PDA

View Full Version : "Yes i broke all of his bones. It was self-defence!"(feat)

CabbageTheif
2007-08-31, 04:00 PM
"The dojo to the North teaches Aikido, the art of defeating your opponent with his own force by way of many throws and trips. I, however, am from the school of Hapkido, the art of defeating you opponents with his own force by throwing him and breaking as many bones as i can before he reaches the ground" Tsurugi Sen, martial artist adventurer

pre-requisits
imprroved grapple
improved unarmed strike
improved sunder

by going thrrough a grapple and then a sunder attempt, you can attempt to break your opponents bones. you must declaire whether you are going to attack an arm or a leg, and with what you are attacking (hit or kick). breaking a leg with a leg is a normal sunder attempt, and arm with arm is also a normal sunder attempt. to attack the opposite (ie leg with arm or arm with leg) you receive a -4 penalty on attack rolls.

now... tear it appart, and does anyone have rules on strength of bones?

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-08-31, 04:12 PM
I do! One second, getting my book. . .

. . . Okay got it. Hardness of 6 and 10 hp per inch.

Korias
2007-08-31, 04:18 PM
It is possible to sunder a bone without a feat required for such athing.

Also, please put feats and other home brew material in standard 3.5 Format. Fixing your spelling by running it through a spell checker is also a good idea.

adanedhel9
2007-08-31, 04:30 PM
Is there any advantage to going after an arm with a leg, or vice versa? If not, then I'd say that specifying which you are attacking with is a needless complication.

Do you have any specifics on penalties for broken bones? I've never seen any.

In general, attacking specific body parts doesn't mesh well with D&D. As levels increase, a character with this feat will be more and more likely to completely immobilize his opponents (due to bones not getting any harder or tougher as levels increase). Do you have any ideas on how to deal with that?

It is possible to sunder a bone without a feat required for such athing.

Well, yes and no. There are no rules to support the sundering of a bone at all, that I'm aware of. But, assuming that sundering a bone works the same as sundering a weapon, you can attempt it without the feat - the issue is if you have any decent chance of success.

Korias
2007-08-31, 05:08 PM
Well, yes and no. There are no rules to support the sundering of a bone at all, that I'm aware of. But, assuming that sundering a bone works the same as sundering a weapon, you can attempt it without the feat - the issue is if you have any decent chance of success.

Actually, I was thinking of the fact that you can just drop a large object or something on the arm. or use a blunt weapon to just smash it.

jindra34
2007-08-31, 05:46 PM
In general, attacking specific body parts doesn't mesh well with D&D. As levels increase, a character with this feat will be more and more likely to completely immobilize his opponents (due to bones not getting any harder or tougher as levels increase). Do you have any ideas on how to deal with that?

I would say limb HP should be about equal to x+hd or hp/y to represent training.

TheThan
2007-08-31, 05:49 PM
How about these:

Hapkido
Insert flavor text here

Benefit:
This feat grants a +2 bonus on all unarmed sunder attempts made to break the bones of enemies. This can be done while in a grapple at no penalty. However it can be preformed only on living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to Hapkido attacks. Normal bones have a Hardness of 6 and 10 hp per inch.
Normal:
You cannot perform a sunder attempt while in a grapple.

Jujitsu
Insert flavor text here

Benefit
While grappling and pinning your opponent, you may make an unarmed sunder attempt to break bones (at no penalty). You also gain the joint locking combat action. In addition to this you may make attacks against your grappled foe at a –2 penalty.

Normal
Normally while grappling and pinning your opponent, you cannot make sunder attempts to break bones and you do not have access to the Joint locking special combat action. Also you suffer a –4 penalty to attacks made while grappling instead of the –2 penalty.

Joint locking
While grappling your opponent you may attempt to incapacitate your opponent by pulling and twisting his joints in different directions to cause pain. When you attempt this you must first deal damage as per the dealing damage while grappling rules. You deal regular damage and your opponent must make a fortitude save (DC ½ your character level) or become helpless for 1d4 rounds.

