked for broken so I delivered.
And I did make mention that GM permissions would be required.

For the record Create Crawling Claw and Minor Servitor are also explicitly 3.0 materials which have odd 3.5 equivalencies.
At least the Feats in Items sidebar converts straightforwardly.
The Crawling Claw creature became a swarm in LEoF while the associated creation spell remained unmentioned and Minor Servitor was supposed to become Awaken Construct in SC even though the two are barely related.

When I played my own broken artifice I just researched them as custom spells (with GM permission of course) and went on with my day.