PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Mechanical Mayhem, Help with campaign monsters and general sanity check?

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-04-01, 03:02 PM
Hey playground, I'm currently designing the framework of a campaign for 4-8 players (four will be frequent the other four would drop in when they could) This will be my first campaign that I DM. I want the campaign to essentially be based on Mechanus' constructs being corrupted and starting to attack the world, act contrary to their natures and basic things like that. I want to take the campaign to at least level 20. But what I'm finding is that in 5e there isn't all that many monsters that work for a mechanical being type of enemy. The ones that I have read about are Modrons, Inevitables, Golems (kind of), and shield guardians. I know inevitables will be in Mordekanians and the other three are very easily reskinned to something else.

Here's kind of what I'm thinking

1-5, they are fighting Invading Modrons and and possibly some kind of leader type unit to cap off tier 1.
6-10 Resecuring places that were taken over by the corrupted mechs I.e. lowish level guardians with bunches of mooks to help them hold those locations.
11-15 ???? I'm honestly lost on what to put here, maybe taking on the inevitable's or high powered corrupted constructs/demigods. Something like a corrupted keeper of the law of gravity or something like that. though I feel those would be better off in tier 4.
16-20-cleansing the machines of mechanus of this blight. this would be where i would put the super powered keepers. With probably a stop off in each of the elemental planes.
20+ Going into Limbo and fighting the entropic blight. Sundering the place where the corruption is happening, Lots of modified monsters but not necessarily mechanical at this point.

What Monsters would you recommend reskinning for this type of campaign?
Are there any that I'm missing? (probably from past editions but that's okay) If so what books should I get to find out about those?
Any advice for running this type of campaign?
Any Lore that I should definitely read up on for this kind of thing?

JackPhoenix
2018-04-01, 06:48 PM
Turn them into not-Borg. They either assimilate or make construct copies of normal beings. Just take normal monsters and give them the usual construct immunities (charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned, and poison damage). You may need to bump up CR on behalf of immunities to many CC effects, perhaps be little creative with attacks (robo sharks with friggin' LASERS!).