Arakune
2007-08-31, 07:13 PM
you can make a more easy way to broke bones:

Shatter Body
prerequisites: Improved Unnarmed Attack, Improved Grapple, Special
benefits: You can use the folowing manuveurs:

Limb Break: BAB +4
When sucefully grappling your oponent you may substitute your normal damage to a special attack: both you and your oponents make a oposed Str check (add the Wis bonus to anyone with improved grapple feat, rolling again if both rolls are equals) and if you win you roll the damage normaly and the oponent must make a Fort check (DC15+damage taken) or else receive the damage in form of *Str and *Dex damage and -2 penalty to any task that otherwise requires that limb or a penalty of 50% on the target speed. The oponent also must make a Will check (DC15+damage taken) or receive another -2 penalty to any task that requires concentration due the pain. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this secondary effect and creatures that don't have a distingible anatomy are immune to this attack (such as oozes and some aberrations).

Soft Break/Imobilizing: BAB+1
Use the same mechanics of Limb Break, but instead of doing *Str and *Dex damage you only do *Dex damage or you can imobilize your oponent by a number of rounds without making another oposed Str check equal to your Str bonus + Wis bonus (or only Str bonus if your oponent have the improved grapple feat)

Death Break: BAB +12, Able to do Counter Grapple
Use the same mechanics of the Limb Break manuveur, but instead of doing *Str and *Dex damage you will deal *Con damage to your oponent. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this manuveur.

Counter Grapple: BAB +6, Combat Reflexes, Wis 13
When figthing defensively and an oponent makes an attack (unnarmed:+0, non-reach/ranged: -4, reach or ranged: automatic fail) against you he provoques an attack of oportunity where you can make a grapple attemp . If you win the grapple attemp you can imediatly either make a normal grapple damage or use any manuveurs of this feat , additioning his Str bonus to your damage.

Trip Break: BAB +8, Improved Trip, Wis 13 (my favourite ^^)
When attempting to do the Limb Break or Death Break manuveur, you may chose make a trip attemp without losing the grapple. If you are sucefull on the manuveur you do double the normal damage and you and your oponent are prone, but you still mantain your grapple.

*OBS: the Str and Dex damage takes 1 month by 3 points of damage taken to heal normaly. The Con damage takes 2 months by 5 points of damage taken to heal normaly.

Dryad
2007-09-01, 07:59 AM
That's a bit... Powerful, innit?

Arakune
2007-09-01, 02:16 PM
That's a bit... Powerful, innit?

it's a start at least since the normal rulles for grappling don't give any gides to this mean figthing style, and having your neck (Con) broke are almost insta death (sometimes the target are still alive but may take some permanent damages) and it takes a lot of time to normaly heal a bone, but i guess I can work it out. Just gimme a sec :smallwink:

Mewtarthio
2007-09-01, 04:41 PM
Hang on, let me see if I've got this straight:

Limb Break: BAB +4
When sucefully grappling your oponent you may substitute your normal damage to a special attack: both you and your oponents make a oposed Str check (add the Wis bonus to anyone with improved grapple feat, rolling again if both rolls are equals) and if you win you roll the damage normaly and the oponent must make a Fort check (DC15+damage taken) or else receive the damage in form of *Str and *Dex damage and -2 penalty to any task that otherwise requires that limb or a penalty of 50% on the target speed. The oponent also must make a Will check (DC15+damage taken) or receive another -2 penalty to any task that requires concentration due the pain. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this secondary effect and creatures that don't have a distingible anatomy are immune to this attack (such as oozes and some aberrations).

Your opponent makes a strength check opposed by your combined strength/wisdom check. If you win, you deal unarmed damage in the form of Str and Dex damage (such that 1 point of HP damage = 1 point of Str damage and 1 point of Dex damage). So, for, say, a sixth-level monk, once the opponent fails the strength check, you're forcing an average DC 20 + Str Fort save to avoid an average of 5 + Str points of damage to both Str and Dex, as well as a -2 penalty to anything requiring use of whatever limb you break (like, say, further strength checks). You can do this as often as you like with no penalty.

Soft Break/Imobilizing: BAB+1
Use the same mechanics of Limb Break, but instead of doing *Str and *Dex damage you only do *Dex damage or you can imobilize your oponent by a number of rounds without making another oposed Str check equal to your Str bonus + Wis bonus (or only Str bonus if your oponent have the improved grapple feat)

If they fail the average DC 20 + Str Fort save, you may, if you prefer, immobilize them for a number of rounds equal to your combined Strength and Wisdom modifiers (remember, you're a Monk right now). No details are given on what "immobilize" means, so depending on your DM you might simply deny them movement, attack, and Dex to AC or you might render them vulnerable to a coup de gras. For Str + Wis rounds.

