PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Chronomancy Spells 3.5

artimus261
2018-03-31, 07:29 PM
Hi all. I am currently working on a class called, you guessed it, the Chronomancer. Now I've seen others flying around and have chosen not to look at them directly, I don't want to draw from other peoples hard work. The thing I'm posting this about is a specific group of three spells I whipped up that I'm curious about. I'm wondering if they're too good, if the levels seem appropriate, the general stuff. Anyway, here they are, the time distortion spells (which sound way scarier than they are now that i look at the name)

For clarity on the levels they gain these spells at I am thinking of going with the wizard advancement (2nd level at 3rd, 3rd level at 5th, so on). Chronomancer will also know their entire list and cast spontaneously without need of preparation.

Minor Time Distortion
Transmutation[Chronomancy]
Level: Chr 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Component: V, S
Casting Time: Immediate action
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft/2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

With a speed unknown to those without the gift you alter the time of a creature as it reacts.

You may only cast this spell at the beginning of an encounter as initiative is being rolled. The target of this spell either gains a +2 temporal bonus to its initiative roll or takes a -2 temporal penalty to its initiative roll.

Time Distortion
Level: Chr 1, Sor/Wiz 1

With a speed unknown to those without the gift you alter the time of a creature as it reacts.

This spell functions in all ways as Minor Time Distortion except that the bonus or penalty this spell bestows is equal to 1/2 the caster's level up to a maximum of 5 at 10th level.

Major Time Distortion
Level: Chr 2, Sor/Wiz 3

This spell functions in all ways as Minor Time Distortion except that the bonus or penalty this spell bestows is equal to the caster's level up to a maximum of 20 at 20th level.

retaliation08
2018-03-31, 08:10 PM
These seem to work like the 1st level spell, Nerveskitter, which is an immediate +5 initiative for target.

I cant think of any reasons why someone wouldn't just use Nerveskitter instead of these, but there are a couple.

If you made a caveat in which this line of spells could counter Nerveskitter, there would be some utility.
The only other main draw I see is that the imposition of an initiative penalty would be favorable in a conflict with a single powerful enemy.

I don't see any issues with them as they are (although I have a personal aversion to hostile spell effects without saves), just not a compelling reason to learn them over what already exists.

There is also the 1st level Cleric spell, Sign, that might be worth looking at as you work on these.

artimus261
2018-03-31, 08:19 PM
yeah i was hoping the flexibility of a penalty would make them interesting. even with multiple enemies it would be useful to penalize the enemy mage and such to try and let the team go ahead, i am thinking of dropping the level of the major one down a level to be 2nd level chronomancer spell and a 3rd level sorc/wiz spell. considering that while yes they grow to be a whopping +20 initiative/-20 initiative it still takes forever to get there so it definitely wouldn't be overpowering dropping it down.

have also been battling with the concept of all chronomancy spells ignoring spell resistance since they alter the time itself as opposed to targeting a creature 'per se'. would definitely help them shine a little bit more but would have to be freakishly careful with what they were capable of doing

it should also be mentioned that the chronomancer is going to know his whole list so it won't be them having to pick these spells over others or wasting preparations on them either, might help them look a little better in that context

P.S. thanks for adding that tidbit about Sign! never seen that one and definitely deserves to be on the list for them! granting character knowledge of the turn order is pretty damn interesting

P.P.S. definitely won't have them ignoring SR would just be too freakin broke unless they just sucked anyways x(

retaliation08
2018-03-31, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure what kind of fluff you are going with (i.e. if its general time manipulation, altering specific timelines for creatures, or a bit of both), but Haste and Slow seem like obvious candidates. It could also be interesting to explore the touch/ray line of Enfeeblement, Clumsiness, Stupidity etc. These spells could be reflavored as aging or retro-aging creatures. Could also explore the possibilities of "stealing time" from creatures or "transferring time" from one creature to another (with time representing concepts like age or mechanical concepts such as xp, levels, physical or mental stats). Just food for thought :)

artimus261
2018-03-31, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure what kind of fluff you are going with (i.e. if its general time manipulation, altering specific timelines for creatures, or a bit of both), but Haste and Slow seem like obvious candidates. It could also be interesting to explore the touch/ray line of Enfeeblement, Clumsiness, Stupidity etc. These spells could be reflavored as aging or retro-aging creatures. Could also explore the possibilities of "stealing time" from creatures or "transferring time" from one creature to another (with time representing concepts like age or mechanical concepts such as xp, levels, physical or mental stats). Just food for thought :)

oh yeah, going for a lot of that, already have a base list set up for the class with a healthy amount of spells that already exist, now just trying to make some ones specifically for them.

