View Full Version : Ohl'Gresh a new Evil Outsider

ngilop
2018-04-01, 09:29 PM
Ohl'Gresh
Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Evil, Air)
Hit Dice: 15d8+45 (112 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 30ft, fly 50 ft (perfect)
Armor Class: 21, touch 15, flat-footed 16 (+5 dex, +6 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+16
Attack: claw +16 1d6+1 or bite +11 1d3+1
Full Attack: 2 claws +16 melee (1d6+1) and bite +11 melee (1d3+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 7/-, SR 25,resistances.
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +14, Will +11
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 21, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Balance +23, Escape Artist +23, Hide +23, Knowledge (the planes) +19, Knowledge (Arcane) +19, Listen +20, Search +13, Spellcraft +15, Spot +13, Tumble +23,
Feats: DodgeB, Empower Spell-like Ability (Lightning Bolt ), Power Attack, Quicken Spell-like Ability (Battering Ram), Spell Focus (Evocation), Spell Focus (Conjuration), Improved Initiative
Enviroment: The Twisting Void
Organization: Soliatiry, pair, or band (3-8)
Challange Rating: 12
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually NE
Advancement: 16-21 Large
Level Adjustment: —

Ohl'Gresh resemble thin brown fur covered humanoids with elongated necks and a pair of bat-like wings of a variety of colors. The are stronger and more durable than they first appear, and their magic makes them powerful still.

Ohl'gresh, despite their high intellect live in simple hunter/gatherer tribal societies, where older and larger Ohl'Gresh command the respect, fear, and obedience of the younger members.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp): At will— Battering Ram, Detect Magic, Dispel Magic, Mage Armor; 3/day— Glitterdust, Lightning Bolt, Summon Monster V (air elementals only); 1/day— Control Weather, Repulsion Caster Level 12th.

Resistances (Ex): Electricity and Sonic resistance (25); Cold and Fire resistance (10)

rferries
2018-04-02, 02:11 PM
Ohl'Gresh
Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Evil, Air)
Hit Dice: 15d8+45 (112 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 30ft, fly 50 ft (perfect)
Armor Class: 21, touch 15, flat-footed 16 (+5 dex, +6 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+16
Attack: 2 claws +16 1d6+1; bite +11 1d3+1
Full Attack: +16/+11/+6
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 7/-, SR 25,resistances.
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +14, Will +10
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 21, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 10
Skills: Balance +23, Escape Artist +23, Hide +23, Knowledge (the planes) +19, Knowledge (Arcane) +19, Listen +19, Search +12, Spellcraft +15, Spot +12, Tumble +23,
Feats: DodgeB, Empower Spell-like Ability (Lightning Bolt ), Power Attack, Quicken Spell-like Ability (Battering Ram), Spell Focus (Evocation), Spell Focus (Conjuration), Improved Initiative
Enviroment: The Twisting Void
Organization: Soliatiry, pair, or band (3-8)
Challange Rating: 12
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually NE
Advancement: 16-21 Large
Level Adjustment: —

Ohl'Gresh resemble thin brown fur covered humanoids with elongated necks and a pair of bat-like wings of a variety of colors. The are stronger and more durable than they first appear, and their magic makes them powerful still.

Ohl'gresh, despite their high intellect live in simple hunter/gatherer tribal societies, where older and larger Ohl'Gresh command the respect, fear, and obedience of the younger members.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp): At will— Battering Ram, Detect Magic, Dispel Magic, Mage Armor; 3/day— Glitterdust, Lightning Bolt, Summon Monster V (air elementals only); 1/day— Control Weather, Repulsion Caster Level 12th.

Resistances (Ex): Electricity and Sonic resistance (25); Cold and Fire resistance (10)

Looks nice! Some minor edits/quibbles:

1) You say they live in The Twisting Void, implying that they are [Extraplanar], but also mention hunter-gatherer societies, implying they are [Native] outsiders. I'd give them one of those subtypes. (Of course I'm not familiar with the Twisting Void, so it could be an Outer Plane with hunter-gatherer societies).

2) Claw attacks are a bit strong, bite is a bit weak - Pathfinder (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules/#Table_Natural_Attacks_by_Size) is great for standardizing natural attack damage.

Also, the "attack" line should be: "claw +16 melee (1d6+1) or bite +16 melee (1d3+1)".

The "full attack" line should be: "2 claws +16 melee (1d6+1) and bite +11 melee (1d3)". Note the bite only uses 1/2 the Str mod for damage when used as a secondary attack.

3) DR 7/- is slightly unusual; there's only one monster I know of that doesn't have a DR that isn't a multiple of 5 (annis hag, DR 2/-). I'd set it to DR 5 or 10, and consider making it overcome by good, silver, cold iron, or some other quality.

4) The resistances should go under the special qualities line as "resistance to cold and fire 10, resistance to electricity and sonic 25". However the electricity and sonic resistances are also unusual multiples, and are high enough that I'd consider making them actual immunities.

5) VERY minor quibble but the monster should have a base statline of three 10's and three 11's, before racial modifiiers - you have two 10's and four 11's.

6) For simplicity I'd set their SLA caster level to 15th, to equal their Hit Dice.

ngilop
2018-04-03, 05:41 PM
Yeah. Outsiders also have civilizations as well
Or did that change with 3.5? There used to be like the city of Dis and all kinds of other planar cities.

Thanks for the point out on my stats will edit it.

rferries
2018-04-03, 08:14 PM
Yeah. Outsiders also have civilizations as well
Or did that change with 3.5? There used to be like the city of Dis and all kinds of other planar cities.

Thanks for the point out on my stats will edit it.

It can definitely be ruled either way (it's your homebrew! :) ), they just need one of the two subtypes.