Death Break: BAB +12, Able to do Counter Grapple
Use the same mechanics of the Limb Break manuveur, but instead of doing *Str and *Dex damage you will deal *Con damage to your oponent. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this manuveur.

Now we're getting serious with a sixteenth-level monk. If the victim fails an average DC 24 + Str Fort save he takes an average of 9 + Str Con damage. Again, this is whenever you feel like it.

Counter Grapple: BAB +6, Combat Reflexes, Wis 13
When figthing defensively and an oponent makes an attack (unnarmed:+0, non-reach/ranged: -4, reach or ranged: automatic fail) against you he provoques an attack of oportunity where you can make a grapple attemp . If you win the grapple attemp you can imediatly either make a normal grapple damage or use any manuveurs of this feat , additioning his Str bonus to your damage.

Whenever your opponent makes any melee attack against you, you can grapple him as an AoO (though you take a penalty if he's armed) and, if successful, do one of the above.

Trip Break: BAB +8, Improved Trip, Wis 13 (my favourite ^^)
When attempting to do the Limb Break or Death Break manuveur, you may chose make a trip attemp without losing the grapple. If you are sucefull on the manuveur you do double the normal damage and you and your oponent are prone, but you still mantain your grapple.

When someone fails one of the above Fort saves, you get a free trip attempt.

---

So, is all that accurate?

Arakune
2007-09-01, 08:54 PM
Hang on, let me see if I've got this straight:
-----------------
Your opponent makes a strength check opposed by your combined strength/wisdom check. If you win, you deal unarmed damage in the form of Str and Dex damage (such that 1 point of HP damage = 1 point of Str damage and 1 point of Dex damage). So, for, say, a sixth-level monk, once the opponent fails the strength check, you're forcing an average DC 20 + Str Fort save to avoid an average of 5 + Str points of damage to both Str and Dex, as well as a -2 penalty to anything requiring use of whatever limb you break (like, say, further strength checks). You can do this as often as you like with no penalty.
----------------------
If they fail the average DC 20 + Str Fort save, you may, if you prefer, immobilize them for a number of rounds equal to your combined Strength and Wisdom modifiers (remember, you're a Monk right now). No details are given on what "immobilize" means, so depending on your DM you might simply deny them movement, attack, and Dex to AC or you might render them vulnerable to a coup de gras. For Str + Wis rounds.
----------------------
Now we're getting serious with a sixteenth-level monk. If the victim fails an average DC 24 + Str Fort save he takes an average of (9+Str) Con damage. Again, this is whenever you feel like it.
----------------------
Whenever your opponent makes any melee attack against you, you can grapple him as an AoO (though you take a penalty if he's armed) and, if successful, do one of the above.
-------------------------------
When someone fails one of the above Fort saves, you get a free trip attempt.
---
So, is all that accurate?

1st:Yes, since it's a manuveur, not a special ability.
2nd:Well, when you are imobilized it's very simple for someone to stab the guy or do some 'finiching blow' on the target, but that varies from DM to DM.
These two manuveurs are the non-letal-yet-absurdly-painfull attacks.

3rd:Yes, think about 'snaping' the target neck or spine. They aren't very healty after that.
4th:Exactly.
5th:And, by using your own weight and one of the primal forces of universe, you can deal more damage (2x Str). Just look at some UFC fights and you can get the picture of how this can be usefull and I forgot to say:

If you fail the manuveur, you automaticaly loses your grappling and fall prone

Abjurer
2007-09-01, 09:34 PM
Joint locking
While grappling your opponent you may attempt to incapacitate your opponent by pulling and twisting his joints in different directions to cause pain. When you attempt this you must first deal damage as per the dealing damage while grappling rules. You deal regular damage and your opponent must make a fortitude save (DC ½ your character level) or become helpless for 1d4 rounds.

The Fort DC should be based on the damage dealt. Like, DC = damage dealt.
And the time your opponent is hopeless should be as long as you hold on.

Then again, why don't you just use pins, like in the player's handbook?