PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Firbolg sorcerer

gombaonfire
2018-04-01, 03:55 PM
so in a campaign my friend is running he has given us basically free run on what ever characters we wish to make and an idea i had come up was a wild magic Firbolg sorcerer. the only thing i have thought for a backstory is that he is the oldest of the clan and the magic has only recently surfaced but i can't think of a great reason yet, i would really like some cool backstory and role-playing idea's.feel free to include spell idea's that fit with the roll playing, i would rather have a fun fluff character than just the strongest character.

Protato
2018-04-01, 04:01 PM
so in a campaign my friend is running he has given us basically free run on what ever characters we wish to make and an idea i had come up was a wild magic Firbolg sorcerer. the only thing i have thought for a backstory is that he is the oldest of the clan and the magic has only recently surfaced but i can't think of a great reason yet, i would really like some cool backstory and role-playing idea's.feel free to include spell idea's that fit with the roll playing, i would rather have a fun fluff character than just the strongest character.

Firbolg are associated with nature, so it's possible his wild magic surfaced as a result of this.

Honest Tiefling
2018-04-01, 08:12 PM
Firbolg are associated with nature, so it's possible his wild magic surfaced as a result of this.

Building on this, the Firbolg in question was supposed to inherit the title of chief. But strange sightings, such as moors igniting and random lightning without storms are appearing. Then, the character finds out that they are a wild magic sorcerer, and whatever has been affecting the land has affected them. At first, the clan might try to keep him around, as his powers are formidable and he is the son of a powerful priestess and the clan's chieftain. However, the tribe shaman casts out the character after an accidental use of magic sets the village on fire, killing the former chieftain. Now bereft of kin and title, he must figure out what is causing issues with the magic of his lands in order to go back home...Or decide to make a new home.

Okay, it's kinda Durkon's story, but it still works.

RedMage125
2018-04-02, 02:36 AM
OR, since Fey are also closely tied with nature and they are EXTREMELY Chaotic, his powers could be a blessing from an archfey. Or, alternately, the result of a curse from crossing one. Perhaps the flavor could be that he was training to be a druid/shaman, and had some kind of encounter with a fey who was feeling playful. Or saved the fey's life. Or maybe he accidentally killed a deer that the Summer Queen was particularly fond of.

Really, any and all fey-related shenanigans are wide open here. Wild Magic could be the result of a fey making the firbolg's magic go haywire as a curse, or the fey could have genuinely given him the powers, thinking they were a blessing. Or hey, maybe it was an accident, and he just fell through a portal into the feywild or drank some fey wine or something and it changed him. You can flavor him as having already been training to be some other kind of spellcaster, but now he's a sorcerer, because Fey. As a general rule, I have fey magic be extremely whimsical and rule-breaking anyway.

I once had a party crossing through a major forest through fey territory. At one point, they realized they had been traveling in circles, despite numerous successful Survival checks to navigate. Then they detected a pair of faerie dragons (which are fey in my world), who were giggling like mad. When they addressed them and asked to be let go (after admitting that the joke WAS very funny) the dragons said "only if you pull your pants up". I had the Fighter make a Will save - he failed. He looked down, and his pants were, indeed, around his ankles. Which he corrected. He then realized that that shouldn't have been possible since he was wearing full plate. Thus is the nature of faerie magic.

gombaonfire
2018-04-02, 11:35 AM
Building on this, the Firbolg in question was supposed to inherit the title of chief. But strange sightings, such as moors igniting and random lightning without storms are appearing. Then, the character finds out that they are a wild magic sorcerer, and whatever has been affecting the land has affected them. At first, the clan might try to keep him around, as his powers are formidable and he is the son of a powerful priestess and the clan's chieftain. However, the tribe shaman casts out the character after an accidental use of magic sets the village on fire, killing the former chieftain. Now bereft of kin and title, he must figure out what is causing issues with the magic of his lands in order to go back home...Or decide to make a new home.

Okay, it's kinda Durkon's story, but it still works.

i think this is very cool idea but i'm not sure i could make it work since they way it is set up the magic started affecting him without a trigger. i do think you can have an innate source of magic with wild magic but i feel there would need to be a trigger before the storms, something to awaken the latent magic energy.

gombaonfire
2018-04-02, 11:39 AM
OR, since Fey are also closely tied with nature and they are EXTREMELY Chaotic, his powers could be a blessing from an archfey. Or, alternately, the result of a curse from crossing one. Perhaps the flavor could be that he was training to be a druid/shaman, and had some kind of encounter with a fey who was feeling playful. Or saved the fey's life. Or maybe he accidentally killed a deer that the Summer Queen was particularly fond of.

