PDA

View Full Version : Factotum Crafting question.

Yogibear41
2018-04-01, 01:50 PM
Say I have a factotum who wants to create an item that has limited wish as a prerequisite, now a factotum cannot normally cast limited wish because it has an XP component. However when creating a magic item, one does not actually cast the spell, you only "expend the spell slot" so does that mean I could technically prepare a limited wish, since I have access to the entire wizard/sorcerer list, then expend the slot and not cast it, to meet the item prerequisite?

Zaq
2018-04-01, 01:57 PM
I mean, Factotums don't really have "slots" to expend the way that normal casters do. And while the Factotum's entry is worded horribly enough that that it doesn't specifically forbid it, I personally wouldn't try to get away with "preparing" a spell that you "cannot use."

A really merciful GM might allow it, but I personally think that it doesn't really work very well, and I wouldn't accuse a GM who shut it down of reaching far past RAW to meddle with player abilities, if that makes sense.

BowStreetRunner
2018-04-02, 07:41 AM
"You cannot use spells that require an XP cost." As a DM, I would consider providing a spell during item creation to count as 'using' a spell.

Goaty14
2018-04-02, 07:59 AM
No.

Expending a slot is the same as casting it.