have some spells that can add years and take away years of time, though they have durations on them so it's not permanent

thanks for the tips though! appreciate the time <3

I'll probably just post the base list here just to do it

artimus261
2018-03-31, 09:05 PM
here's their spell list so far, they have things against law since they focus on tampering with one of the most lawful forces in existence

also have a crap load of conjuration(teleportation) spells as i want them to represent masters of time AND space

Spell List
0: Arcane Mark, Detect Magic, Guidance, Know Direction, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Read Magic,

1st: Alarm, Benign Transposition(SpCmp), Comprehend Languages, Lesser Deflect(PHBII), Delay Disease(SpCmp), Detect Law, Dimension Hop(PHBII), Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Swift Haste(SpCmp), Healthful Rest(CmpAdv), Hold Portal, Identify, Sign(MiniHB), Stand(PHBII),

2nd: Augury, Baleful Transposition(SpCmp), Lesser Celerity(PHBII), Deflect(PHBII), Delay Poison, Hold Person, Locate Object, Make Whole, Remove Paralysis,

3rd: Anticipate Teleportation(SpCmp), Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Crumble(SpCmp), Dimension Step(PHBII), Dispel Magic, Haste, Regroup(PHBII), Rust Ray(SpCmp), Slow,

4th: Celerity(PHBII), Detect Scrying, Dimension Door, Dimensional Anchor, Locate Creature, Rusting Grasp, Scrying, Sending,

5th: Contact Other Plane, Greater Dimension Door(SpCmp), Dimension Shuffle(PHBII), Dispel Law, Fabricate, Hold Monster, Permanency, Teleport,

6th: Greater Anticipate Teleportation(SpCmp), Greater Dispel Magic, Mass Hold Person, Word of Recall,

7th: Dwarmij’s Instant Summons, Phase Door, Greater Scrying, Teleport Object, Greater Teleport,

8th: Binding, Greater Celerity(PHBII), Dimensional Lock, Discern Location, Maze, Moment of Prescience, Power Word Stun, Temporal Stasis,

9th: Foresight, Gate, Mass Hold Monster, Implosion, Teleportation Circle, Time Stop,

artimus261
2018-03-31, 09:14 PM
Would a 2nd level spell that slows one target and hastes one ally be decent? It's effectively stealing the time from the enemy and granting it to the ally

Grants the slow and haste effect a spell level earlier and bestows both with a single spell.

JNAProductions
2018-03-31, 09:16 PM
Would a 2nd level spell that slows one target and hastes one ally be decent? It's effectively stealing the time from the enemy and granting it to the ally

Grants the slow and haste effect a spell level earlier and bestows both with a single spell.

So, not only does it do more than either spell on its own, it's lower level too?

artimus261
2018-03-31, 09:19 PM
So, not only does it do more than either spell on its own, it's lower level too?

Haste and slow are both one target/level spells. In sheer power this 2nd level spell pales in comparison, but is earlier and quicker functionally.

This spell also makes it possible to not even give the ally haste if the enemy succeeds on his save against the slow effect.

Whereas haste, at level 5, boom, whole party is hasted for one level 3 spell for 5 rounds.

Definitely think this 2nd level version would be balanced out when comparing them to what the level 3 spells do

retaliation08
2018-03-31, 10:39 PM
I think if you made it concentration for a limited number of rounds like 3, it would balance more. Like the Chronomancer is actively transferring the time every round.

Standard Action Cast
Concentration Max 3 rounds
Close Range
2 Willing targets that must remain within 30ft of each other.
Fort Negates (Harmless)

Make the hostile version with unwilling targets a level higher like Benign and Baleful Transposition.

artimus261
2018-03-31, 11:42 PM
See i can't see that being useful at all. You slow another ally and have to concentrate??? So two party members get crippled all that one gets the overall minor benefit of haste??? @_@ maybe as a level one xP seems like way too much effort for not enough benefit

retaliation08
2018-04-01, 09:34 AM
You could slow yourself since you are concentrating. Or slow your familiar, or a summons, etc.

It may not be a great idea, I was just brainstorming. Haste and Slow affect 3 5 creatures at their base level. Maybe limiting this spell to a single target is enough. Playtest :)

artimus261
2018-04-01, 11:17 AM
Haste and slow are level 3 spells that a wizard can get 5th level meaning they can target up to 5 creatures the moment you get them. And sorcerers have to wait till 6th but target 6.

I'll have some friends test it with me today and see how it goes. Think the lack of targets will make this okay as a single spell

artimus261
2018-04-02, 12:31 AM
Adding one detail that forces the enemy that is slowed and the ally that is hasted to remain with 15ft of each other. If one moves out of that range the effect ends on both.