Really, any and all fey-related shenanigans are wide open here. Wild Magic could be the result of a fey making the firbolg's magic go haywire as a curse, or the fey could have genuinely given him the powers, thinking they were a blessing. Or hey, maybe it was an accident, and he just fell through a portal into the feywild or drank some fey wine or something and it changed him. You can flavor him as having already been training to be some other kind of spellcaster, but now he's a sorcerer, because Fey. As a general rule, I have fey magic be extremely whimsical and rule-breaking anyway.

i'm not gonna lie these idea's are far more creative than the stuff that crossed my mind when i was thinking before asking for help, the only thing is i haven't read up to much on Fey lore. do you know if they are prone to being out beyond certain areas or are they tied to a certain location and just cause mayhem in said area.

Quoz
2018-04-02, 01:02 PM
I'm playing a Firbolg fighter right now and loving it. The racial spells and abilities are all very flavorful and useful.

With your Firbolg backstory you are looking for two main themes: why you are an adventurer and how you got your magic. These can be the same source or completely independent.

Are you a lone survivor, were you separated from your tribe, exiled, or on some sort of pilgrimage? In other words, how eager are you to reconnect with your kin and how would they react if you were to meet them again?

As for your magic, was it innate? Did it come from one of your parents consisting with something powerful and unnatural? Did you draw magic from a tainted land in a time of desperation? Firbolg as a rule are defined by a deep tie with nature. Chaos magic could be a corruption of that bond, but could also be a balance the cosmos kind of thing - you drain off and release the taint of the world around you. Fluff the chaos with random plant growth, swarms of insects, purifying flames, ect.

Honest Tiefling
2018-04-02, 05:36 PM
i think this is very cool idea but i'm not sure i could make it work since they way it is set up the magic started affecting him without a trigger. i do think you can have an innate source of magic with wild magic but i feel there would need to be a trigger before the storms, something to awaken the latent magic energy.

Do you feel like there should be one, or want one? If you don't want one, it's wild magic and wild magic is going to wild magic, screw the rules! If you DO want one, I'd ask your DM. It'd be a good way to tie your character to the plot and be so important to their goals that well...It should probably be tied to your campaign's plot.

i'm not gonna lie these idea's are far more creative than the stuff that crossed my mind when i was thinking before asking for help, the only thing is i haven't read up to much on Fey lore. do you know if they are prone to being out beyond certain areas or are they tied to a certain location and just cause mayhem in said area.

Fey gonna fey. Don't need no stinking rules! But ask your DM, because this is an important setting detail. And you might get brownie points for working with their setting, not against it.

gombaonfire
2018-04-04, 07:00 PM
not to sound rude but that was kinda the whole point of the thread in that yes i did want a reason for wild magic to come to him. my whole thing is i find most people on this site clever and interesting to help come up with something good.

Fey gonna fey. Don't need no stinking rules! But ask your DM, because this is an important setting detail. And you might get brownie points for working with their setting, not against it.

i should mentioned i asked about fay because my dm and i started playing d&d at the same time and as of right now we have been present at all of each others session with 1 exception. so he is in the same boat as far as our knowledge of fey. i asked because i feel it would allow us to have a better understanding and use of fey in the future.

Tanngrisnr
2018-04-04, 08:49 PM

Came up with this.

As a Firbolg you enjoy solitude, spending time alone in the silent forests that surround your home. As the elder of your clan, you are the keeper of the very few rules that bound your society. One day you were out to your remote "thinking place", to meditate on recent events that trouble your clan. You spent days meditating about troubles that may or may not be in fact relevant.

On your way back you became thirsty, and you veered off the usual path to find a spring or small waterfall where you could quench your thirst.

After a few minutes you found a spring that you had never noticed before, despite knowing the forests well. It was a source of clean water and the surrounding area was surprisingly pleasant. You drank the water.

That's when a small woodland critter turned to yu and said: "That's disgusting, man. You should be ashamed." (remember, firbolgs can talk to animals)

"'Beg your pardon?"

"The water, man, disgusting." - the small critter says as it goes away.

Aside from this strange encounter, your return to the clan was notably uneventful.

After a few hours, weird things started to happen to you. Flashes of light blocking your sight. Smoke coming out of your ears.

One day, while greeting a neighbor by the morning, you ended up yelling at him. Not just the neighbor. It was impossible to keep your voice down that day. On another occasion, you were forced to hide your hair under a hat as you woke up with the curly and luscious lime-green locks. Small lights and fires. Water that turned to jello. A meeting with yourself after going around a corner. Things certainly were not normal and that was starting to bother your peaceful and silent way of life. You're too old for this nonsense, but despite the discomfort, the crazy little events now in your life were not endangering to you or your friends.

