PDA

View Full Version : Factotums and Wands, Scrolls, etc.

Yogibear41
2018-04-01, 01:05 AM
Can a Factotum use wands and scrolls of spells of the wizard/sorcerer spell list without making a UMD check? are they considered to be on his list?

In addition would a factotum be able to use eternal wands without a umd, since ANY arcane caster can use one, even if the spell in question is not on their spell list?

Finally if a factotum created his own scrolls/wands would he be able to use those without a UMD check?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-04-01, 01:08 AM
Factotums don't actually cast spells; they use SLAs. Neither do they have an actual spell list or spells known.

So, no, to all of your questions. They always need to use UMD for scrolls and wands and all versions thereof.

Finally if a factotum created his own scrolls/wands would he be able to use those without a UMD check?I believe creatures with SLAs can craft using them, but said factotum would still need to UMD what he crafted due to the above.

Ethernil
2018-04-01, 05:40 AM
Actually the factotum is so badly written it is only rivaled by the chameleon. In the same paragraph it says he casts arcane spells preparing them and also that he casts them as spell like abilities. It is open to reader interpretation. I believe they said he casts them as spell like abilities to justify that he suffers no arcane spell failure. The wordt interpretation i have seen is that they are neither spells nor spelllike abilities but thats just stupid.

Hunter Noventa
2018-04-02, 09:29 AM
Actually the factotum is so badly written it is only rivaled by the chameleon. In the same paragraph it says he casts arcane spells preparing them and also that he casts them as spell like abilities. It is open to reader interpretation. I believe they said he casts them as spell like abilities to justify that he suffers no arcane spell failure. The wordt interpretation i have seen is that they are neither spells nor spelllike abilities but thats just stupid.

It's kind of implied that the Factotum is halfway making it up as they go along with casting spells. Like ' i saw a wizard do this once so I can mostly fake my way through it'. Part of that faking is also faking the preparation process. Of course this isn't RAW at all, just how I view it.