PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Gravitation Sorcerer (5e Sorcerous Origin)

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-04-01, 11:54 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10KR5orKCpEvUbb4uHmLJFrK6b1XpGIfYFfVkuDm1qSo

I decided to remake the Gravity Sorcerer I made awhile back, but generally better (I think) this time around. Instead of a nova caster (draconic/storm), “tank” caster (shadow), or pseudo-cleric (divine), this class is meant to function as the controller variant of the sorcerer, gaining basically an offense version of mage hand, learning a rare language, forcing movement within a certain radius, cheaper Telekinesis, and a hover speed with cheaper Reverse Gravity. If you have any suggestions regarding balance or thematic suggestions, feel free to reply. I love talking out these things so they can get better. If you like this subclass, feel free to check out some of my other homebrew stuff.

thegreatone5224
2018-04-02, 12:51 PM
The concept of a gravity sorc is pretty cool but I don't get why that would make mage hand invisible. I also don't quite understand how gravity can pull people to you or push people away.

Overall the class is alright, I'm not a big fan of the final two features, they seem kind of lack luster and don't add much to the gravity control theme.

When I think gravity sorc I think of someone who can make gravity lighter or heavier with the snap of the fingers. Making someone gravitational pull so heavy that they are forced to the ground. Then you lighten the gravity on a boulder and toss it above them before multiplying that gravity causing the boulder to smash down upon them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the gravity theme isn't really too present IMHO. Instead this feels more psionic then anything.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-04-02, 04:57 PM
The concept of a gravity sorc is pretty cool but I don't get why that would make mage hand invisible. I also don't quite understand how gravity can pull people to you or push people away.

Overall the class is alright, I'm not a big fan of the final two features, they seem kind of lack luster and don't add much to the gravity control theme.

When I think gravity sorc I think of someone who can make gravity lighter or heavier with the snap of the fingers. Making someone gravitational pull so heavy that they are forced to the ground. Then you lighten the gravity on a boulder and toss it above them before multiplying that gravity causing the boulder to smash down upon them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the gravity theme isn't really too present IMHO. Instead this feels more psionic then anything.

I’ll admit, I’m not a fan of the mage hand feature. That said, the DM who I’ll be using this for specifically asked for that specifically. My original idea for that feature was that if a spell required a saving throw or be forced to move, the DC for that saving throw was separate from damage and higher than normal. I felt like it helped add in much of the gravity-infused-spells theme. But what the DM wants is what the DM gets.

While Cosmic Wrath and Gravity Master aren’t flashy on paper, I feel like they can be incredibly useful in application. They each offer cheaper alternatives to casting the spell than the traditional sorcerer way of burning points to create the slot. Plus, it means you potentially know another 2 spells without taking up space on your incredibly short spell list. Finally, hover speed is awesome in my opinion, since it’s just a little more versatile than flght.

I get that this class doesn’t necessarily come off as gravity exclusive and could easily be interpreted as a psychic. But if someone wants to use this origin as a psychic or gravity controller, whatever makes them happy works for me.