However, one night you woke up in the middle of your sleep to find your house was on fire. People were screaming on the streets outside, calling for you. You jumped out of bed and through a window to land on the street. With the conjoined effort of your clanmates you were able to put out the fire. Everyone was okay. Phisically, even you were okay. But not really. Something was wrong and it all began the day you drank that water.

You headed back to the woods to find the spring once again. You couldn't. But your furry little friend was there.

"Yuck. Back for more, pervert? No luck for you. The crossing is gone." - it said.

"What?" - you replied with confusion.

"Playing the saint now, pervert? Oh, I'm so innocent. I drank 'fey juice' and I know nothing about it. Pervert." - it said mockingly.

"Fey juice? What?"

"C'mon. You know it, pervet. You know what you did."

"..."

"Really? So you drank from the same spring, from the exact same spot that weird Satyr was having a 'party' with some nymphs? You drank the water seconds after they left and now you know nothig about it? Don't make me laugh."

"Satyr... partying with nymphs? Fey... juice?" - that's when you puke.

"Hey. You're for real then? Well, tough luck, bro. See ya."

Whatever the hell happened to you it was pretty clear that you couldn't go home. Your friends and family would be in danger, you would ruin their lives, their peaceful lives. You cannot allow this curse to affect your loved ones.

That's how you left the forests you called home.

Maybe you're not up for playing this type of character.

gombaonfire
2018-04-04, 11:56 PM
Came up with this.

Spoiler:As a Firbolg you enjoy solitude, spending time alone in the silent forests that surround your home. As the elder of your clan, you are the keeper of the very few rules that bound your society. One day you were out to your remote "thinking place", to meditate on recent events that trouble your clan. You spent days meditating about troubles that may or may not be in fact relevant.

On your way back you became thirsty, and you veered off the usual path to find a spring or small waterfall where you could quench your thirst.

After a few minutes you found a spring that you had never noticed before, despite knowing the forests well. It was a source of clean water and the surrounding area was surprisingly pleasant. You drank the water.

That's when a small woodland critter turned to yu and said: "That's disgusting, man. You should be ashamed." (remember, firbolgs can talk to animals)

"'Beg your pardon?"

"The water, man, disgusting." - the small critter says as it goes away.

Aside from this strange encounter, your return to the clan was notably uneventful.

After a few hours, weird things started to happen to you. Flashes of light blocking your sight. Smoke coming out of your ears.

One day, while greeting a neighbor by the morning, you ended up yelling at him. Not just the neighbor. It was impossible to keep your voice down that day. On another occasion, you were forced to hide your hair under a hat as you woke up with the curly and luscious lime-green locks. Small lights and fires. Water that turned to jello. A meeting with yourself after going around a corner. Things certainly were not normal and that was starting to bother your peaceful and silent way of life. You're too old for this nonsense, but despite the discomfort, the crazy little events now in your life were not endangering to you or your friends.

However, one night you woke up in the middle of your sleep to find your house was on fire. People were screaming on the streets outside, calling for you. You jumped out of bed and through a window to land on the street. With the conjoined effort of your clanmates you were able to put out the fire. Everyone was okay. Phisically, even you were okay. But not really. Something was wrong and it all began the day you drank that water.

You headed back to the woods to find the spring once again. You couldn't. But your furry little friend was there.

"Yuck. Back for more, pervert? No luck for you. The crossing is gone." - it said.

"What?" - you replied with confusion.

"Playing the saint now, pervert? Oh, I'm so innocent. I drank 'fey juice' and I know nothing about it. Pervert." - it said mockingly.

"Fey juice? What?"

"C'mon. You know it, pervet. You know what you did."

"..."

"Really? So you drank from the same spring, from the exact same spot that weird Satyr was having a 'party' with some nymphs? You drank the water seconds after they left and now you know nothig about it? Don't make me laugh."

"Satyr... partying with nymphs? Fey... juice?" - that's when you puke.

"Hey. You're for real then? Well, tough luck, bro. See ya."

Whatever the hell happened to you it was pretty clear that you couldn't go home. Your friends and family would be in danger, you would ruin their lives, their peaceful lives. You cannot allow this curse to affect your loved ones.

That's how you left the forests you called home.

Maybe you're not up for playing this type of character.

this is actually a really fun and inventive back story, the only thing i will probably change is that i will have there be a nymph body in the spring, and when he comes back to discover it had gotten loose of some rocks or something of that nature that way he knows that there is more than just him as a danger to his clan and have a reason to go out as an adventure and allow him to work with other. but yeah know this was really fun to read thank you for such a great idea:smallbiggrin: